Unt Starts Spring Practice Today

MeanGreen61

UNT starts Spring practice today

Dodge, Mean Green begin working on field today

11:08 PM CDT on Monday, March 12, 2007

Brett Vito/Staff Writer

Ever since Todd Dodge arrived at North Texas in December, Brandon Jackson has spent a lot of time talking about his new head coach — frequently with people he doesn't even know.

"When I go to the mall and have my North Texas stuff on, people will stop me to ask about coach Dodge," the senior wide receiver said. "That's how I know that people are excited about coach Dodge and the season."

The experience has been a common one for UNT players and the new coaching staff, which will take the next step in the transition to a new era in the history of the program today with the beginning of spring practice.

UNT will have its first official workout under Dodge at 6:30 p.m. at Fouts Field. The Mean Green will practice again on Wednesday and Friday before taking a week off for spring break.

UNT's workouts will resume on March 28 and culminate with the spring game at 3 p.m. on April 22 at Fouts Field.

UNT's spring session will be the most anticipated in the recent history of Mean Green football thanks to the arrival of Dodge, who left arguably the most successful high school program in the country at Southlake Carroll to try to revive a UNT team that went 5-18 over the last two years.

Dodge has been on the banquet circuit drumming up support for UNT and preparing to install new offensive and defensive philosophies since a few days after he led Carroll to the last of four Class 5A state titles last season.

"I definitely sense a feeling of excitement around the program and the most important people that is true of is the players," Dodge said. "They have a little sparkle in their eyes right now. Everyone on this team has a new beginning."

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal attributes the buzz around the program to Dodge's efforts to connect with the Mean Green's fan base.

"There is a very positive feeling with our coach out speaking all the time about what he feels can be done here," Villarreal said. "The players are echoing that feeling. When they are out in the public saying those things it has a natural way of creating excitement."

Part of that excitement is due in large part to the offense Dodge will install this spring.

UNT used a ground-based attack that produced a pair of national rushing champions under former head coach Darrell Dickey but is now turning to a spread offense that features the passing game under Dodge. UNT will also return to the 4-3 defense after playing in a 3-4 last season.

"I am really excited about the offense and throwing the ball around," Jackson said. "We have been learning a lot. We can't wait to get out there and see how it will come together."

UNT will take on that task in what the Mean Green's players expect to be a totally different atmosphere.

"Everything is a lot more enthusiastic and positive," senior defensive end Jeremiah Chapman said. "It's been inspiring to be with coach Dodge and his staff. It's nice to have a proven winner here."

UNT's fans are just as anxious as the players to see if Dodge's winning ways will translate from Carroll to UNT.

"I have been around North Texas football since 1985 and I have never seen more excitement about the program," UNT booster and fan Curtis Clinesmith said. "To get coach Dodge to North Texas shows things are going the right way. It shows a commitment to the program."

Briefly

UNT offensive linemen Josh Alexander and Jack Crumes and defensive lineman Kenneth Okonkwo will all miss spring practice with injuries.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

UNT's three key questions

The following are three key questions UNT must answer during spring football practice that will begin today.

Who's Dodge's quarterback?

One of the more intriguing position battles of spring practice will be at quarterback. The Mean Green has three players who have started at some point in their careers in Woody Wilson, Matt Phillips and Daniel Meager. All three will start on the same level as redshirt freshman Nathan Tune in a position battle Dodge has declared open.

"I have not seen a ball come out of a quarterback's hand yet," Dodge said. "Being a quarterbacks coach, I am very interested in that."

How will UNT's defense shape up?

UNT will return to a 4-3 alignment this season after playing in the 3-4 last year. UNT didn't have an abundance of depth along its defensive line last year and will be looking for players to step forward this season.

How well will UNT protect the quarterback?

UNT lost a pair of senior starters in tackle Joel Foster and guard Dylan Lineberry, one of the Mean Green's best overall players, after last season. UNT will do a lot more pass blocking with several new linemen. How UNT adapts will be critical to the Mean Green's success.

UNT practice schedule

UNT's practices are open to the public. The following is a schedule:

March

13 — 6:30 p.m. practice, Fouts Field

14 — 4:30 p.m. practice, Mean Green Athletic Center

16 — 3:30 p.m. practice, Mean Green Athletic Center

28 — 4:30 p.m. practice, Mean Green Athletic Center

30 — 3:30 p.m., scrimmage, Fouts Field

April

2 — 6:30 p.m. practice, Fouts Field

4 — 4:30 p.m. practice, Mean Green Athletic Center

5 — 6:30 p.m. practice, Fouts Field

9 — 4:30 p.m. practice, Mean Green Athletic Center

11 — 4:30 p.m. practice, Mean Green Athletic Center

13 — 3:30 p.m. scrimmage, Fouts Field

16 — 4:30 p.m. practice, Mean Green Athletic Center

18 — 4:30 p.m. practice, Mean Green Athletic Center

20 — 3:30 p.m. practice, Fouts Field

22 — 3 p.m. Spring Game, Fouts Field

Dodge has been on the banquet circuit drumming up support for UNT

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal attributes the buzz around the program to Dodge's efforts to connect with the Mean Green's fan base.

"There is a very positive feeling with our coach out speaking all the time about what he feels can be done here," Villarreal said.

UNT will take on that task in what the Mean Green's players expect to be a totally different atmosphere.

"Everything is a lot more enthusiastic and positive," senior defensive end Jeremiah Chapman said. "It's been inspiring to be with coach Dodge and his staff.

What a difference a season and new coach makes! :)

Edited by NT80

"Everything is a lot more enthusiastic and positive," senior defensive end Jeremiah Chapman said. "It's been inspiring to be with coach Dodge and his staff. It's nice to have a proven winner here."

:)

And this young man was one of the better players for the defense in the last three years. Imagine how he'll do now that he's inspired. ;)

Mean Green with an ATTITUDE. :D I'm wondering if the 'Spring Break' will have most of our players doing voluntary workouts & studying the new system instead of playing beach ball. Me thinks this team can be a pleasant surprise for us and an unpleasant surprise for opponents this season! :rolleyes:

Edited by MeanGreen61

"When I go to the mall and have my North Texas stuff on, people will stop me to ask about coach Dodge," the senior wide receiver said. "That's how I know that people are excited about coach Dodge and the season."

Is it just me or does everyone notice more UNT stuff around?

Its like suddenly I see more UNT stickers on cars, more hats and shirts around, and more about UNT in the media (thanks to basketball too!).

What I've liked is when people see my battleflag sticker on my truck and either 1)ask about it with an interest in North Texas once I tell them, or 2) speak entusiastically about North Texas.

This is a great and exciting time.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Denton is under a heavy thunderstorm alert. They have received 1-2 inches of rain and another inch is expected. I don't know if this will affect practice yet, but it could.