Juco Linemen?

UNTLifer

I believe we have Brown's ship available, since he's not coming back.

It would be hard to find more than a body at this point in the game. I'm hoping that JJ Johnson and Matt Tomlinson come in ready to play because we desperately need depth at OT. My one criticism of TD's first recruiting class is that I think we should have signed at least a couple more offensive linemen. We are really thin there!

I've already asked this on another thread, but what about Nic Pozderac (# 61 on DMN top area recruits) out of Newman Smith? It still shows him as not being committed. I know he would have a learning curve like the other guys, but he would supply some depth.

I seem to remember he went to a prep school to tune his talent to get recruited to a higher recognized college.

Guest GrayEagleOne

This past year offensive line pickings were extremely thin at the high school level. I believe that the same was true of the JUCO level as well, which may explain why TD didn't sign The few good quality players were quickly snapped up by the BCS teams. There were a few that were available but would require a year to add enough weight to be effective at the 1-A level (whatever it is now called).

JJ Johnson is a center and not a tackle but perhaps he might be able to free Rose to play tackle should Alexander not be able to return. He is undersized but I understand that he may weigh in the 280 range by fall. Tomlinson is another who needs another 20-30 pounds. Probably adequate for a backup but can he stand the pounding every game that a starter would have to take?

One name that I haven't seen in all of this discussion is Adam Venegas. He played a lot last year and may have even started a game or two. Now, I think that he's better suited to defense but maybe he has learned and can be more useful on offense.

Also, Brian Carlson has blocked as a tight end at the JUCO level and weighs in the 270 range. That's a little light but he's similar in frame to Joel Foster who started last year.

Anyway, with Todd's (and the remainder of the staff) coaching contacts, I have a feeling if there's anyone left who can play at this level, they'll find him.

---Juco players work extremely well for basketball (teams are smaller and a lot of good ones are missed coming out of HS or have SAT problems). I don't think it works so well for football..... but there are a few rare exceptions. Lineman may be the best bet since some kids coming out of HS are still growing in size.

There are all kinds of really big guys that didn't get any offers. I've seen Jeremy Reed play and he would be two-year project at the least, but if Coach Leftwich could help him with his technique and Coach Seroka help him build his strength and stamina he could ge a monster.

Trey Baysinger is still out there I believe. He'd be a project as well, but if we could get Reed or Baysinger to walk on and make them EARN the ship then I think we might have something.

Just a thought on getting some beef to protect the QB and open holes for the RB.

There are all kinds of really big guys that didn't get any offers. I've seen Jeremy Reed play and he would be two-year project at the least, but if Coach Leftwich could help him with his technique and Coach Seroka help him build his strength and stamina he could ge a monster.

Trey Baysinger is still out there I believe. He'd be a project as well, but if we could get Reed or Baysinger to walk on and make them EARN the ship then I think we might have something.

Just a thought on getting some beef to protect the QB and open holes for the RB.

Not 100% on this, but I think Fry recruited Baysinger's dad (or maybe his uncle) back in the day. If it was the same one, I don't think he made it to freshmen orientation at (then) NTSU.

I seem to remember he went to a prep school to tune his talent to get recruited to a higher recognized college.

Also, he is only 17. The thought was he could grow some more and enter college at 18.

DD signed a few JUCO lineman that contributed in the early 00's:

Jonah Bense, Lonnie Chambers and Damion Nobles come to mind.