Grade The Recruiting Class

Eagle-96

I know that we won't know how this class ranks for 2 or 3 years but what do you thing of this years class "at this time".

I would give Coach Dodge a B on this recruiting class. He had basically 3-4 weeks to assemble the class and did an amazing job based on the timeframes. We got good numbers at the skill positions and added some speed and athleticism to both the offense and defense. A good sign is that a number of our recruits played in a spread system in high school which will give them a head start. I think Vizza could be a real steal and could end up starting next year in what looks to be a wide open quarterback race. Many others should see playing time at their respective positions next season as I think that we will see fewer players redshirt than in years past. I think the special teams could benefit the most from this class as many of the players have the speed to help out in coverage right away.

I give Coach Dodge and his staff a solid " A " on this class! All the hard work, research, travel time, visits ( with alot of bad weather), and the short amount of time to focus on recruiting has

produced numerious high profile players. All of these players come from winning programs, state

championship runs, and quality coaching. All of the players are good students and will have the

opportunity to earn their degrees! All of these kids are about to embark on the begining of the

Todd Dodge era that will bring success to their careers, education, and to NT athletics!

I look for several of the players to have extensive playing time with the 2007 season!

I tried to pick out my favorites but I discovered that I like all of these players!

Here is a big "Thank You" to Coach Dodge and to the Assistant Coaches! Job well done!

As my old Marine DI would say--Outstanding

Since all we've got to base this on is past recuirting classes I've gotta give TD a solid A for what he was able to do in such a short period of time. Now if he pulls the same class next year I'd rate it lower but based on rivals rating system here's how we've done the past 4 years.

2004 = 5.121 average per player 18 total 3 unrated

2005 = 5.02 24, 4

2006 = 5.0 18, 4

2007 = 5.256 18 all rated by rivals

All and all I'd say we took a step up this past month.

Since all we've got to base this on is past recuirting classes I've gotta give TD a solid A for what he was able to do in such a short period of time. Now if he pulls the same class next year I'd rate it lower but based on rivals rating system here's how we've done the past 4 years.

2004 = 5.121 average per player 18 total 3 unrated

2005 = 5.02 24, 4

2006 = 5.0 18, 4

2007 = 5.256 18 all rated by rivals

All and all I'd say we took a step up this past month.

Wow that's a good comparison. Thanks for looking that info up!

I give this class a solid "A".

I've seen only one other class (since I've followed NT) where the coach had a late start in recruiting. That was Bob Tyler's 1981 class, and it was very weak.

This is a great class. I can't wait to see some of these kids when they report in the summer. And....other than Martinson, we didn't lose anyone. (And I don't blame that kid for wanting to go a school which had baseball).

Let me put it one other way: I don't see a single kid that we signed, that I would consider a "reach." Every one of these kids is worthy, more than worthy of a Division I scholarship. I couldn't say that for some of Dickey's recent classes.

Spring Game: Sunday April 22...........3 p.m.

(It's so nice to have a Spring Game in the Spring. And, it's so nice to have a coach that believes in "non" stealth recruiting.

GMG!

Having highly rated players looks really good on paper and from a national exposure perspective. But, I have a feeling that this class may turn out better than the ratings show.

From everything that I have read and believe, TD probably knows Texas football players better than most of the national experts that rate the players. My guess is that TD was targeting very good, but slightly underrated players, that will fit his system and style of play.

Based on ratings alone this could be a really good group of players for a Sun Belt school. But, this class will achieve beyond the ratings under TD.

There are so many things that I like about this group of recruited players:

• We finally get the local talent that we have been lacking.
  • Most of these players come from successful programs. And, will bring a winning attitude with them.
  • The fact that all the players committed early today, shows me that they are fired up about playing for TD. There did not appear to be any last minute wavering in their minds (even those that forgot the official fax at home).
Kudos to all those involved. What an amazing feat by TD and staff to pull of in less than 30 days. Edited by akriesman

Definitely an A in recruiting based on the time and circumstances that TD inherited. On a national basis this class will be rated very low more based on the reputation of the Belt and NT than the recruits involved. I personally find the rival and scout ratings next to useless in evaluating recruiting. I think that TD has within a very short time moved NT up in the recruiting game. Recruiting in Texas the past few years as been IMO as follows:

1. Tier 1, UT and national powerhouses such as OU, Fla, etc.

2. Tier 2, A&M, Tech, Baylor, and TCU

3. Tier 3, Houston, UTEP, SMU, Tulsa, La Tech, Rice,

4. Tier 4, NT

I think TD has moved NT into the tier 3 category in Texas and back to the top of the Belt in recruiting. On paper this class is obviously the best since the Kennedy, Spencer, Buckles, etc. class that led to four conference championships. Unlike the DD class, I predict that TD will follow up with even better athletes in the future. I look forward to continued improvement and think that NT has a very good shot at dominating Texas recruiting among non-BCS schools.

There are so many things that I like about this group of recruited players:
  • We finally get the local talent that we have been lacking.
  • Most of these players come from successful programs. And, will bring a winning attitude with them.
  • The fact that all the players committed early today, shows me that they are fired up about playing for TD. There did not appear to be any last minute wavering in their minds (even those that forgot the official fax at home).
Kudos to all those involved. What an amazing feat by TD and staff to pull of in less than 30 days.

I totally agree. I wanted to see what would happen during the past week, but the above achievements in such a short time frame are, for lack of a better word, incredible.

Based on the talent level he was able to pull in the time frame he had, and based on the publicity this class/recruiting season has delivered for UNT, I give the staff an A+.

I can't remember seeing this much excitement, and pub from local and statewide media outlets, fans, and prospective players at UNT in...ever. ;)

And, it's so nice to have a coach that believes in "non" stealth recruiting.

The premise of the "stealth recruiting" was to keep larger programs from knowing and coming after our list when they lost a last minute recruit. We lost one recruit because he wanted to play baseball also, but I didn't hear of any of the others being targeted by larger programs after they publicly verbally committed; TD kept them focused on NT. We changed several kids choices after they first were looking elsewhere. Was stealth just a myth or a valid concern for DD?

Edited by NT80

The premise of the "stealth recruiting" was to keep larger programs from knowing and coming after our list when they lost a last minute recruit. We lost one recruit because he wanted to play baseball also, but I didn't hear of any of the others being targeted by larger programs after they publicly verbally committed. We changed several kids choices after they first were looking elsewhere. Was stealth just a myth or a valid concern for DD?

Think TD's idea of "Stealth" is "psst, hey guy you really need to consider North Texas". He did pluck Vizza from Nevada & snatched Hager just as Baylor was offering. The era of "We Are The Mean Green" recruiting is now at North Texas. :devil:

Edited by MeanGreen61