Riley Dodge Commits To Ut

Keith7

I think we all started feeling like his chances of committing to UNT were less with all the recent visits and many of our gut feelings with all that, too. I also think many of us probably thought his committing to UT might make the most sense for the young Dodge since (after all) that is where many of us saw his papa play some pretty good SWC football.

Said it before--will say it again, but no college football program will be made or broken by one letter of intent signing; now if you can get a bunch of RD's signed up then thats another thing.

I still say we have the most important Dodge in the Mean Green Country showroom and that being our head football coach, ie, Todd Dodge. We really do need to make sure he is coaching in a 40,000 seat (give or take "only" a few) stadium as soon as that is possible...........

................but that is (for darn sure) not a subtle hint to start a sub-topic thread within this thread talking about what we have done or what we haven't done with UNT fundraising in the past, either: or how we (apparently) cannot ever do different in Denton than we have in the past :rolleyes:FWIW, aren't we sorta' going to have to do different than what we've ever done before? After all, we are only asking our new prez "Dr. B", AD Rick Villarreal and new HFC Todd Dodge to raise more monies than is in our entire UNT System endowment for this humongous project which will be constructed in the middle of those 2 Texas interstates, but (oddly enough) I think this aforementioned team (with a few other UNT celebrities helping the cause) can get this new stadium deal done. :blink:

GOOD LUCK, RILEY DODGE! WE WILL BE PULLING FOR YOUR SUCCESS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I wish Riley the best. Going to the same school as his dad is great. I am a little surprised he committed this early especially since he being reruited as an athlete. What position will he play? I am sure Mack told him there is a chance to play QB, but I am not sure his size or speed is suited for other positions at UT given the rich classes they recruit.

Best of luck Riley. I am sure your dad is very proud of you.

Edited by scotty474

I am a little surprised he he committed this early especially since he being reruited as an athlete.

That's the way Mack recruits. He makes an offer and if the prospect commits within the week they have a ship. That's why he got burned by Ryan Periloux (sp). He lets the recruits know their are plenty of kids out their who would commit right now and then turns around and leaves.

Said it before--will say it again, but no college football program will be made or broken by one letter of intent signing; now if you can get a bunch of RD's signed up then thats another thing.

Agreed. It's very refreshing to watch legitimate recruiting races between UNT and other big schools for a change.

Best of luck on the 40 Acres, Riley and Tre.

Sounds like UT fans are not extremely excited about Riley and definetly don't think he should play QB. This is just part of one post on BurntOrangenation.com, but the rest same generally the same thing.

Riley Dodge

"Riley Dodge has been named the offensive the year [..] on the Texas Sports Writers Association's Class 5A all-state football team." From

here.

That's sounds huge, considering he has achieved that while being a junior. I don't follow high school football, so I'm probably missing something here. I can't imagine that these awards are crap, and 5A shouldn't be crap either! Why do you guys think he's not a top recruit?

by Cyrus on Sun Feb 25, 2007 at 04:03:48 AM EST

I had the chance to see him

at the state championship when I was in San Antonio over the holidays. He was alright, but didn't strike me as Big XII material. I got the impression that he is more the product of a psychotic system that begins in Jr. high school, rather than any kind of outstanding talent.

He didn't look comfortable in the pocket at all, he would panic and scramble if his first receiver wasn't available (which made me wonder if Westlake was the first team he had faced that was consistently putting pressure on him). His success came mostly in the second half when Westlake got tired, at which point I began to see those ESPN highlights I'd seen of Carroll all season. Also, it was in the second half that his father made some great adjustments to get his receivers open (again, its the system that wins those championships).

by BrooklynHorn on Sun Feb 25, 2007 at 11:53:52 AM EST

[ Parent ]

Just to rain on everyone's parade.

"He can't even recruit his own kid" the phrase every team recruiting against NT will use for years to come.

On the contrary, when's the last time we received a commitment from a recruit that was offered a ship at UT?? It's the majority of Texas HS football player's dream to play at UT, that's why UT has the #1 recruiting class in Texas year after year. I think our future recruits will understand that and it could be a long time before we are able to steal any recruits from UT. The kids we may get are the ones who are smart enough to realize how easy it is to get lost in the shuffle at UT (which, unfortunately is I what fear will happen to Riley) and will choose to be the 'big fish in the little pond' at UNT where they may be able to start immediately and excel against SBC competition.

Now, if Riley had committed to SMU or Rice, I wouldn't have the same argument.