A Few Meager Questions

MeanGreen61

A statement by Meager in the DRC article about Friday's scrimmage.

"A lot of us were in similar offenses in high school. It's not that big a change for some of us, and our coaches have done a good job of teaching it to us and simplifying it."

Meager came out of high school as a fairly well rated QB & was probably headed to a Big XII school before his leg injury. Apparently a number of folks though he had the tools to succeed.

He certainly didn't succeed in UNT's run first, run second offense, was injury prone and non-productive. Kinda like a 'deer in headlights' much of the time.

QUESTIONS:

1. Can/will Meager become the type of quarterback people thought he was coming out of high school running an offense he's more comforable & familiar with ?

2. Is TD giving Meager the confidence that he seems to have lacked the past two season ?

3. Will the quick releases called for in TD's offense help protect Meager from the concussions & other injuries he's experienced?

Edited by MeanGreen61

It's so secret that I've been a Meager fan from the very beginning. I remember how he looked during his redshirt year, just so confident, so poised, and with such a pretty deep ball.

In my own opinion, I think his confidence got broken sometime between the fall of his first year and the fall of the second. I think maybe his coaches expected him to do the QB job with little to no teaching. As I mentioned before, there always was a lot of yelling and ridiculing at practice, but not really any instruction. I think Meager has the tools, but, like any QB, you have to teach him. I mean, look at what the knocks on him have been. Slow to get the plays in, looking confused in the pocket and under center, getting smacked around from the pressure. Doesn't all that start to make sense if you assume that he was never taught an offense, just handed a playbook?

To be honest, I'm really not that surprised he took the lead. He's always had talent. With instruction, I think he will suprise a lot of people this year.

Do you think The Godfather will Redshirt then?

I hope he can redshirt. That way, if Meager were able to perform well for two years, that would allow Vizza a redshirt year, and then a year as the #2 to get his feet wet.

We would still have Vizza as a 3-year starter. We would just not have to throw him into the fire

I hope he can redshirt. That way, if Meager were able to perform well for two years, that would allow Vizza a redshirt year, and then a year as the #2 to get his feet wet.

We would still have Vizza as a 3-year starter. We would just not have to throw him into the fire

EXACTLY! Have the opportunity for the Don to learn a little bit. As I understand it, that's how the big boys do it. You spend a few years learning first before you get the reins handed over to you.

I hope Meager does well, but if it's down to he and Woody, I hope one of them gets switched to WR. Phillips and probably Tune are nothing but quarterbacks, and we're looking at a roster full of QB's when we could probably use another upperclassman to contribute at WR. I guess Woody could also be considered at DB, but we seem to have a boatload of talented guys on the roster in that area.

It's so secret that I've been a Meager fan from the very beginning. I remember how he looked during his redshirt year, just so confident, so poised, and with such a pretty deep ball.

In my own opinion, I think his confidence got broken sometime between the fall of his first year and the fall of the second. I think maybe his coaches expected him to do the QB job with little to no teaching. As I mentioned before, there always was a lot of yelling and ridiculing at practice, but not really any instruction. I think Meager has the tools, but, like any QB, you have to teach him. I mean, look at what the knocks on him have been. Slow to get the plays in, looking confused in the pocket and under center, getting smacked around from the pressure. Doesn't all that start to make sense if you assume that he was never taught an offense, just handed a playbook?

To be honest, I'm really not that surprised he took the lead. He's always had talent. With instruction, I think he will suprise a lot of people this year.

I agree with this. Dickey liked Meager's potential but I don't think DD was very good at teaching QBs. Scott Hall taught Dickey a few things, like what a passing game could do to open his running game. DD's offense wasn't the same after Hall. Dodge is a teacher, and QBs are his specialty. I believe Meager's school JJ Pearce ran an open offense with a lot of passing his years there. Not sure if it was mosty shotgun formations or not.

I agree with this. Dickey liked Meager's potential but I don't think DD was very good at teaching QBs. Scott Hall taught Dickey a few things, like what a passing game could do to open his running game. DD's offense wasn't the same after Hall. Dodge is a teacher, and QBs are his specialty. I believe Meager's school JJ Pearce ran an open offense with a lot of passing his years there. Not sure if it was mosty shotgun formations or not.

I think you are exactly right on that. I believe we will see many player who in the past either struggled or never really came to their potential, come out of their shells and perform well this year. Don't be shocked if you see at the end of the season, people praising "DD" for "recruting" this talent. I believe this coaching staff are both very good teachers of the game AND very, very good at doing the things necessary to get players to perform at their best, and we will see that this season.