Who's Your Starting Qb

NT03

I've said before that the Daniel Meager I saw in fall practices way back in '04 was a pretty special guy. He just had this really pretty deep ball, and an almost gunslinger type feel when he was throwing it around.

I really think that his time at North Texas has been trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. I think he is a good quarterback, it just looked like his confidence got shattered somewhere along the way. He never looked comfortable, in the pocket or on the run. He never knew what to do with the ball, and he didn't understand the way the plays were being called. But worst of all was the fact that he really wasn't taught so much as berated and yelled at. Learning doesn't stop after high school; in a lot of ways, that's when it begins. I'd expect Daniel's gotta be relieved to have a chance to finally be the QB he once was.

I've been behind the guy since he stepped foot on campus, even if wasn't the right guy for the system the past couple of years. I look forward to seeing him get a shot at competing how that his strengths are being played to and not coached out of him.

My totally uninformed position would Meager, Wilson, and then Tune/Vizza, in that order. I was a big Matt Phillips fan last year, but I think he doesn't have the skill set for the college spread. Wilson's speed has to be accounted for, and I liked what I saw from Tune during Fall practices. Vizza looked good in high school, but I am not going to rank him any higher until I actually see him play.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He burned FAU for 80 yards or so on a play that was called back.

Plays like that one against FAU are part of the reason that I feel Meager will do well next year. On that play, he simply outran the entire FAU defense. Granted, a hold on our OLine basically allowed him to get to the corner, but once he was there, he was gone. The kid can flat out run, and he has a pretty good arm - if he can wrap his mind around Dodge's offense, then he may have a special year.

I have never had the chance to see Tune - I know that some on here believe that he can be special as well. Having true competition at QB, RB, and WR is going to be fun! :D

Wilson, Meager and Phillips are jokes. Way too inconsistent. Never seen Tune play so I have no comment on him so my choice is def. Vizza. This is TD's man. He's going to groom him into the type of QB for his offense. Wilson, Meager and Phillips only know how to hand the ball off, which isn't their faults they just had a crappy coach. VIZZA is my pick.

My pick is Meager, with Tune #2. He was something special in the all-star game and he only had a week to learn the spread offense.

I think Todd Dodge makes all 4 QB's better and it will be a battle thorugh spring training. Vizza's experience in the spread will benifit him, but I think the maturity and experience of Meager makes him the choice.

But my opinion means nothing, as do all of yours. The only opinion that matters is the GREAT "TODGE"

For the record wilson has 2 years of eligibility left at nt.

Yes , I stand corrected. I posted earlier he only has 1 more year , but as soon as you posted this I remembered reading Vito's article in the DRC when WW committed here and him writing that he had 3 years to play here. I usually double check my post when I put in "facts" , but JUCOs usually trigger in my head as having only 2 years. My badd!!

In other news , I think it's kind of odd ( but expected) that the 2 QBs that have never even thrown a college pass have almost 50% of the vote.

I think TD can make any 5 of these guys the starter and that all 5 could have success. Oh well , it's better to have too many strong candidates than not enough.

I also feel that if the starter goes down with an injury , we all will feel comfortable about whomever has to step up.No need to punch the panic button , as compared to years past

A misconception that a lot of people seem to have is that spread offenses have to be pass heavy. Look at WV for a spread offense that emphasizes the run. I think TD is going to run out of the spread a lot more than many people think. I am having visions of a Woody/Jamario speed option attack without 9 defenders in the box, and it is exciting. With the big WRs that TD has recruited, they should be able to block well downfield.

I'm torn because I'd like to see Wilson win the job, but I don't think he can handle it over the long haul and I'd rather him switch positions in Spring ball so he can help elsewhere. I don't have any confidence in Meager or Phillips anymore; they both consistently make the plays that get teams beat . Tune? I don't know.

So give me Vizza to win the job from the start. I really don't want to see him vs OU or even Arkansas, but he'll be in good form by the time conference play comes along.

Wilson, Meager and Phillips are jokes. Way too inconsistent. Never seen Tune play so I have no comment on him so my choice is def. Vizza. This is TD's man. He's going to groom him into the type of QB for his offense. Wilson, Meager and Phillips only know how to hand the ball off, which isn't their faults they just had a crappy coach. VIZZA is my pick.

Put Vizza in last year's offense and I guarantee you he would have been a joke to you as well. It goes without saying and anyone who thinks differently needs to rewatch some of this past year's games.

A misconception that a lot of people seem to have is that spread offenses have to be pass heavy. Look at WV for a spread offense that emphasizes the run. I think TD is going to run out of the spread a lot more than many people think. I am having visions of a Woody/Jamario speed option attack without 9 defenders in the box, and it is exciting. With the big WRs that TD has recruited, they should be able to block well downfield.

Believe this...Dodge's offense will be a pass offense. He will run the ball, but his offensive philosophy is about throwing the rock. Do not think for a second that this is going to be a 50-50 offense.

This is a pass offense.

I read that Southlake Carroll ran the ball 55% of the time last year.

For what it's worth.

I read that too , so I looked it up. Last year SLC ran the ball 452 times , passed 467. That's pretty balanced. A big misconception on TD's offense is that it's like Tech's and we will be throwing on every down. With 2 very talented backs I wouldn't be surprised if we were 50/50.

Vizza is the man of the future...but I would not throw him in the way Meager was thrown in immediately. Gradually work him in before conference starts.

Meager was thrown to the wolves and paid the price. Granted QBs get too much credit and too much blame for every game.

I think this is a ridiculous question at this point. If you believe you've actually seen anything, good or bad, out of the guys we had last year, then NONE of them should be starters, and we'd go with the new people. However, I'm of the opinion that our offensive scheme has been so poor that it didn't matter who we had at QB. With a new coach and system and not a single spring practice, it's way too early to be deciding a frontrunner. Everyone on our roster has an equal chance to surprise.

I think this is a ridiculous question at this point.

The fact that there is no front runner or clear cut favorite makes it the perfect question. If it were a RIDICULOUS question we'd have one QB with 80%+ more of the votes. Nobody knows or will know who will be at the helm vs. OU right now or anytime soon. That's why the question says who's YOUR starting QB?

It's the off season , recruiting is over ,this is a message board we need something to talk about....I see nothing RIDICULOUS , just a question.

I read that too , so I looked it up. Last year SLC ran the ball 452 times , passed 467. That's pretty balanced. A big misconception on TD's offense is that it's like Tech's and we will be throwing on every down. With 2 very talented backs I wouldn't be surprised if we were 50/50.

According to the DMN Leaderboard, they had 562 rushes.

Dodge will attack according to our strengths and weaknesses and the opponent's strengths and weaknesses. It will be more about versatility than balance.

I'm gonna have to say that Riley Dodge is the Qb of the future here at NT. Wilson or Meager will start for the next few years and Riley will come in and start as a RS Fresh.

You never know. Everyone in Austin thought Colt McCoy was just a placeholder until Jevan Snead got his feet under him....you never really know what physical/mental/quarterback trait will allow a quarterback to suceed at the college level.

It's DM's job until proven otherwise. He's fast, Smart, can read defenses and delivers the ball well on the short routes when given time. The great thing is that there won't be a coach in the state of Texas better suited to evaluate who will start and my money's on DM.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

According to the DMN Leaderboard, they had 562 rushes.

Dodge will attack according to our strengths and weaknesses and the opponent's strengths and weaknesses. It will be more about versatility than balance.

You are correct it was 562 rushes for SLC ( that's what I get for trying to add in my head ) compared to 467 passes , so it does work out to about 55% rush 45% pass. I think early on TD will have to rely on the run more ( where the most talent is right now ) until the Offense gets to learn the passing gameplan ( new system , will have a lot of freshman WR getting pt )

It's DM's job until proven otherwise. He's fast, Smart, can read defenses and delivers the ball well on the short routes when given time. The great thing is that there won't be a better coach in the state of Texas better suited to evaluate who will start and my money's on DM.

Rick

You're right. It is his to lose. Have not seen N Tune yet so I can't comment on his ability. Saw some film on Vizza, looked pretty good to me.

Under TD's system DM may very well be the guy. I do, also, agree with -Illuvious- another concussion would not be good for DM's future.

Luckily, we have 5 players competing for the QB position. Competition in sports, as well as in the American way of life, is always a good thing.