Unt Traditions/spirit Committee (steps To Success)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the seemingly the thousandth time, the mean green name was not generated because of Joe Greene. The defense in the late 60's was known as the "Mean Green" referring to the school color. Joe Greene played on that defense. Joe did not get the nickname of "Mean Joe Greene" until he was in the pros. I think NT has taken a great approach using the unique "Mean Green" as a team name instead of the most overused and unimaginative moniker (Eagles) in the USA. The "Eagles" remain the University's mascot and provide another identifier and a length to the historical progression of the University.

Ok, I get real tired of hearing this. Yes, the most common mascot of ALL of the four year colleges and Universities in the US, is the Eagle (74). However, there are only FOUR Eagle mascots amongst the 100+ D-1 colleges that play D-1 football. Boston College, Eastern Michigan, Southern Miss.....and us.

I am very happy for us to continue to use Mean Green as our nickname. But amongst the schools that play football at the level (D-1) that 95% of the general public pay attention to, only FOUR are the Eagles.

And since we are talking about traditions. Only two unique symbols/logos/mascots (whatever you want to call them) have ever been produced for this University. One of them is the flying worm, and the other is my avatar.....the original (and as far as I'm concerned, the only) Scrappy. I don't understand why they've been kicked to the curb by the University.

Edited by SilverEagle

The plans aren't exclusive, nothing is finalized so there is no point in sharing useless information.

Hey, I'm all for any plans you guys have to increase attendance and educate new students to the North Texas ways. I am glad the group got together, it can only help get everyone toward the same goals.

Ok, I get real tired of hearing this. Yes, the most common mascot of ALL of the four year colleges and Universities in the US, is the Eagle (74). However, there are only FOUR Eagle mascots amongst the 100+ D-1 colleges that play D-1 football. Boston College, Eastern Michigan, Southern Miss.....and us.

I am very happy for us to continue to use Mean Green as our nickname. But amongst the schools that play football at the level (D-1) that 95% of the general public pay attention to, only FOUR are the Eagles.

And since we are talking about traditions. Only two unique symbols/logos/mascots (whatever you want to call them) have ever been produced for this University. One of them is the flying worm, and the other is my avatar.....the original (and as far as I'm concerned, the only) Scrappy. I don't understand why they've been kicked to the curb by the University.

And the "flying worm" could have been our version of UT's Longhorn graphic as well as (OK, I'll say it)............SMU's pony graphic on their helmet. Whether one likes SMU or not, most in Texas would recognize the pony on their helmet.

Actually, the UT helmet Longhorn logo has even had a few minor face-lifts thru the decades but not so extreme as to completely change its looks; you know, like when when switched from the flying worm to the parakeet flying thru the hoola-hoop that began with the Corky Nelson era (and 12 loooonnnnngggggg years of a NCAA D1-AA co-existance that many of us still feel has this program sucking wind in too many ways (as compared to those programs we'd like to be associated with and that among all the other 100 plus NCAA D1-A football schools).

Ran into an older TCU alum recently at a Fort Worh Kinkos, he saw my UNT gear, we had a nice talk about both our alma maters but one thing he said about ours stood out with me (and I paraphrase him):

"Been sorta' difficult for your school with all its many name changes to maintain tradition, hasn't it?" And I answered him: "Yes, and our athletic program (thru the decades) each time we had an AD change usually brings along brilliant new ideas for, uh..................... new unis, a new eagle logo (if we use eagles for his tenure), a new shade of green (how many more of those could possibly be left for us to switch to) :lol: and more of the same as they tell us what we all want to hear as far as how big time we are going to be under their leadership (that is, until they get their next job--whether by their choice or if UNT makes that choice for them). :rolleyes:

YET........................carry on committee, but come up with the kind of ideas (maybe go back to some old ones that should have been maintained) and all these ideas that will last thru the next 8 UNT presidents and our next "however many" AD's.

Nevertheless

THINK BIG--BUILD BIGGER!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I definitely like FFR's idea of a 7 syllable chant....but we need a school wide yell practice if it is ever going to get off the ground. It sounds like that was mentioned by the committee, and I hope they push for it to get started. The pep rallies from last year were ok...but a yell practice would be better, IMHO.

Gretchen Bataille (President) - She talked about how we've gone leaps and bounds from 5 years ago with starting tailgating and the mean green village. She encouraged more game day posters to be placed all over the place, even staked in the ground. :) How we should possibly have a website post board to inform students of our traditions and events. We need to stop printing UNT shirts that are not in the color green. Have more venues for students (events before games...etc)

I like her idea about ground/yard stakes with game day posters. And as to her statement about printing NT shirts in only green and white........... :wub:

Edited by SilverEagle

The great part about this is that people are talking in a constructive manner about the traditions, chants, fan pride in a way that has never happened before to my knowledge. The fact that people have organized this and took the time to attend (namely Dr. B and RV) is a very good sign of progress to come. If the ONLY thing that comes out of this is a more unified chant at the FB game with a beginning and an end - we have made progress folks. Baby steps. :D

While we are speaking about traditions, it would sure be great to bring back the fight song as originally written. The current version (circa 1976 forward) needs to be retired.

I personally think our fight song is the best in the nation (bias acknowledged). I get goosebumps every time I hear it. What was different about the previous fight song?

I think I've heard the tune was the same...but the arrangement was less "jazzy".

Yeah, as far as I know it's been the same all along. See the link for the history of it.

http://www.unt.edu/northtexan/archives/w01/eagletale.htm

I'd be curious to see how it sounded before if the arrangement was a little less "jazzy"

I'm sure some people out there might think it sounds like any other fight song, but comparing it to others,

it does have a little less collegiate "pop" that some others schools have. And before anyone beats me up,

please dont, I LOVE our fight song, it's on my ipod, and I listen to it

at least 15 times a week. I'm NOT slamming it, just saying there is a subtle difference.

Just stating, if you compare college fight songs to ours, UNT doesnt have as much emphasis on some parts.

For comparison, go to the following link for Texas State, hit "play Texas State Fight Song" in upper left hand

corner.

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/

I realize this is one of lesser know fight songs when you compare to say Notre Dame, or Texas, etc.

but it's an excellent example of a traditional collgiate fight song. So maybe UNT's old arrangent had more of a

"feel" to it like this.

I'd be curious to see if the music department had any old recordings of the pre-1976 arrangement.

Edited by trud1966

I heard Auburn (the tigers) had an eagle/hawk that flew around the entire stadium when something good happens at the games. Why cant we do that? They are the tigers and we are the eagles.....

It's just before the game to my knowledge. A golden eagle will circle the stadium and goto midfield where the falconeer has a treat for it. There's a long story behind the Auburn War Eagle that I'm too lazy to type out right now.

The original fight song contains an excellent counter melody in the bass line and indeed is much more interesting musically. Not to get into too many musical terms, but a half step was added in the intro in the '76 version which still grates on my nerves. Then, we have the drums droning on and on as it is played today.

To add a bit of embarrassment to the entire issue, almost the entire first two lines of our fight song are rhythmically identical to the Notre Dame fight song. Only the last two measures are different.

The original fight song contains an excellent counter melody in the bass line and indeed is much more interesting musically. Not to get into too many musical terms, but a half step was added in the intro in the '76 version which still grates on my nerves. Then, we have the drums droning on and on as it is played today.

To add a bit of embarrassment to the entire issue, almost the entire first two lines of our fight song are rhythmically identical to the Notre Dame fight song. Only the last two measures are different.

Wow...that was...musically enlightening.

I am all in favor of mandating that UNT shirts will be green and white, as long as they are either hunter (forest) green OR a true kelly green, as oppposed to the toothpaste color that's been distributed the past two years.

I agree that Kelly is more distinctive in the stands but I like Hunter as a color. Hunter is more available also. I am wondering what color toothpaste green is? I do like the NT color Pantone 356 as a color no matter what name you put on it; Kelly, Gridiron, Irish, Grass, etc. As I have stated before it is difficuly to find that color of clothing (except tee shirts) but I am always looking. If you go by the name Kelly you get a wide range of colors. I would love to open a spirit shop in Denton but I live in Lubbock so it is more difficult to do. If anyone wants to go in on a store let me know. I can do it for about 50K.

So the original fight song has different lyrics altogether?

The only change in the lyrics has been to reflect the change in our name in 1988. I believe that the original lyrics started off with "Let's give a cheer for North Texas State. This worked for decades, since we were called North Texas State Teachers college when the fight song was originally written.

The last line used to go "N.....T.....S.....U...N-T-S-U Fight Fight Fight!

I assume that prior to 1961, the chant on the last line was NTSC.

I remember the original tune being more musically challenging than the one that's played today.

I am all in favor of mandating that UNT shirts will be green and white, as long as they are either hunter (forest) green OR a true kelly green, as oppposed to the toothpaste color that's been distributed the past two years.

IBG,

I got over to Voertmans friday and apparantly now, Russell,(seems to be the favorite manufacturer of sweatshirts for both bookstores) has now been able to supply us with the correct Kelly color. The manager of the NT Bookstore told me during the '05-'06 basketball season that at the time Russell couldn't do this. Now I see they can. If I had a couple of extra hundred dollars I would have spent it right there and then as they have 3 or 4 NEW sweatshirts in this color. The only way I can explain the correct Kelly is that it reminds me of an Emerald in color. It's the most attractive of all the greens in my oppinion and when used with White and Black as accents it shows up very well.

Rick

The only change in the lyrics has been to reflect the change in our name in 1988. I believe that the original lyrics started off with "Let's give a cheer for North Texas State. This worked for decades, since we were called North Texas State Teachers college when the fight song was originally written.

The last line used to go "N.....T.....S.....U...N-T-S-U Fight Fight Fight!

I assume that prior to 1961, the chant on the last line was NTSC.

I remember the original tune being more musically challenging than the one that's played today.

I've wondered about that before after chanting the current "u.. n.. t.. eagles.."

thanks for the info

I've wondered about that before after chanting the current "u.. n.. t.. eagles.."

thanks for the info

Ya know, I'm just dreading the day someone is going to suggest

North....Texas....Mean....Green........NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN - FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!