Fwiw - 2007 Sun Belt Recruiting, What It Means ?

MeanGreen61

7. North Texas

The class is heavy on ... Receivers. If new head coach Todd Dodge is going to run his no-huddle spread passing game, he needs receivers. He got them with this class full of seven wideouts and tight end Jordan Scoggins who'll all be asked to contribute right away. Running back wasn't a priority, but there's no way the team could pass up JUCO transfer Cameron Montgomery, who ripped off 23 touchdowns in his senior year of high school.

The player who'll someday be a really big deal ... LB A.J. Penson

The player you might care about this year ... RB Cameron Montgomery

What it all means to the real world of college football ... It's asking the world for a bunch of true freshmen to come in and take one of the nation's worst passing games and making it shine. It's going to take a while for everything to kick in, so expect a lot of growing pains this year until everyone figures out what they're doing. A lot. Fortunately, the running backs are so good the offense will havew some positives to rely on.

SUN BELT RECRUITING

http://cfn.scout.com/2/618779.html

Edited by MeanGreen61

It's asking the world for a bunch of true freshmen to come in and take one of the nation's worst passing games and making it shine. It's going to take a while for everything to kick in, so expect a lot of growing pains this year until everyone figures out what they're doing.

I think a lot of us are going to need to take some deep breaths and remember these statements during some of the more trying times this upcoming season.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Boy, do I have ambivalent feelings about this upcoming season.

On one hand, I recognize that we've only one five games in the last two years but I think that much of that was due to trying to continually attack stacked defenses, injuries, and poor line and quarterback play. With having Lefty back in the fold and the Dodge/Ford tandem of coaching quarterbacks and improved play-calling, I think that the injury factor could be the only thing in the way of a MAJOR turnaround.

The defense won't be spectacular but it should be solid. This linebacking corps should remind us of the days of Spencer, Casey and Hurd. We've probably never had a faster bunch of defensive backs. Yep, the line is a problem.

Dodge will drill the offense until they are virtually mistake free but probably not by the season opener. He'll play a lot of talented freshmen and some reserves who should have received a lot more PT than they were given last year. It's tough losing Quinn and Lineberry but everywhere else I expect to see improvement.

I hope that I'm patient enough to realize that there will be a learning curve and I/we shouldn't expect this year to be a booming success. Somehow I just jave a feeling that team will be truly competitive by the fourth game. The figure 8-4 keeps popping in my head. Maybe I'm having to high spectations but no way do I see us as seventh in the conference.

I hope that I'm patient enough to realize that there will be a learning curve and I/we shouldn't expect this year to be a booming success. Somehow I just jave a feeling that team will be truly competitive by the fourth game. The figure 8-4 keeps popping in my head. Maybe I'm having to high spectations but no way do I see us as seventh in the conference.

Boy, do I have ambivalent feelings about this upcoming season.

On one hand, I recognize that we've only one five games in the last two years but I think that much of that was due to trying to continually attack stacked defenses, injuries, and poor line and quarterback play. With having Lefty back in the fold and the Dodge/Ford tandem of coaching quarterbacks and improved play-calling, I think that the injury factor could be the only thing in the way of a MAJOR turnaround.

The defense won't be spectacular but it should be solid. This linebacking corps should remind us of the days of Spencer, Casey and Hurd. We've probably never had a faster bunch of defensive backs. Yep, the line is a problem.

Dodge will drill the offense until they are virtually mistake free but probably not by the season opener. He'll play a lot of talented freshmen and some reserves who should have received a lot more PT than they were given last year. It's tough losing Quinn and Lineberry but everywhere else I expect to see improvement.

good post

Somehow I just jave a feeling that team will be truly competitive by the fourth game. The figure 8-4 keeps popping in my head. Maybe I'm having to high spectations but no way do I see us as seventh in the conference.

I agree with your entire post. But the reason that I really agree with the last couple of sentences is that Dodge is a winner. I am confident he will find a way.

One thing for sure. Dodge will have the team going into EVERY GAME looking for a WIN! Just 'trying to keep it close' is no longer a part of the UNT game plan. :rolleyes:

And everyone said...."AMEN" Coach Dodge is a winner. The funny thing about people like that is they always seem to find a way. Will there be some growing pains? Sure. But I wouldn't feel any more comfortable handing a young team over to a coach other than TD. He plays mistake-free football. Dodge will find a way. I tend to agree with the 8-4 mindset.