Oct. 13 @ Southern Miss (CSTV) 6:30pm

Oct. 20 Tulane 2pm

Oct. 27 @ Tulsa 2pm

Nov. 4 @ Houston (ESPN) 7pm

Nov. 10 Rice 2pm

Nov. 17 Central Florida 2pm

Nov. 24 @ Memphis 2pm

Dec. 1 CUSA Title Game (ESPN) TBD

..................................................................................

SMU junior working harder

After tough '06 season, Martin hits weights, shines in spring game

11:22 PM CDT on Saturday, March 31, 2007

By KATE HAIROPOULOS / The Dallas Morning News

UNIVERSITY PARK – Junior DeMyron Martin hammed it up during an on-the-field interview aired on the Ford Stadium video screen Saturday during SMU's annual Red-Blue spring football game.

He's having fun again – something that didn't happen enough last season.

Martin said he has rededicated himself to football and the weight room after a frustrating string of injuries hampered his sophomore season. The Allen product ran for 369 yards and no rushing touchdowns, disappointing totals after rushing for 854 yards and seven touchdowns as a freshman.

"I think it was the cockiness of my freshman year," Martin said. "I came off last off-season thinking I wouldn't have to do too much because of my previous success.

"I'm more humble now, and I'm going to work out every day this summer, guarantee."

Martin looked strong in limited action Saturday, rushing for 35 yards and a touchdown on seven carries. The SMU offense put up 38 points in the scrimmage.

Martin's competition is sophomore James Mapps, who rushed for 69 yards on six carries.

Coach Phil Bennett said he wants a feature back to emerge, with senior Cedrick Dorsey (32 yards, seven carries) also in the mix.

Quarterback update: Bennett praised backup quarterback Corey Slater's development this spring. Slater was 7-of-18 for 77 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions Saturday. Bennett said he will find playing time for Slater, perhaps in situations when starter Justin Willis needs to be shown something on the sideline.

Willis was 15-of-33 for 158 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the scrimmage.

Briefly: Sophomore Zach Zimmerman had a breakout day, with two catches for 85 yards and two touchdowns. ... Defensive end Adrian Dizer and linebacker Anthony Sowe each had two sacks. ... Receiver Columbus Givens, who missed most of spring practice after becoming infected with the bacteria that causes meningitis, will withdraw from school this semester. If he passes six hours of summer school, he will be eligible in the fall. ... CSTV picked up SMU games vs. UTEP on Sept. 29 and at Southern Miss on Oct. 13.

Edited by NT80

It is very important that we have more fans at our game at Ford than UTEP does. There is no excuse for us not to period, especially as early as this game falls in our season.

I know our group is planning to make this one! It should be easy to rally the troops with a new Dodge in town, it will be most Mean Green fans first opportunity to see some Dodge ball.

Is there any ticket information yet?

It is very important that we have more fans at our game at Ford than UTEP does. There is no excuse for us not to period, especially as early as this game falls in our season.

You locals have fun. I'm excited about the Arkansas game. Finally a game that involves a 30 minute trip instead of 6-1/2 hours.

Our game with SMUt should outdraw all their other home games except maybe the opener with Tech.

And wear GREEN. SMU fans could also wear white. All NT fans need to be in GREEN. Plenty of time to shop. No excuses.

What shade?

Hunter (Dark)

Kelly (light)

Apple (Bright or neon)