Town Hall Meeting

BIG DAWG

Back from the Town Hall Mtg...

Got to sit by Buff64...haven't talked to him since fall scrimmages...we discussed the recruiting class

Dodge came in and went over recruiting class, told a story about each recruit, some of which were similar to the press conference, others different.

Met coaching staff, finally able to put a name to faces.

Took as many questions as the crowd had to ask...which was only about 10-12 I would say.

BIG DAWG asked a couple of questions...felt oddly intimidated for some reason, not normally like me to be that way. I guess it was being in the presence of greatness...Todd Dodge

1) If there were any players currently on the roster that he has already decided on a position change?

Answer: No, not enough time to evaluate them yet - more towards spring ball

2) I also asked if the RB's would share the load similar to what we have been used to under the DD regime.

Answer: He hadn't had that luxury in the past, but if he did have that luxury he could possibly take advantage of that

Also saw the highlight film of the recruits playing in the background...really cool highlights by many of the recruits

Beer, food, etc.

Georgio was the mediator

Finally got to meet Harry face to face, haven't had that opportunity since I have been on the board somehow. Got to thank him for all of the hard work he puts into this show...I know there are others and you are also on my list.

Pretty cool all in all. Really enjoyed myself

Any specific questions send me a PM or post here...

Back from the Town Hall Mtg...

Got to sit by Buff64...haven't talked to him since fall scrimmages...we discussed the recruiting class

Dodge came in and went over recruiting class, told a story about each recruit, some of which were similar to the press conference, others different.

Met coaching staff, finally able to put a name to faces.

Took as many questions as the crowd had to ask...which was only about 10-12 I would say.

BIG DAWG asked a couple of questions...felt oddly intimidated for some reason, not normally like me to be that way. I guess it was being in the presence of greatness...Todd Dodge

1) If there were any players currently on the roster that he has already decided on a position change?

Answer: No, not enough time to evaluate them yet - more towards spring ball

2) I also asked if the RB's would share the load similar to what we have been used to under the DD regime.

Answer: He hadn't had that luxury in the past, but if he did have that luxury he could possibly take advantage of that

Also saw the highlight film of the recruits playing in the background...really cool highlights by many of the recruits

Beer, food, etc.

Georgio was the mediator

Finally got to meet Harry face to face, haven't had that opportunity since I have been on the board somehow. Got to thank him for all of the hard work he puts into this show...I know there are others and you are also on my list.

Pretty cool all in all. Really enjoyed myself

Any specific questions send me a PM or post here...

What were some of the other questions asked of Coach Dodge?

Thanks

yeah. Dodge said hes never used a tight end in 80 games, but said you can never say never, so I guess we'll see.

Fun event, nice meeting/interviewing yall.

Also enjoyed free food.

QUOTE(GreenBat @ Feb 7 2007, 08:12 PM)

Did anyone ask about our Tight Ends?

Didn't sound to keen on the idea of TE's...he was trying to keep everything very PC as he should at that time.

I think eveyone knew going in that we weren't going to hear a lot about the players.

He was mainly going over what the offense was in philosophy, and where we are going

Edited by BIG DAWG

Any "New Stadium" info discussed, like if mentioned to recruits, timeline, etc?

How about Vizza vs. the returning QBs? Could Vizza play this year; and has TD had a chance to look at last year's NT game films to see the QBs in action?

Did he say anything about opening against OU or our schedule for next season?

Thanks.

No on the stadium...he didn't talk aboutit that is.

Me personally from how I have heard him talk about Vizza, he seems to be the front runner...He did say he would have the opportunity to compete for the #1 job. BUT the way he talks about this kid really makes me think that he is the guy.

Schedule...that was going to be my next question, but I got scared to ask too many questions...I froze

hey i talked to a athletics guy at the press conference. first home wont be thursday. 5 home games. OU, ARK, SMU, WKU are all on schedule. Wouldnt tell me anymore. No MAC opponents either.

No on the stadium...he didn't talk aboutit that is.

Me personally from how I have heard him talk about Vizza, he seems to be the front runner...He did say he would have the opportunity to compete for the #1 job. BUT the way he talks about this kid really makes me think that he is the guy.

Schedule...that was going to be my next question, but I got scared to ask too many questions...I froze

hey i talked to a athletics guy at the press conference. first home wont be thursday. 5 home games. OU, ARK, SMU, WKU are all on schedule. Wouldnt tell me anymore. No MAC opponents either.

I figured once they put WKU on the schedule they dropped the MAC opponent. They will probably add them to the '09 schedue. I think it was posted somewhere that WKU would be one of our home games...? if thats the case I hope the rivalry carries over from basketball.

I figured once they put WKU on the schedule they dropped the MAC opponent. They will probably add them to the '09 schedue. I think it was posted somewhere that WKU would be one of our home games...? if thats the case I hope the rivalry carries over from basketball.

Why would the game against the MAC opponent be dropped ? We will play five (5) OC games & seven (7) conference games. OU, Arkansas, SMU and WKU = 4 OC games. MAC opponent would make 5.

I asked Coach Dodge a few questions during the Q&A.

1) Everyone seems to be obsessed with metrics these days. How fast? How tall? How big? But you seem to place a premium on intangibles: leadership, attitude, character. Talk a little about what those mean to you.

In response, he basically said that you can't win unless you have character and are willing to play as a team. He mentioned Marcus King playing in a run based offense, but that you'd never hear him complaining about the ball not being thrown his way. He said you don't win unless the team is bigger than the person.

2) You talked at your press conference about how you'd like to see North Texas become "the Metroplex's team." What do we have to do to get there?

In response, he stressed consistency. He said we've won here before, and proved that it can, in fact, be done. If you can win consistently, you can be a fan favorite.

I also got the chance to talk with him a little after the meeting. I was actually at Newman Smith in 96 and 97, so I talked Trojan football with him a little. The thing I noticed the most was that, even though I kept trying to excuse myself because I didn't want to monopolize his time (I was sure he was ready to get home), he just kept asking me questions. When did I graduate? Where do I work? It might all be an act, and he might just be a master of the gladhand. But, if he is, he sure fooled me. With Coach Dickey, I always felt "tolerated." To be "appreciated" is something that's pretty new for me, and for a lot of people around here.

I don't even play for him, but, on the basis of about a 5 minute conversation, I'd run through a wall for him.

I The thing I noticed the most was that, even though I kept trying to excuse myself because I didn't want to monopolize his time (I was sure he was ready to get home), he just kept asking me questions. When did I graduate? Where do I work? It might all be an act, and he might just be a master of the gladhand. But, if he is, he sure fooled me. With Coach Dickey, I always felt "tolerated." To be "appreciated" is something that's pretty new for me, and for a lot of people around here.

This reminds me of a story that I've told before about Hayden Fry, and what a great PR guy he was. I was still in college and was sitting in my car at the stop light on University by where Luby's used to be. While I was waiting for the light to change, I looked over to my right, and who should be sitting in his car next to me, but Hayden Fry. He turned and looked at me and I gave him a friendly wave. I detected a slight look of puzzlement on his face for just a split second, before he broke out in a big smile and waved back as if we had been friends for 20 years or so. His whole facial expression said "well, hello there Bill!" We had never met, and he had no earthly idea who I was, but that didn't matter. He was always working the crowd.

As I drove off, I just shook my head and thought "Hayden, you are one hell of a salesman". BUT that was what North Texas needed at that time in order to get the program moving forward. Because the coach that Hayden replaced (Rod Rust) was the only coach that I can remember at North Texas who had less personality than DD.

illuvius, I think that Coach Dodge was genuinely interested in making a connection with a North Texas alumni/fan. As a teacher/coach/salesman, it's just second nature to him.

Like I've said before. This is our second chance at having a "Hayden Fry-type" coach come here and re-energize our program.

I hope we don't blow it this time like we did with Hayden.