When Is The Mean Green Bowl?

TeachinTodd

This will be #4. I imagine that we will draft teams towards the end of this month and play the game in April. We usually have it the weekend after Spring practice is over, so Spring practice is actually happening in the Spring this year - thus the later start. This way we can have our honorary captains/coaches involved (for those of you not familiar with the game, we usually have about 10 players involved in the game - 5 for each side, last year we had about 15 or so show up)... so, if we put it after their Spring practices/Spring Game, they can have a lot more fun with it because it is time for the team to "relax" until two-a-days...

For the last couple of years Hope and Medpilot have put these games together, and they have done a fantastic job. I guess we will have to see if either one of them responds to this post to se if we need someone new to pick up the responsiblities for this year's game. I organized the first one and helped with #2 and #3 - but Steve and Hope pretty much took care of everything last year.

Whomever organizes it - I have good news... I still have the trophy from last year sitting on my desk so all we have to do is by a new year for it. That will save us some money and it is a very nice trophy. Also, due to my bad back - I would like to be captain/coach for the green team again. If you can't be an athlete - be an athletic supporter :P

March or April is great....

We do need two changes to the GMG bowl.

1. Played at Fouts

2. Jerseys being made for the game with numbers... Cheap Jerseys... not expensive ones...

Nice of you to step forward and take the lead on this UNTPlaymaker. I'll take a large shirt if you will and make sure the game is not on an "A" shift please so that I can school emmitt again.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Nice of you to step forward and take the lead on this UNTPlaymaker. I'll take a large shirt if you will and make sure the game is not on an "A" shift please so that I can school emmitt again.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

You couldn't cover me if you were a blanket and I was freezing.

Make sure it is on a Saturday I am off.

I worked this past Saturday (3/3) and am off 3/10.

Set it for April 21. I am off that day for sure.

April 21 is when they are doing the big Relay For life at Fouts so I dont think that will work

Side note, I'm doing the Relay For Life this year for my Mom who passed away almost a year ago, so if you want to support me super let me know and I'll send you the link!!!

Hi Guys,

The game is tenatively scheduled for April 21st at 10:00AM. We will be this game and all future games on the Andrew Smith practice field (where we played last year). Fouts Field is again booked for the "Race for Life" event. I am in contact with the Athletic office now trying to get all the dates pinned down. Coach Dodge is a bit harder to work with as he is gone a lot of the time. We are penciled in for that Saturday (21st) as the Spring game is on the 22nd. (Sunday) My shirt screener went out of business this year, so I am searching for a new vendor for that. AS for the jersey request, unless someone has a point of contact for that, we will be going with T-shirts as usual. A timeline for events and deadlines will be posted as soon as I can get Coach Dodge to approve them. As it stands right now, (remember these dates are TENATIVE)...

March 9th - GMG-Bowl Committee and team captains selected

March 16th - have shirt vendors selected. (Ashley will get design as she did last year...thanks Kit)

March 23rd - Player BIOS due, along with shirt sizes.

March 29th - Live player draft on GMG Board, plus any trades or substuitutes (time to be determined, but shooting for 9:00PM)

March 31st - Shirts orders placed based on team colors (everyone will pay their fees on gameday...reduces the hassle) Any fundraisers is addition to the game and shirt fees should be submitted no late than this date.

April 20th - Field walk-through for the Referees and committee. If field safe, go to dinner. If field not safe, walk field B.

April 21st -

Setup at 8:00AM.

Shirts handed out at 9:00 and money collected.

Team warmups and photos at 9:30

Captains coin-toss at 9:50

Opening prayer in tribute of Andrew Smith at 9:55

Game-time - 10:00

As always, let's remember why we play this game. It is a lot of fun, but takes some effort to put together. We do all of this each year in memory of a fallen hero. We remember a young man who gave all of himself to step up and bring North Texas a Bowl win. He was the best of what North Texas Athletics stood for. This game provides money for the student athletes to go to summer school, or help with costs of their education.

More information will be posted as I get things solidified. In the meantime, be thinking about your BIOS and let's play some football!!

GMG!!!