Fw*telegram Riley Dodge/tre Newton Commit To Ut

OldTimer

Carroll juniors Dodge, Newton commit early to TexasBy TRAE THOMPSON

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The duo will stay together.

Southlake Carroll junior quarterback Riley Dodge and junior running back Tré Newton both committed to Texas on Saturday after attending the Longhorns' second Junior Day.

"It's awesome," said Dodge, who was recruited as an athlete. "It's been a great day.... It's crazy. It's kind of surreal."

Dodge and Newton helped lead Carroll to its third consecutive Class 5A state title in 2006, the final one for former head coach Todd Dodge, Riley's father, who is now the head coach at North Texas.

Both plan to graduate early later this year.

"Yeah, it's weird how it happened that we're going to stay together," Newton said. "But we're both excited."

The two continued to produce during their second year of varsity in 2006. Newton finished with 136 carries for 1,040 yards (7.6 avg.) during the regular season and scored 11 touchdowns. His best games, though, came in the playoffs.

To me this is a blow I had hopes we would get these players. We did get 3 of his better SRs in Padron, Russo and a wide receiver plus another former SLC WR transferred from Rice. We have 2 current SLC WR's...the best of the returnees to SLC that are considering NT at this time for the 2008 recruiting class.

In the regional final, he set Carroll school records with 41 carries for 296 yards in a 33-7 win over Colleyville Heritage.

He also scored on a 74-yard run in Carroll's 43-29 victory over Austin Westlake in the Class 5A Division I state title game.

"It feels good to get it out of the way, and now I can focus on getting myself better and getting ready for the season," Newton said. "Texas was one of my top schools. Everything seemed right. I liked the coaching staff, I liked coach [Mack] Brown."

Dodge was The Associated Press Class 5A Offensive Player of the Year and the EA Sports National Junior Player of the Year. He finished the regular season second among 5A area passers, completing 150 of 228 passes for 2,459 yards and 32 touchdowns. He also had 103 carries for 876 yards (8.5 avg.) and 11 touchdowns.

"I'm excited that he gets to play for such a tremendous coaching staff, and men who take care of kids," said Todd Dodge, who was speaking at the University of Missouri football clinic. "His room was burnt orange as a kid, and now he's earned the opportunity to go play with the Longhorns."

Riley Dodge said the fact that neither he nor Newton has lost a high school game impressed Brown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trae Thompson, 817-685-3866 mtthompson@star-telegram.com

Someone speculated a while back if Nate's comment would get to the NCAAs and back fire into some future investigation. With all the hoopla being uncovered over at USC, it might make them want to give UT a second look.

The NCAA will not even investigate USC even after the past few years when it is obvious the program is out of control. They did nothing to OU and they sure as hell will not touch one of their other poster children in Texas. The NCAA is a bunch of hypocritical bullies who mainly focus on the little guys to make statements. The BCS groups have way to much money invested for the NCAA to actually assert some control.

Just my opinion.

Lest anyone mistake this comment for a jab at UT he is referring to a comment by Nate Newton that NT "doesn't pay enough."

GB, I know you didn't need the defending but I could just foresee a myriad of well-intentioned defenses of UT's honor by "true Texans."

Thanks Emmitt,

You're correct. I typed before I thought. Thanks for the CMA.