Riley Dodge & Running Back Tre' Newton Were At Ou

WIFE2HOT4U

http://dfwvarsity.star-telegram.com/FootBall2006/

Last season, the Carroll library turned into a circus, as players and families clogged into celebrate Signing Day. That didn't change this morning, as six football players signed: Defensive end Kyle Russo (UNT), linebacker Justin Padron (UNT), offensive lineman Robert Hill (Utah State) and defensive end Bryce Saldi (UNLV). Brothers Arius and Anthony Ford both signed with Georgetown.

"It's not just football that's good here," Russo said. "We had soccer, lacrosse. We have a lot of good athletes."

Hill remembered the experience from last year.

"I remember watching from outside the library," he said. "I never thought I'd be in here signing a year later."

Other news from Carroll -

*New coach Hal Wasson said he is still working on completing his staff.

*Junior quarterback Riley Dodge said he and running back Tre' Newton were at OU last weekend, and plan to go to Junior Day at Texas next. Dodge said he also plans to graduate early.

— Trae Thompson

Dave Campbell's All-Texas Team

Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007

DAVE CAMPBELL’S TEXAS FOOTBALL

POST SEASON ALL-TEXAS TEAM

For the first time in its history, Dave Campbell’s Texas Football has selected an All-Texas High School Football team. This elite group of players was selected by the staff of Texas Football and is intended to represent the 30 players, position-by-position, that had the greatest performances in 2006. As opposed to a list of players that are the best recruiting prospects, this All-Texas team focuses on the best individual effort regardless of the size of their school.

MVP — William Cole, Cedar Hill

Offensive Player of the Year — Giovanni Vizza, SA Alamo Heights

Defensive Player of the Year — Clayton Scott, Alto

ALL-TEXAS OFFENSE

Quarterback — Lee McClendon, Mart

Running back — Bradley Stephens, McAllen Memorial; Antowaine Smith, Paris North Lamar; Foswhitt Whitaker, Pearland; Wide receiver — Evan Walker, Colleyville Heritage; Dez Bryant, Lufkin; Jessey Hodge, Springtown; Tight end — Andre Thomas, Gilmer Union Hill; Linemen — Tray Allen, South Grand Prairie; Kyle Ness, Decatur; Eli Crawford, Groveton; Brady Fletcher, Perryton; Jamie Blatnick, Celina; Utility — Luke Roberts, Comfort; Kicker — Justin Putnam, Round Rock Westwood.

ALL-TEXAS DEFENSE

Linemen — Russell Carter, Houston Westbury; Antonio Johnson, Waco; Dustin McClure, Bangs; Joey Nunez, San Benito; Linebacker —Youri Yenga, Trinity; Tracy Morgan, Clarksville; Alan Dock, Giddings; Defensive backs — Cody Davis, Stephenville; Travis Slaughter, Crawford; Sherman Rosborough, Longview; Chris West, Devine; Punter — Will Middlebrooks, Texarkana Liberty-Eylau.

Things like that can hurt us. When it comes to North Texas it's do I want to play for dad of not. Extra perks like spring ball may lead to more interest from other programs and might lead his else where. An extra year of practice is priceless and big programs know that plus with a couple Texas 5a player of the year awards lets just hope Riley wants to continue in the system and that he and Todd don't get in many fights over the next year.

For those who know – will the new SLC coach run a similar system to Dodge? I think where Riley, and maybe Tre, end up depend on their senior seasons. That is, I think many will be looking at it as a question is it the player or the system?

Wasson will run the same system as Dodge. That was a big reason why he was chosen. SLC kids are taught that system in grade school and, by the time they make it to high school, have every nuance of the system memorized.

That being said, I seriously doubt recruiters will question the player vs. the system for these two recruits. Which schools recruit them will be more dependent on size (at least in Riley's case) than anything else.

Things like that can hurt us. When it comes to North Texas it's do I want to play for dad of not. Extra perks like spring ball may lead to more interest from other programs and might lead his else where. An extra year of practice is priceless and big programs know that plus with a couple Texas 5a player of the year awards lets just hope Riley wants to continue in the system and that he and Todd don't get in many fights over the next year.

I don't think it hurts us or helps us. Most Div 1 top tier QBs graduate early so that they can get into spring ball. Snead did that at UT, and Ryan Mallett has been in Michigan since January.

It gives them that much more time to learn the system.

I think that Chase Daniels at Mizzou will be our best selling point for Riley in that he has shown what can happen when a SLC QB goes into the the same system.