2008 Recruiting - Apparently, Now Is Not The Time To Rest

gangrene

I'm happy with our 2007 recruiting class, but I also hope that we've already had numerous conversations with HS Juniors. The good ones are starting to verbally commit by the droves! Texas received 9 commitments this past weekend. A few teammates of our 2007 commits (2 from Brenham, 1 from Austin Westlake) have already given verbals.

http://texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&...hange_well_id=2

While I'd love to see a few early commits to UNT, I can't say I expect it because (if I was a current HS Junior) I'd have a lot of questions about UNT football that won't be answered until this fall. Now, provided we witness a high-powered, high scoring and entertaining offense enroute to a successful 2007 season, I think we could expect some early commits this time next year.

I'm happy with our 2007 recruiting class, but I also hope that we've already had numerous conversations with HS Juniors. The good ones are starting to verbally commit by the droves! Texas received 9 commitments this past weekend. A few teammates of our 2007 commits (2 from Brenham, 1 from Austin Westlake) have already given verbals.

While I'd love to see a few early commits to UNT, I can't say I expect it because (if I was a current HS Junior) I'd have a lot of questions about UNT football that won't be answered until this fall. Now, provided we witness a high-powered, high scoring and entertaining offense enroute to a successful 2007 season, I think we could expect some early commits this time next year.

Very true. I don't think we have anything to worry about. Based on just history alone, I say TD has his finger on the pulse of this team.

UT has gotten in the habit of finisihg up their recruitng class by the time 2-a-days rolls aorund.

I suspect that TD will start soon. I also predict that we will see comittments come as a result of the summer camp at UNT.

While I see where you are coming from and agree with most of it, I would also keep in mind that we aren't recruiting against Texas. They're the big boy in this market, and if they want someone, they're more than likely to get them. Though you might get the occasional recruit who would rather just play (Markeith Knowlton), the exception, in this case, proves the rule.

This recruiting effort stole talent from a lot of other schools who wanted them, including several from under the nose of BCS programs. This class is full of kids who are good enough to play at other programs. That, with solid coaching, will make a terrific team that could one day catapult us out of the lower half of college football. But we are not there yet. We will not seriously compete in recruiting with Texas this year, or next, or next. On the field, yes. But even then, remember it took Boise State YEARS to get to a point where they could compete with OU. And they are in many ways a best case scenario.

I'm just a little wary of over inflated expectation blinding us to how awesome what we have right now really is.

Go Mean Green!

I sure hope Coach Dodge is all over this guy come Fall recruiting. He's Dravantti Johnson, a 6-2, 220 linebacker from Nederland who will be a highly rated recruit next season. He already committed during his Jr. season to A $ M. With the Dodge SE Texas connection and Micah Mosley at NT, maybe, just maybe....

drjohnsonart.jpg

Edited by DeepGreen

And it'll be intresting to see who comes in for our summer camp

Expect every marginal to exceptional QB and receiver in the state to come to the summer camp. Why would this year be any different than the last 5 or 6 years. Dodge's QB camp is always well attended.

I would expect all of these players, who are considered top recruits to attend as well as many others.

Dan Buckner, Allen, WR -- Committed to Texas

Jermie Calhoun, Van, RB

Jeffrey Fuller, McKinney Boyd, WR

Tre Newton, Southlake Carroll, RB

DeAundre Brown, Arlington Seguin, WR

Cyrus Gray, DeSoto, RB

Lanear Sampson, North Mesquite, WR

Daymond Patterson, North Mesquite, WR

Tommy Dorman, Birdville, QB

DeMarius Washington, Irving, WR

Nick Florence, South Garland, QB

Kelly Page Mesquite, QB

Stephen Payne, Allen, QB

Obie Neakuko, Mesquite Horn, WR

Troy Stoudermire, Seagoville, ATH

Chase "Yogi" Gallegos, Irving, QB/ATH

Josh Johnson, Richardson Berkner, RB/DB

Riley Dodge, Southlake Carroll, QB/WR

Kendall Thomas, West Mesquite, ATH

Jimmy Nelson, FM Marcus, QB

Adrian Richards, Mesquite, WR

Riko Smalls, Plano East, ATH

Antonie Hicks, Mansfield Timberview, WR

Braden Smith, Rockwall, QB/DB

Vincent McNeal, Roosevelt, DB/WR

Here's a little inside info for you:

The Arizona Wildcats tried to get an oral committment from my cousin this weekend(6' 250lb DT Waxahachie High School). He wants to play for Dodge at North Texas and filled out the prospect questionaire a month ago. No letter, no contact, nothing. I know it's been hectic with the new staff moving in, but I can't help but worry a little. :(

My #1 target- RILEY DODGE

When do yall expect to get our first commit? Hopefully Riley will jump on board early and get the ball rolling.

Do we have any type of Junior day? And it'll be intresting to see who comes in for our summer camp

Purely hypothetical here, and I mean hype-o-thetical:

What if Vizza excels in the Spring, shows he's the future BUT he's not the best option for the next season. So we redshirt him.

There's no such thing as unhealthy QB competition, but if that all panned out would Riley still be our number 1 recruit (whether or not he really would be)?

I'm just not so sold on Riley like the majority here seem to be. Good kid, proven winner. But I think a lot will be said this coming year when he plays under a coach that's not his dad.

Edited by greenminer

The Arizona Wildcats tried to get an oral committment from my cousin this weekend(6' 250lb DT Waxahachie High School). He wants to play for Dodge at North Texas and filled out the prospect questionaire a month ago. No letter, no contact, nothing. I know it's been hectic with the new staff moving in, but I can't help but worry a little. :(

Persistence!! Fill it out again, again and again. Have his coach get in contact. Whatever it takes. Just stay on it.

If Mark Stoops thinks enough of him to play D then I want him to play D.

Persistence!! Fill it out again, again and again. Have his coach get in contact. Whatever it takes. Just stay on it.

I'm right there with you ya!!!

He's got a very close knit family and wants to stay as close to home as possible. I'd kill myself if he went to TCU or SMU. :angry:

He's clearly stated North Texas is where he wants to be. B)

Again the coaches can not contact a recruit until Sr. Year. You can only send information on the team (schedules, etc..).

Can he go up to Denton and make contact with the coaches on his own, introduce himself with highlight video in hand?

Then how do these oral commitments from Jr's come into play? I thought coaches could contact Jr's after the football season???

:blink::huh:

Jr Year Contact

I think most Jrs. know who wants them, plus any summer camps and junior days solidifies commitments. coaches can make one call after April 15 through May 31.

Please remember that the Jr. must contact the coach. The coach can not contact the kid until Sept 1 of his Sr. year.

That statement didn't sound quite right to me last week, and now I'm almost certain it can't be correct. How could Texas Tech host a Junior day last weekend without the coaches being able to contact the players?

Texas Tech hosted its first Junior Day of the 2008 recruiting season this weekend.

Now I don't have the time nor the desire to sift through the NCAA recruiting rules and bylaws to find all the entries pertaining to recruiting HS Juniors, but just in case some of you do, here's the link: NCAA Recruiting

Recruiting Juniors is a sign of the times and we need to jump on the bus ASAP or we're going to get left behind. No, we don't directly compete with Texas or Tech for recruits, but recruiting Juniors is a trend that will eventually reach all D1-A schools and we'll need to start doing the same if we expect to ever reel in some 4 or 5 star recruits.

That statement didn't sound quite right to me last week, and now I'm almost certain it can't be correct. How could Texas Tech host a Junior day last weekend without the coaches being able to contact the players?

The student makes the trip at his cost and most likely called the coach to see if they are interested in him. When the student is on campus he can talk to the coaches if he goes to their offices. The coaches can talk to the high school coach all they want to let the student know of any interest. On Jr. day at the larger schools you could see 60-70 students in the AD. and coaches offices.

You know what is pretty cool... Riley can go to all of these "Junior" recruiting camps/visits and let dad know how they run. He can tell his dad what a school like Texas Tech does to entice recruits, let him know how they handle the process, follw up calls, etc... I don't think that it is a good idea for Riley to come play under Coach Dodge, there will be a shadow over his decisions to play or sit his son in lots of situations... it is just not good for the team. We had a kid play QB a few years back and his dad was an Assistant. Many, many times the question would come up on the board whether or not Mills should really be the starter considering that he was really not that great and the conflict of interest that came along with his dad being on the coaching staff. I think that we should keep a clean slate with TD and not go down a path where we have to question a coach or have a father/son problem if Riley is not performing at the college level. Just not worth the potential problems.

Guest GrayEagleOne

You know what is pretty cool... Riley can go to all of these "Junior" recruiting camps/visits and let dad know how they run. He can tell his dad what a school like Texas Tech does to entice recruits, let him know how they handle the process, follw up calls, etc... I don't think that it is a good idea for Riley to come play under Coach Dodge, there will be a shadow over his decisions to play or sit his son in lots of situations... it is just not good for the team. We had a kid play QB a few years back and his dad was an Assistant. Many, many times the question would come up on the board whether or not Mills should really be the starter considering that he was really not that great and the conflict of interest that came along with his dad being on the coaching staff. I think that we should keep a clean slate with TD and not go down a path where we have to question a coach or have a father/son problem if Riley is not performing at the college level. Just not worth the potential problems.

I understand your concern, Stebo, but I think that this is a much different situation than has ever occured in our history. Twice before North Texas has had head coaches give scholarships to their sons. Shields Mitchell played for his dad Odus and Hayden Fry had three sons that played for him. In fact, Hayden's top assistant, Andy Everest, also had his son play under his dad. In none of the cases was that abused. All lettered, contributed, but were not the star of the team. Yet each carried their own weight. Obviously, I think that Riley has the work ethic and talent that if he decides to go to North Texas he would not create any morale problems.

In the case of Jason Mills, he only atarted one year and he was the best that we had at that time. Statistically, he ranks pretty high up on our all-time quarterbacks which is quite an accomplishment in such a short. He was the backup to Mitch Maher and played very little until his junior year. He had three of the better receivers in our history as I recall and he didn't do harm to the receiving records of Troy Redwine, Bo Harrison or Brod McGrew. I really heard very little controversy concerning Jason but his dad may have rustled a few feathers as a coach.

I trust the Dodges. If Todd thinks that both Riley and North Texas would be better served if he came here then I'm all for it. On the other hand, if Riley has a better opportunity elsewhere, I'll understand (as long as it's not SMU or TCU).

I really never thought Riley would come here, and I don't really mind it either. We've already got our QB of the future(maybe present, this season) and I think Riley will be catching passes at TT the next 4 years. I just doubt he ends up here w/ Missouri, OSU, Tech, and other decent Big 12 teams, not to mention the host of local CUSA and MWC teams interested. Looking at it from his prespective, I wouldn't want to play for daddy another four years.