Fw*telegram Nt Fb Notes...te's Find Work, Practice Field

OldTimer

Posted on Thu, Mar. 29, 2007reprint or license print email NORTH TEXAS FOOTBALL NOTES

Former tight ends find work at UNT

By TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENTONFour sessions and one 11-day break into spring practice, North Texas has plenty of receivers for its new spread offense.

How many of them actually see the field in September is a mystery.

The six high school wide receivers UNT signed are still in high school.

UNT's 11 remaining spring practices/scrimmages will feature only three true receivers currently on scholarship, as well as several converted tight ends with uncertain futures.

"They're on our team and they're making contributions," UNT coach Todd Dodge said of the tight ends. "The great thing about our personnel is when I was at Carroll, I wasn't able to have a tight end-attached set in a specialty situation. Here, we can explore some different formations."

Scholarship receivers Brandon Jackson and Brock Stickler are in UNT's rotation. Cornerback Korey Washington has moved to receiver.

Three of last year's scholarship tight ends are now at wide receiver. Despite their obvious size in a tight end-free offense, UNT has Ryan Davenport (6-foot-2, 228 pounds), Victor Gill (6-5, 235) and Charlie Brown (6-4, 239) in on several plays.

Brown caught a 55-yard touchdown pass Wednesday.

"As we go through the process, they'll fit into other types of sets," Dodge said.

Other moves

Tight ends Draylen Ross and Bryant Seidle have moved to defense, Seidle at linebacker and Ross at end. Ross, from Fort Worth Diamond Hill-Jarvis, played defense in high school.

Brian Carlson, another former tight end, moved to the offensive line.

Field still nameless

This week UNT removed a tarp covering the large brick sign in front of its football practice facility, which is yet to be officially named.

UNT donor Jim McIngvale, who gave $1 million toward the construction of the Mean Green Athletic Center, was the field's original namesake but removed himself from consideration after Darrell Dickey was fired as coach last fall.

The UNT Board of Regents then approved McIngvale's request that the facility be named after Dickey. A few months later, Dickey and McIngvale both requested that the fields be named after Andrew Smith, a quarterback who died in a car accident before the 2004 season.

The sign reads "Football Practice Facility." The regents could address the matter when they meet in May.

Briefly

UNT has just two kickers, Steven Woodward and Truman Spencer, on its spring roster, and Spencer is UNT's punter.

Brandon Jackson, Casey Fitzgerald and Arthur Stubblefield are all working as kickoff or punt returners. UNT's top three at both last year were seniors.

Junior cornerback Latif Nurudeen, who played in seven games at Baylor last season, has walked on at UNT.

Troy Phillips, 817-390-7760 tphillips@star-telegram.com

Posted on Thu, Mar. 29, 2007reprint or license print email NORTH TEXAS FOOTBALL NOTES

Former tight ends find work at UNT

By TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENTONFour sessions and one 11-day break into spring practice, North Texas has plenty of receivers for its new spread offense.

How many of them actually see the field in September is a mystery.

The six high school wide receivers UNT signed are still in high school.

UNT's 11 remaining spring practices/scrimmages will feature only three true receivers currently on scholarship, as well as several converted tight ends with uncertain futures.

"They're on our team and they're making contributions," UNT coach Todd Dodge said of the tight ends. "The great thing about our personnel is when I was at Carroll, I wasn't able to have a tight end-attached set in a specialty situation. Here, we can explore some different formations."

Scholarship receivers Brandon Jackson and Brock Stickler are in UNT's rotation. Cornerback Korey Washington has moved to receiver.

Three of last year's scholarship tight ends are now at wide receiver. Despite their obvious size in a tight end-free offense, UNT has Ryan Davenport (6-foot-2, 228 pounds), Victor Gill (6-5, 235) and Charlie Brown (6-4, 239) in on several plays.

Brown caught a 55-yard touchdown pass Wednesday.

"As we go through the process, they'll fit into other types of sets," Dodge said.

Other moves

Tight ends Draylen Ross and Bryant Seidle have moved to defense, Seidle at linebacker and Ross at end. Ross, from Fort Worth Diamond Hill-Jarvis, played defense in high school.

Brian Carlson, another former tight end, moved to the offensive line.

Field still nameless

This week UNT removed a tarp covering the large brick sign in front of its football practice facility, which is yet to be officially named.

UNT donor Jim McIngvale, who gave $1 million toward the construction of the Mean Green Athletic Center, was the field's original namesake but removed himself from consideration after Darrell Dickey was fired as coach last fall.

The UNT Board of Regents then approved McIngvale's request that the facility be named after Dickey. A few months later, Dickey and McIngvale both requested that the fields be named after Andrew Smith, a quarterback who died in a car accident before the 2004 season.

The sign reads "Football Practice Facility." The regents could address the matter when they meet in May.

Briefly

UNT has just two kickers, Steven Woodward and Truman Spencer, on its spring roster, and Spencer is UNT's punter.

Brandon Jackson, Casey Fitzgerald and Arthur Stubblefield are all working as kickoff or punt returners. UNT's top three at both last year were seniors.

Junior cornerback Latif Nurudeen, who played in seven games at Baylor last season, has walked on at UNT.

Troy Phillips, 817-390-7760 tphillips@star-telegram.com

A very factual article with current news and quotes. Now that's the way to write 'em!

No

Just e-mailed the reporter (Phillips), and he said the Baylor guy can play now because he didn't receive any scholarship or other financial aid last year. He said it entitles the kid to a one-time transfer that's free and clear. He also said Fitzgerald, Stubblefield and Isaiah Smith (not Washington) are all walk-ons, but they're getting as many plays as the the scholly guys. He said he didn't have room to mention everyone, and Stubblefield looked good on returns Wednesday.

Sounds like there's a walk-on receiver under every rock out there, 'cuz he also said 16 different guys caught passes on Wednesday, including J-Mo.

Just e-mailed the reporter (Phillips), and he said the Baylor guy can play now because he didn't receive any scholarship or other financial aid last year. He said it entitles the kid to a one-time transfer that's free and clear. He also said Fitzgerald, Stubblefield and Isaiah Smith (not Washington) are all walk-ons, but they're getting as many plays as the the scholly guys. He said he didn't have room to mention everyone, and Stubblefield looked good on returns Wednesday.

Sounds like there's a walk-on receiver under every rock out there, 'cuz he also said 16 different guys caught passes on Wednesday, including J-Mo.

Good stuff. Thanks !

sounds like the Baylor transfer was at UNT all of this year then or at least 2nd semester with his own money paying the way, hmmm interesting for a walk-on with Big 12 experience

Guest GrayEagleOne

Now that is the type of reporting that we like to see. Thank you Troy Phillips.

One small correction. Evan Robertson, our #2 kickoff returner and #2 in punt return yardage, was not a senior. However, whether he will be able to return in the fall is still a question mark.

Another receiver that wasn't mentioned was Brian Nelson, who was switched from defensive back. I don't know how good he is but I believe that his dad was an NFL receiver with the Vikings. Maybe the blood lines and a little one on one coaching will improve his chances.

I'm glad to see that Special K was returned to offense. I think that he is much better suited to that side of the ball.

Did they remove Stubblefield's scholarship? I know they are year to year but that would be pretty shocking if they removed his ship and he is now a walk-on.

Did they remove Stubblefield's scholarship? I know they are year to year but that would be pretty shocking if they removed his ship and he is now a walk-on.

that is strange unless there is a grade or discipline issue, thought Dodge was going to be more strict on classroom and outside discipline.

that is strange unless there is a grade or discipline issue, thought Dodge was going to be more strict on classroom and outside discipline.

Lets stop the bull shit about a player and the reasons that he may not be on a ship. He was never on a ship and was a walk-on. I know that this board things that DD had no walk-ons but several walkons played last year. Plus the ships run a full year and are signed in May.

Lets stop the bull shit about a player and the reasons that he may not be on a ship. He was never on a ship and was a walk-on. I know that this board things that DD had no walk-ons but several walkons played last year. Plus the ships run a full year and are signed in May.

He was part of the 2005 recruiting class and was on scholarship and redshirted in 2005. He was a redshirt freshman last season. I never heard of him losing his scholarship. I don't think players sign a letter of intent to walk on.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.a...mp;pr_key=32847

Didn't mean to stir up any consternation. Again, what Phillips said is only three (true) receivers out there are on scholly: Jackson, Stickler and Washington. Three more who are really tight ends, Brown, Gill and Davenport, also have 'ships. Don't know Stubblefield's previous status, but whatever it was, he's a walk-on now. Everyone else has moved to other positions.

Might I suggest a little more fiber in the diet?