Yes I meant American IDOL but wasn't thinking.

I can't remember the guys name, but one of the guys was a student in the late 90's (graduated in '99). I saw a special on the news yesterday about him. He was a Jazz vocal singer at North Texas.

He made it past the first round tonight......my wife loves the fact that we have an excuse to watch now.....have to root for the NT guy.

GMG!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mad Hatter

Yes I meant American IDOL but wasn't thinking.

I can't remember the guys name, but one of the guys was a student in the late 90's (graduated in '99). I saw a special on the news yesterday about him. He was a Jazz voacl singer at North Texas.

He made it past the first round tonight......my wife loves the fact that we have an excuse to watch now.....have to root for the NT guy.

GMG!!!!!!!!!!

Brandon Rogers

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007/feb/1...-iamerican-ido/

<H1 class=headline>Former UNT student makes the top 12 for the guys on American Idol </H1>By Blair Lovern

Brandon Rogers, a former UNT College of Music student, will sing on American Idol on Feb. 20 as one of the top 12 male performers in the competition.

Rogers is a 29-year-old from California if you believe UNT. Or he is a 28-year-old if you believe American Idol. Is this more damning controversy that puts a stop to anything meaningful in our lives? Anyway, he attended UNT from 1996 to 1999 and performed in the UNT Jazz Singers, the centerpiece ensemble of the university’s vocal jazz studies program.

“He did a very good job and was always reliable,” says Paris Rutherford, professor of music and director of the UNT Jazz Singers. “He was exceptionally supportive of his fellow singers.”

That's real nice, but that isn't going to get you a record deal. You gotta have splash! Pizazz! Unprecedented BALLYHOO! You have to make people want to puke over your ballyhoo.

Rogers seems like a good guy. On his American Idol bio page he mentions his parents not once, not twice but three times. But on the "Most embarrassing moments?" question there is this response:

n/a

Great. Is this more damning controversy that America does not need? Because I'm telling you right this second that America doesn't need any more damning controversy, like I just said before I emphasized it again.

Rogers has some stuff on YouTube including this audition clip:

Brandon Rogers American Idol audition

At UNT he was one of several featured soloists on the Jazz Singers’ Yesterdays album, along with Norah Jones. The group has repeatedly been named “Best College Jazz Choir” by DownBeat magazine.

He made it through again last night. I think they're down to the Top 10 Guys now.

It would be pretty awesome to have an American Idol winner as an Alumni. They might not do much long term, but if he has half a mind to give back to his school, it could be big for publicity.

We helped a Cheerleader when a contest, surely we can help Brandon make it! (and don't call me Shirley).

GMG!!!