Jj Apology Thread

NT03

Even this season there was more talk about our 3-9 losing fb season than a mens bball team that were consistently winning and were expected to do some good things this year. I think JJ and his team made a statement not only to the conference and the nation but even our own Mean Green fans that they are a good team and they are for real. I'm gonna say again we need to support basketball as much as possible because I can honestly say we have a legitimate chance of consistently making some noise and going to the tourney every year....and if we can do that then our chances of moving to a more superior conference greatly rises.

Bingo with everything. We averaged just over 2K fans for a 23 win, conference champion. If we are anywhere near as good next year that should be doubled...at least.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bow down in humble servitude to the Great Johnny Jones and his awesome coaching ability for taking the most athletic team in North Texas history to the NCAA Tournament, a spot where a good coach will keep them. Here's to the coach who broke the 19-year streak and starts another longer streak of making the tournament.

Go Johnny Jones

Go Mean Green &

Go North Texas

Please, please do not use this argument. Don't rail on me - I am giving JJ his due for what he did - but to say that he "doesn't have much to work with?" He only has the most talented team in the Belt.

I'm not saying you dont give him credit...I am just talking the program and team he inherited who had won like 20 games total in the previous 4 seasons and the fact that football is really the only sport that ever gets any pub within the media and within the Mean Green nation (even if they stink). I've said that we have a great arena and I believe is easier building a basketball program than a football program. Thats what I mean that he didnt have MUCH to work with in comparison to other programs from other schools and within UNT athletics. I think just about everybody is giving JJ credit now but I have always been a JJ supporter and I think last night he made a statement that they are for real.

Edited by Green Mean

We'll never see eye to eye, and I'm OK with that. Sorry, but Jonnie is part of the team, and posters were calling for his head since the middle of season. I can always count on you for post such as this. All of JJ's "blunders" put us at 23-10 and a NCAA tourny birth (zero progress??). BTW, we've been hot since the middle of the season after the Arkansas road loses. You just failed to see it.

its ok he doesn't have the ability to admit he was wrong, thats something that comes with maturity.. maybe someday

We'll never see eye to eye, and I'm OK with that. Sorry, but Jonnie is part of the team, and posters were calling for his head since the middle of season. I can always count on you for post such as this. All of JJ's "blunders" put us at 23-10 and a NCAA tourny birth (zero progress??). BTW, we've been hot since the middle of the season after the Arkansas road loses. You just failed to see it.

Don't put words in my mouth and make it look like I said that making it to the tournament is zero progress. I was explaining why many fans who have been around for longer than a year were not optimistic about the way the program was headed. Up until this team made it to the conference championship game, there had been zero progress. Go back and actually read what I wrote.

BTW, your comments just solidify your own self description as a new follower of college basketball. If you knew anything about basketball, you would realize how close this team was to being a 4 or 5 loss team. If you were blind to the numerous coaching blunders this season, then please head to your local library and check out some basketball books and read up. There were a few I remember my brother and I reading when we were little that would be pretty good for you, I'll ask him if he remembers the titles. Then watch all the basketball you can this week and when the tournament starts. Watch the good coaches and how their teams effectively execute offenses, play with leads, handle late game situations, etc.... Take notes. Please, for your own sake and for the sake of everyone who might read one of your posts here.

It's simple - the team's success makes anyone who was pessimistic a bad fan. That's why when the Red Sox won most of their negative fans just refused to acknowledge it.

You've got to man up and ask yourself: how can I be more like the real fans in this thread?

You've got to man up and ask yourself: how can I be more like the real fans in this thread?

JJ has proven himself to be a very classy guy who can recruit. He has NOT proven himself to be a constant winning coach. My opinion is that had he not had a good showing in the Sunbelt tournament then he should have been fired. He has bought himself one more year. I do think that a Basketball program "build" is about 3 years. He is a little late.

On the other hand we did not hire a proven head coach when we hired JJ. We hired a coach who appeared to be impressive and have the skills required but had not yet come into his own. Hopefully this was his year. Hopefully we will see post season play from hear on out. I'm not saying the if he doesnt make the sweet 16 next year he should be gone. But we should see continued improvement. It is hard to win a Championship every year. And if we dont we should make the NIT and win a game or two (at a minimum).

We are losing some big cogs in our wheel this year(like say...KD and Watson). It really depends on who JJ brings in to see how we stack up next season. I hate going the JUCO route, but we very well may need to.

As I quickly look at the roster and see who is scoring and playing I feel pretty good about next year. And I am not willing to allow JJ off the hook for one season. In my book, he bought himself another year.

As I quickly look at the roster and see who is scoring and playing I feel pretty good about next year. And I am not willing to allow JJ off the hook for one season. In my book, he bought himself another year.

I guess I'm willing to cut him more slack. I mean if we go 7-21 like we did in '02-'03 I won't be happy, but I am not gonna go into next season pitchfork in hand either. I wanna see our schedule before I come up with any TRUE expectations, but if we're competitive in conference play(as in vying for the West) I'll be satisfied even if maybe we don't win it.

Afterall we didn't this year.

---Give it up... He just won 23 games, the conference championship in large conference with 13 teams in it... and we are playing in the NCAA March-Madness Tournament. Even if we get stomped the first game, it was a good year..... Give it up... This is best we have done in years.....

---No one is perfect, and no one completely agrees with anyone...ever... we are individuals. Sometime good decisions have bad results and sometimes bad decisions actually work..... Enjoy it..!!... this is fun...!!.. and move on !!!!

---My only complaint is about those who could have come to some games and chose not to...... we need to have pride about where we are from, if we expect others to respect us.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I guess I'm willing to cut him more slack. I mean if we go 7-21 like we did in '02-'03 I won't be happy, but I am not gonna go into next season pitchfork in hand either. I wanna see our schedule before I come up with any TRUE expectations, but if we're competitive in conference play(as in vying for the West) I'll be satisfied even if maybe we don't win it.

Afterall we didn't this year.

Not me. the man is barely over .500 against a weak schedule. This is 1 year of winning. He must keep it up or we have 2 choices. 1. go another direction so that we can try to get better and constantly be in post season play. or 2. Accept where we are a middle of the pack team in a middle of the pack conference.

Hopefully we do not have to choose and JJ will continue to win. But I would hope that choice # 2 is not really an option.

---Give it up... He just won 23 games, the conference championship in large conference with 14 teams in it... and we are playing in the NCAA March-Madness Tournament. Even if we get stomped the first game, it was a good year..... Give it up... This is best we have done in years.....

---No one is perfect, and no one completely agrees with anyone...ever... we are individuals. Sometime good decisions have bad results and sometimes bad decisions actually work..... Enjoy it... this fun..... and move on !!!!

---My only complaint is about those who could have come to some games and chose not to...... we need to have pride about where we are from, if we expect others to respect us.

Give what up?

oh and stop screaming... :)

Especially agree with this! We definitely need more fans at the games. I know I'm one to talk, but it's kinda hard to living outta state. ;)

I believe we averaged right around 2K a game this year. My hope is we can make that 3500 or more - even if next year isn't a 23 win campaign. It's alot less likely to get an NIT bid(we can't win the tourney every year) if you can't draw, because they rely heavily on attendance with their income really low from TV.

Especially agree with this! We definitely need more fans at the games. I know I'm one to talk, but it's kinda hard to living outta state. ;)

I believe we averaged right around 2K a game this year. My hope is we can make that 3500 or more - even if next year isn't a 23 win campaign. It's alot less likely to get an NIT bid(we can't win the tourney every year) if you can't draw, because they rely heavily on attendance with their income really low from TV.

Hey we agree on something. I really am soo happy for the team and fans for the win. One thing that we do not give JJ enough credit for is providing an entertaining game. We run the ball really well and everyone loves a high scoring game. So it does surprise me that we do not get more fans at the game.

Edited by AnotherEagleFan

--Tom Landry went 25-53-4 during his first six years and had NO winning seasons....NONE....That was 25 wins in 82 games.... a lot of folks wanted his head.... then it changed and he went twenty consecutive years with a winning record in every one of them and usually with 10 or more wins and a lot of them were only 14 game seasons.. not 16 games..

Jimmy Johnson even went 1-13 his first one and everyone laughed about how he was not capable of moving up to the pro-level from the college ranks.

Enjoy this year and let's see what happens..... I am not saying he is Tom Landry but back off and be happy...Some of you are sounding like a Notre Dame fan after a 10-2 year and didn't win the National Title.....

___________________________________________________-

Dallas Cowboys:

Regular Season ........... W .... L .... T

1960, Dallas .................. 0 .....11.....1

1961, Dallas.................. 4..... 9..... 1

1962, Dallas .................. 5..... 8..... 1

1963, Dallas .................. 4..... 10..... 0

1964, Dallas .................. 5..... 8..... 1

1965, Dallas .................. 7..... 7 ..... 0

1966, Dallas .................. 10..... 3..... 1

1967, Dallas .................. 9..... 5..... 0

1968, Dallas .................. 12..... 2..... 0

1969, Dallas .................. 11..... 2..... 1

1970, Dallas .................. 10..... 4..... 0

1971, Dallas-x..................11..... 3..... 0

1972, Dallas .................. 10..... 4..... 0

1973, Dallas .................. 10..... 4..... 0

1974, Dallas .................. 8..... 6..... 0

1975, Dallas .................. 10..... 4..... 0

1976, Dallas .................. 11..... 3..... 0

1977, Dallas-x................ 12..... 2..... 0

1978, Dallas .................. 12..... 4..... 0

1979, Dallas ..................11..... 5..... 0

1980, Dallas .................. 12..... 4..... 0

1981, Dallas .................. 12..... 4..... 0

1982, Dallas .................. 6..... 3..... 0

1983, Dallas .................. 12..... 4..... 0

1984, Dallas .................. 9..... 7..... 0

1985, Dallas .................. 10..... 6..... 0

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

--Tom Landry went 25-53-4 during his first six years and had NO winning seasons....NONE....That was 25 wins in 82 games.... a lot of folks wanted his head.... then it changed and he went twenty consecutive years with a winning record in every one of them and usually with 10 or more wins and a lot of them were only 14 game seasons.. not 16 games..

Jimmy Johnson even went 1-13 his first one and everyone laughed about how he was not capable of moving up to the pro-level from the college ranks.

Enjoy this year and let's see what happens..... I am not saying he is Tom Landry but back off and be happy...Some of you are sounding like a Notre Dame fan after a 10-2 year and didn't win the National Title.....

Back off what and give what up???? I'm not calling for the guys head. I even posted that I hope it works out with JJ and UNT.

Edited by AnotherEagleFan