You Call Yourself A Fan

kmb0204

I am so ashamed of some of the comments being made about the Dodgers and Talons. The Dodgers is not even a real group yet. I posted idea of the Mean Green Dodgers to gain ideas about things the university can do to increase sprit. Now there are 4 pages of nothing but Talons vs. dodgers and the name of the ORG is dumb. Maybe you guys should stop thinking about yourself and instead give up ideas that the university may use to increase fan attendance.

I am so ashamed of some of the comments being made about the Dodgers and Talons.

I think that most of the comments are not against the idea of a new spirit group but rather lamenting in the fact that students would find the need for a new spirit group.

Believe me, alumni are always happy to see students get excited about the Mean Green - it's just that we wish there was one common spirit group that was able to encompass all of the students that bleed Green.

If you feel the Dodgers is the best way to get more students into the Mean Green, then by all means, go for it. I was not a member of either the Talons or Wings, so I can't speak directly to their pluses and minuses. But getting people involved is the main thing!

I am so ashamed of some of the comments being made about the Dodgers and Talons. The Dodgers is not even a real group yet. I posted idea of the Mean Green Dodgers to gain ideas about things the university can do to increase sprit. Now there are 4 pages of nothing but Talons vs. dodgers and the name of the ORG is dumb. Maybe you guys should stop thinking about yourself and instead give up ideas that the university may use to increase fan attendance.

I will state my suggestion again, and you can tell me how I am a bad fan:

Gather all of the currently organized groups, and see how to best coordinate them before try starting a 12th organization.

Maybe try and get everyone to meet after watching a Saturday football practice.

What is wrong with that idea? I am not going to sign anybody up, but I bet it wouldn't take much arguing to get a couple of the posters to organize something like this. Might even be a good opportunity to make sure that DD-era brisket will work in this new TD-era.

So who's in?

Ahh, the annual "everybody on a fan message board sucks but I am the best fan ever" post. Good to see this tradition hasn't died.

It's one tradition even over-socializing fatties can't ruin. ;)

Sorry, I had to.

Now there are 4 pages of nothing but Talons vs. dodgers and the name of the ORG is dumb.

Ummm, news flash buddy...it IS dumb.

Edited by JayDub

I think that most of the comments are not against the idea of a new spirit group but rather lamenting in the fact that students would find the need for a new spirit group.

Did you read the thread? Apparently things are so slow on here that general Talons bashing is no longer adequate and must be stepped up (pulled down?) to making fun of the physical characteristics of about half of the females.

Did you read the thread? Apparently things are so slow on here that general Talons bashing is no longer adequate and must be stepped up (pulled down?) to making fun of the physical characteristics of about half of the females.

Did you not read that he said "MOST of the comments".

Want to talk about Talons bashing? Walk around campus and ask other students what they think of the Talons. They'll either make fun of them...or they won't know they exist. Am I the only one that thinks this is a problem?

Did you not read that he said "MOST of the comments".

Want to talk about Talons bashing? Walk around campus and ask other students what they think of the Talons. They'll either make fun of them...or they won't know they exist. Am I the only one that thinks this is a problem?

Not everyone will make fun of them. Some of them will tell you how much they love their bandanas and doing pushups.

Not everyone will make fun of them. Some of them will tell you how much they love their bandanas and doing pushups.

See...that's kinda sad to me. That those douchebags in Wings are more widely recognized by the student body than the Talons. Again...things that really should be considered a problem. And you'd think that the Talons would realize this, but alas, they've been oblivious for years.

I wish I was a better fan....

Sorry I let you down....

As far as resporting to name calling and making fun of the appearances of the members of any said group...though funny, I can come up with quite a few more things to bitch about or 'make fun' of if you will of it. Its funny when a group of 6 guys and a few spirited alums makes the University's OFFICIAL spirit group look silly at basketball games. Yes I am referring to the Original Pit Crew circa 2004-2005.

Coming from someone who with some friends saw a need for a new spirit group, go for it do whatever it takes to get your friends and fellow students to the damn games...but i agree with alot of people...name it after the SCHOOL...not the coach...

Edited by UNT_92_Fan

I guess the whole idea went down the tubes because I called the Talons like I saw them. I'm large too guys. I'm not a fat people hater, I don't enjoy belittling people. If I was to ask you guys to point out Rosie O'Donnell in a pack of about 30 people, would you guys truly not use overweight in your discription? It is a distinguishing characteristic, like it or not. Also there will be others that say I'm trying to make fun of them with me "sense of belonging" comment.

Well, again, I call it like I see it. If they were there for spirit, they would not be sitting or gossip, they would be standing and cheering their butts off. This is the only reason I believe them to have a need for belonging, otherwise, it wouldn't piss of the rest of the student base that they take up the best seats just to sit and talk about nothing. I bet if you went up to ask them what the score was at any given point in a game that they would have to look at the scoreboard before telling you. This has to stop whether we do something about it or you guys do.

Talons get so offended but I ask you this, try looking at yourselves from the outside and maybe you can appreciate the disappointment coming from the diehard student fans.

Talons get so offended but I ask you this, try looking at yourselves from the outside and maybe you can appreciate the disappointment coming from the diehard student fans.

That right there is the BEST thing you have said in this thread...and I challenge the Talons to do so... Take a step back and loko at what your spirit group is doing...you will finally see exactly what everyone is bithcing about i bet...

imho... we can't have spirit groups that you have to "pledge" or be a "member" of. many zealous unt fans are members of other organizations (like SGA, fraternities/sororities... ect) and have no interest nor time in being a member of another organization. i wish that the talons would take a more active role in organizing all of the UNT students. i.e. i was a member of an organization on campus for 4 1/2 years that averaged 50 people a week at meetings and if at anytime someone would have asked to come to our meetings and take 5 minutes to talk about UNT athletics, getting out of the parking lots and trying to create an "atmosphere" inside the stadium, arena or whatever and this is how we would like to do it and we need your help... they would have been more than welcome to talk! all organizations have a responsibility to the university to improve it and one of those ways is to try and get it's members out to athletic events but this is not their mission and focus. a lot of them give back to the school in different ways. so when you have an organization like Talons whose mission is to protect the traditions and increase student involvement at athletic events, they need to take the reigns in reaching out. they may have a perception problem (who doesn't) but that can be changed with a good pr/marketing campaign. so i agree that we need to unify the student groups but believe me, it's harder said than done but when it comes to athletics... Talons has to take the reigns on this.... btw, i think it is pretty low to come on here and start bashing on them for some of their physical appearances. just a little advise; when you are trying to make a point and you immediately start demoralizing someone with remarks like that, you immediately lose 1/2 of the people you are talking to because instead of listening to what you have to say, they are still trying to get over the fact that you called someone a fat ass.

imho... we can't have spirit groups that you have to "pledge" or be a "member" of. many zealous unt fans are members of other organizations (like SGA, fraternities/sororities... ect) and have no interest nor time in being a member of another organization. i wish that the talons would take a more active role in organizing all of the UNT students. i.e. i was a member of an organization on campus for 4 1/2 years that averaged 50 people a week at meetings and if at anytime someone would have asked to come to our meetings and take 5 minutes to talk about UNT athletics, getting out of the parking lots and trying to create an "atmosphere" inside the stadium, arena or whatever and this is how we would like to do it and we need your help... they would have been more than welcome to talk! all organizations have a responsibility to the university to improve it and one of those ways is to try and get it's members out to athletic events but this is not their mission and focus. a lot of them give back to the school in different ways. so when you have an organization like Talons whose mission is to protect the traditions and increase student involvement at athletic events, they need to take the reigns in reaching out. they may have a perception problem (who doesn't) but that can be changed with a good pr/marketing campaign. so i agree that we need to unify the student groups but believe me, it's harder said than done but when it comes to athletics... Talons has to take the reigns on this.... btw, i think it is pretty low to come on here and start bashing on them for some of their physical appearances. just a little advise; when you are trying to make a point and you immediately start demoralizing someone with remarks like that, you immediately lose 1/2 of the people you are talking to because instead of listening to what you have to say, they are still trying to get over the fact that you called someone a fat ass.

well-said. ditto. what he said. etc, etc

All good points other than the bold statement at the beginning. If you don't have a requirement of somekind to be a member then more than likely much of the reason as to why your there in the first place won't stick. To be in Talons it's required that you learn and remember some of our history, which became our Traditions. Then when that's done your more ready to pass them on to others and promote them. If you don't have some kind of an activity to remember and pass on the tradtions then you end up with a lot of people having to come on sites like this and ask redundant questions over and over as to why we do this or why we do that? Why are we Mean Green and not solely the Eagles? Why can't we just go back to being North Texas State like it ALWAYS was?

Trust me when I say that 16 to 18 years ago we didn't have much of these concerns about our longest standing spirit organtization. But there is no reason why people who have the conerns who are on campus cannot join and do something about it. It's very easy and takes little time to do it. All you really need is a bit of passion for the Mean Green and your 3/4ths there.

Again, I encourage anyone who thinks they can make a difference to join Talons and their 70 some odd years of history and get the ball rolling!

Rick

I dont pretend to know all of the groups that have been mentioned. But, it seems to me that Several good points have come from this thread and others like it. It appears that we need the spirit groups but we also need more people at the games. So the question remains the same "how do we generate the interest needed to get more students and alumni at the games?" Add a group called the Dodgers? Unify all the groups? Put pressure on RV to put together and / or publish a study of what it will take to generate the interest? All of the above?

The reality is that if it were a simple solution attendance wouldnt be a problem. I truly do not think that this will be an issue in 5-10 years. I think that the Master Plan for the University will generate more pride and loyalty and therefore more interest in every aspect of UNT including sports.

I feel that The University Administration (including RV) is on the right track. But I also agree that we should not just sit and wait.

I agree with both Rick and ForneyGreen. Get the groups together and unified. Take a couple of people from each group to serve as representatives (this is the new group) in order to maximize the performance of all groups.

i don't think it is a bold statement. the reason why most students are there to begin with is because they want to go to a football/basketball game, act like college students and have a good time while supporting their school. they don't want to go to meetings. they want to go to games. are talons there to educate it's members soley or are they there to educate their members and then equip them with the tools to educate the student body? i think that is a key difference. personally i have never seen a "our traditions" presentation by the Talons to the student body. imho, i think that this organization is in bad need of defining itself.