Doubt About Future Of Cusa ?

MeanGreen61

Comparing Louisiana-lafayette's situation to UT,Cal,Missouri and Tennessee is apples and oranges. Those schools are Flagship schools of larger systems with other schools within their system. Louisiana-Lafayette is a regional school WITHIN a system. A better comparison is UTEP(UT-El Paso); a school within the system. You are recognized athletically as ULL or Louisiana-Lafayette except in Lafayette, Louisiana. The END.

You referenced the UT system.

You compared us to UTEP.

That is a bad example.

You see, we are the flagship of the UL system.

It will become more evident to you as time goes by.

Thank you for your interest in UL athletics.

You compared us to UTEP.

That is a bad example.

Call the pizza place. Think they have a 2 for 1 today.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Make no mistake. ECU, Marshall, and UCF are PI$$ED with the current situation.

There is no way that a conference which stretches from the Rocky Mountains of northern Mexico, to the near vicinity of the Great Lakes, to the beaches of southern Florida can stay together much longer.

Sooner or later, the split will happen.

CUSA will look something like this:

UTEP

HOUSTON

RICE

SMU

NORTH TEXAS

TULSA

LOUISIANA TECH

LOUISIANA

TULANE

While the eastern schools will either merge with the rest of the SBC or, more likely, form their own league just like the MWC did.

Of course, we'd love a conference like that but would the eastern schools? Put yourself in the position of East Carolina. Would I rather play UTEP, Tulsa. SMU, Rice, Houston, and Tulane or Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Arkansas State, Troy, Florida International and Florida Atlantic? There would be some savings on travel costs but how well would the new members draw? What happens to ULM? Don't they go with the western teams or do we include them for a 13-team league? Will Memphis and Southern Miss agree to the split? How is conference money divided? Do we 'cherry pick' and just take two or three to go with the six easternmost teams? etc., etc.

It's hard to see that this would voluntarily happen. The only way is to have a group split off as did the MWC, The difference is, the MWC took eight teams, enough to form a conference, from the existing 16 teams. If the Cajuns and Mean Green left the SBC it would wreck it; if La Tech left the WAC, it would only put the conference on shaky ground.

I just don't see your league existing. I think that the breakup will eventually come from Big East expansion after the basketball schools form a new league. Then it will come down to which schools the Big East wants with the leftovers likely to stay in CUSA.

Guest GrayEagleOne

GEO, you make some interesting points about the state of the proposed stadium and the attitude you have witnessed recently but are somewhat vague. Care to share some light on your observations of late, or are you not comfortable commenting at this time?

Since my main source is no longer on the staff, I can't really comment on the current status of the silent part of the capital campaign. I've heard of several large donations that were possible a while back and as far as I know are still possible. I guess my optimism largely stems from comments by the coaching staff that the new stadium would be ready in 2009. I don't believe that any of our caoching staff would let that slip unless that had been told to them. Deep posted that one of our recruits family (presumedly dad) had stated that among the campus changes would be a new stadium in 2009. I've had friends tell me, without my bringing it up, that they were glad to see that we were getting a new stadium. When I asked where they heard that information, they said that they heard it from more than one source, as if it were common knowledge.

I felt sure that it would not happen in that time frame under Dickey but Todd Dodge has generated so much hope and enthusiasm that I believe that there may have been some soft promises after his hire. If it's so then I think that we'll hear an official announcement before the fall season, maybe sooner.

Since my main source is no longer on the staff, I can't really comment on the current status of the silent part of the capital campaign. I've heard of several large donations that were possible a while back and as far as I know are still possible. I guess my optimism largely stems from comments by the coaching staff that the new stadium would be ready in 2009. I don't believe that any of our caoching staff would let that slip unless that had been told to them. Deep posted that one of our recruits family (presumedly dad) had stated that among the campus changes would be a new stadium in 2009. I've had friends tell me, without my bringing it up, that they were glad to see that we were getting a new stadium. When I asked where they heard that information, they said that they heard it from more than one source, as if it were common knowledge.

I felt sure that it would not happen in that time frame under Dickey but Todd Dodge has generated so much hope and enthusiasm that I believe that there may have been some soft promises after his hire. If it's so then I think that we'll hear an official announcement before the fall season, maybe sooner.

I am really glad to hear this info...that does sound like there are some donor prospects coming on board who are going to get this started. I just don't understand if that is true, why there has been no official press conference? For now, I'll trust that it is going to happen as you say. I certainly hope so...sounds like you have been going on credible info. You are right. I don't think the coaching staff would be allowed to make such comments if they did not know some inside info of what you speak. That is really good news.

You compared us to UTEP.

That is a bad example.

The confusion comes from La-Lafayette and La-Monroe trying to be the University of Lousiana at the same time. You two have the worst identity crisis in the nation.

I am really glad to hear this info...that does sound like there are some donor prospects coming on board who are going to get this started. I just don't understand if that is true, why there has been no official press conference? For now, I'll trust that it is going to happen as you say. I certainly hope so...sounds like you have been going on credible info. You are right. I don't think the coaching staff would be allowed to make such comments if they did not know some inside info of what you speak. That is really good news.

I seem to recall Vic Trilli making some CUSA predictions to recruits, but that's another story. I agree that the 2009 stadium date has been mentioned by too many recently for it not to have some validity or backing. With the land at Eagle Point pretty much in a "ready to build" state I believe a stadium could be done in ~15 months. Shooting for an August 2009 completion date would mean roughly turning dirt no later than say May 2008. Could this really happen that quick? :o

Shooting for an August 2009 completion date would mean roughly turning dirt no later than say May 2008. Could this really happen that quick? :o

Don't think so. Call me pessimistic if you must. Grad88 you're backing down too easily with questionable-at-best "insider" information. I'm still in the "Nothin is happening till you SHO ME THE MONEY!". That means no 2009. Someone please prove me wrong but there are only two people at this point who can prove me wrong - RV or Dr. B. And yes - IT IS POSSIBLE for coaches to make empty promises based on "hoped for" events to happen. Just because it is THE Todd Dodge doesn't mean he wouldn't let a little white lie go out. So what if it doesn't happen until 2012 - was it really a lie? Just a misunderstanding, right? :rolleyes:

Will Memphis and Southern Miss agree to the split?

I agree with your post. And I dont see Tulane, Memphis and Southern Miss splitting up anytime soon. I think that these 3 schools will try to stay together (they always have).

Speaking out of the other side of my mouth allows me to add.... "unless a BCS Football Conference comes calling." :)

I agree with your post. And I dont see Tulane, Memphis and Southern Miss splitting up anytime soon. I think that these 3 schools will try to stay together (they always have).

Speaking out of the other side of my mouth allows me to add.... "unless a BCS Football Conference comes calling." :)

--Memphis was in the Missouri Valley when North Texas was ---so was Louisville and Cincinatti.... the others weren't.

Don't think so. Call me pessimistic if you must. Grad88 you're backing down too easily with questionable-at-best "insider" information. I'm still in the "Nothin is happening till you SHO ME THE MONEY!". That means no 2009. Someone please prove me wrong but there are only two people at this point who can prove me wrong - RV or Dr. B. And yes - IT IS POSSIBLE for coaches to make empty promises based on "hoped for" events to happen. Just because it is THE Todd Dodge doesn't mean he wouldn't let a little white lie go out. So what if it doesn't happen until 2012 - was it really a lie? Just a misunderstanding, right? :rolleyes:

Now...as I said, I would feel more assured if they had had the press conference announcing the donors. That is generally the way it is done. ;)

That was how long ago?

North Texas was in the MVC 1957-1974.

Cincinnati - 1957-1969

Louisville - 1963-1974

Memphis - 1968-1973

New Mexico State - 1970-1983

Tulsa - 1935-1996

We had some pretty good basketball games back in the day in the old Snake Pit. Talk about a loud gym.

North Texas was in the MVC 1957-1974.

Cincinnati - 1957-1969

Louisville - 1963-1974

Memphis - 1968-1973

New Mexico State - 1970-1983

Tulsa - 1935-1996

We had some pretty good basketball games back in the day in the old Snake Pit. Talk about a loud gym.

---Bradley, Drake and Wichita State were members also and the entire collection was very good. I think everyone mentioned except us and Tulsa has made the final four... and Tulsa has won the NIT.

---It was crazier than just loud.... The concession stand would not sell ice in cokes for fear it would wind up on the floor... a lot of those cups did after what we thought was questionable calls. There was even more craziness and it was great fun. It was called the "Snake Pit" or just plain "Pit " for a reason.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66