Scrimmage Notes

EastTexasMG

-About 20 fans at the start of scrimmage, maybe 50 by the time I left.

-There was a group of Nathan Tune supporters in orange.

-J MO was the 1st person out to warm up

-69 degrees, lots of wind

-Players not in pads: #76, #69,#96,#92

1st Series

Meager 0 for 3

2nd Series

JMO runs right -1yd

Meager to Jackson 25yds

Meager incomplete

Meager to #3 7yds

Meager to ???? 2 yds

3rd Series

False Start

Meager to #10 35 yds

Meager to #10 5 yds

J Mo -2yds

Meager Incomplete

4t Series

Ball snapped over Meager's head (#68 at Center)

Meager 70 yds to #10 for the TD

PAT good

(Riley Dodge and Padron show up)

5th Series

Meager sack (J Chapman)

Phillips takes over on 2nd down

Philips 40 yds to Fentriss (Fentriss made an awesome diving catch)

Phillips to Stickler 12 yds

Phillips to Stickler 18 yds for the TD

PAT good

6th Series

Phillips runs up the middle, 2 yds

Phillips 5yd pass complete, but takes a big hit from #47

Phillips out, Woody in

Woody to Fentriss 15yds

#11 runs for 18 yds

Woody runs for 30 yds (only gains 2 yds though)

Cam Montgomery runs for 6 yds

Woody out, Tune in

Tune incomplete to Fentriss in the endzone

Tune to Fentriss for the TD

PAT good

7th Series

Tune to #26, no gain

Tune to Stickler 13 yds

Tune incomplete to Fentriss

Tune screen to #26, #26 runs for 35 yd gain

#26 up the middle for the TD

PAT good

8th Series

Here comes the rain

Woody incomplete

Woody runs right for 3 yds

Woody to Gill 8 yds

Woody runs for no gain

Phillips in

Phillips incomplete pass

9thSeries

Phillips pass batted down

Phillips INT #34 could have been a TD but the whistle blew

10th Series

Phillips to #14 for 55 yds

Phillips runs, no gain

#21 runs for 5yds

#30 fumbles, Gill recovers

Phillips incomplete to Nelson

#30 runs for no gain

Phillips incomplete

11th Series

Meager comes back

more of the same

I quit taking notes

Edited by EastTexasMG

I was at the scrimmage and was impressed by how well the offense seams to be grasping the new spread / no huddle offense.. I was impressed by Fintress, and I liked the way Cox and #26 ran the ball.. btw did anyone see the block #82 laid on a un suspecting d.b. on the long screen play that #26 took to the 1 yard line?? wow

1.Who is #26 ? Cam Montgomery ?

2. Most impressive/consistant QB ?

3. How did J-Mo do with the new offense?

1. I'm not sure, he had a logo on his helmet, so there is a chance he might have been here last year and just changed numbers (could be wrong, maybe his head just grew)

2. I liked the way Meager looked, besides his first two series, he really seemed the most confident in hitting the short routes, and showed he could hit the long bomb when the oppurtunity came up.. Phillips looked pretty good too despite the INT he threw.. Tune made some good passes, but looked alittle slow to drop back and seemed to want to go deep too much.. Wilson did alright, he had a couple of overthrows, but besides those he looked good, I liked the way he was always the first guy to greet the qb when the offense came off the field, that shows a good team mentality despite the competition.. over all I would rate the QBs 1. Meager 2. Phillips 3. Wilson 4. Tune , but really I don't think anyone really has stood out as the clear leader in who will be starting this fall

3. J-Mo didn't get many touches, and when he did he was often swarmed by the d-line before he had a chance to make a move.. the scrimmage was prolly 90% passing though too

Edited by Keith7

#26 was not Cam, Cam is #25, I think.

#26 was a smaller back.

J MO didn't even have a chance today back he didn't get very good blocking.

As for the QBs, I think that Meager looked the best today. He had some incompletions that weren't his fault, plus it was super windy.

Based on today's scrimmage and the practice that I went to, I think that Meager is our guy.

I've only been a UNT fan for the last 10 or so years. Can some explain to me what a "forward pass" is? I am just not real familiar with this. It sounds very, very exciting. Is it related to a QB draw o 3rd and 25?

Don't be scared. I hear this pass thing may catch on...

I've only been a UNT fan for the last 10 or so years. Can some explain to me what a "forward pass" is? I am just not real familiar with this. It sounds very, very exciting. Is it related to a QB draw o 3rd and 25?

"The forward pass" is a book by TD that will be out very soon at a special price of $9.95 for MGC members. :D

#26 was not Cam, Cam is #25, I think.

#26 was a smaller back.

J MO didn't even have a chance today back he didn't get very good blocking.

As for the QBs, I think that Meager looked the best today. He had some incompletions that weren't his fault, plus it was super windy.

Based on today's scrimmage and the practice that I went to, I think that Meager is our guy.

#26 is Cam Montgomery. #25 is Truman Spencer, the punter. Adding to more running back-related jersey confusion, kicker Steven Woodward is #23. Besides #20 J-Mo and #29 Roy Loren, the rest of the players with numbers in the 20s are walk-ons of little consequence.

Both the offense and defense had very impressive moments. A few things to remember when watching these coaches scrimmage. Nobody knows how to defend Dodge better than his own defensive coordinator. These guys know each other well and Ron cuts TD no slack in trying to frustrate his offense. I had as much fun watching those two cuys play chess. A Dodge offense will typically finds it easier to execute in a game than in practice against a coach who knows almost every tendency and trick in TD's book. The defense also gets better week by week in learning to recognize plays, etc. With that considered, the coaches and players alike are doing an excellent job integrating the forward pass. Really, everyone should be encouraged.

This is obviously an offense that is totally dependent upon timing and execution to move the chains. Several balls are still just a little off target and some are being dropped, neither of which is acceptable to TD. This will improve. There were some awsome catches today by several players. It's a game of patience and improvement week in and week out. Timing and execution will improve drastically over the remainder of spring, and particularly over the summer with 7 on 7 practice, etc. I don't think you will recognize any of the Qbs by fall after TD trains them and they get their timing down. IMO the QB race is far from over and is anyone's to take. Execution is not optional by Septemer and someone will step it up.

This team is progressing well all things considered. Some of the existing talent at WR are looking great. I don't think we will be as dependent upon the incoming class as people thought. They may round off some edges but we have some young men who can run good routs and flat out catch the ball.

Emotion can improve some but overall good scrimmage.

Edited by Cool

#26 is Cam Montgomery. #25 is Truman Spencer, the punter. Adding to more running back-related jersey confusion, kicker Steven Woodward is #23. Besides #20 J-Mo and #29 Roy Loren, the rest of the players with numbers in the 20s are walk-ons of little consequence.

I was very impressed by #26 today; while he is taller than most RBs we've had recently, he is shifty too, made several good runs. Jmo seemed slower today for some reason, not much positive yardage. Phillips and Wilson both had balls intercepted, but both also led long drives too. Wilson ran the most of the QBs (duh). Kicker Woodward showed a stronger leg than this time last year and hit probably 10 of 12 PATs or FGs. I thought Tune threw the ball very well. He led at least two long TD drives and no ints. All QBs moved the ball and all had some things they could have done better. The most exciting thing was that although most of this offense is still new to this team and the defense basically knows all the plays, the offense still scored on at least 60% of the drives. Last year in scrimmages I bet we only scored on maybe 20% of the drives. And they will only get better with more reps. :)

Edited by NT80

Guest GrayEagleOne

Does that mean that Roderick Cotton (@24) and Robbie Gordon (@27) are gone?

Sorry, forgot about Cotton, missed him. Not that familiar with Gordon, though.

The DRC article mentions Gordon. I think that there must have been at least a few number changes. #99 was a big DT and I thought that it was Issac Thomas the whole time, but Issac is listed as #91 on last year's roster. If #99 is Sam Owusu then great, that kid will be a force in years to come.

Edited by EastTexasMG

Guest GrayEagleOne

The DRC article mentions Gordon. I think that there must have been at least a few number changes. #99 was a big DT and I thought that it was Issac Thomas the whole time, but Issac is listed as #91 on last year's roster. If #99 is Sam Owusu then great, that kid will be a force in years to come.

I saw the mention of Gordon after I posted. At least we know that he's still there. There must've been some number changes but we may not know how many until the spring game.

Not sure who #99 is but I'm pretty sure that it's not Owusu-Hemeng. He's only 6-1, 230. He wore #52 last year. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't moved to linebacker unless he adds some pounds.