Funny Recruiting Story

UNTLifer

I know the peace of the world doesn't hang in the balance of the answer, but I am curious about the NCAA says regarding a head coach who might want his son to play for him, that is, "recruit" him. Surely there is some sort of . . . exception? allowance? realism? accountability? On the other hand, maybe both of them would have to answer to the mom first!

---I remember a goofy North Texas story regarding Bill Blakely (basketball coach) at UNT during the mid/late 70's. He commented this on the the radio. He was commenting that he would like to sign a certain point guard who was very good and from Dallas ... He also commented the doubted that he would be able to sign him since the SMU coach had offered to even sleep with the recruit's mother and he did not think he could compete with that. ..... It got a good laugh but those on the broadcast all knew that the kid he was talking about was the SMU coach's son. The announcer (Bill Mercer??) then explained the comment and semi-apologized for it while laughing.. Sure enough the kid went to SMU and he was good.. Can't remember his name.

---Yes I know this post is of questionable taste but it appeared on a Dallas radio station that I was listening to . I think it appeared in a post-UNT game interview. Blakely when at UNT won 20 games three consecutive years. North Texas had won more regular season games than any division I university during that period but was never selected to play in the NCAA tournament. Only 24 teams made it in that era.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---I remember a goofy North Texas story regarding Bill Blakely (basketball coach) at UNT during the mid/late 70's. He commented this on the the radio. He was commenting that he would like to sign a certain point guard who was very good and from Dallas ... He also commented the doubted that he would be able to sign him since the SMU coach had offered to even sleep with the recruit's mother and he did not think he could compete with that. ..... It got a good laugh but those on the broadcast all knew that the kid he was talking about was the SMU coach's son. The announcer (Bill Mercer??) then explained the comment and semi-apologized for it while laughing.. Sure enough the kid went to SMU and he was good.. Can't remember his name.

---Yes I know this post is of questionable taste but it appeared on a Dallas radio station that I was listening to . I think it appeared in a post-UNT game interview. Blakely when at UNT won 20 games three consecutive years. North Texas had won more regular season games than any division I university during that period but was never selected to play in the NCAA tournament. Only 24 teams made it in that era.

I remember Blakely very well ...used to write and call prospective players for him when it was legal. My favorite picture of him was standing on the sidelines holding his tie to above his head to indicate the ref chocked. He had great teams while he was there.....remember one PG grabbing an opponent jersey and pulling on it with other hand in fist ready to cold cock him...which he didn't but still got penalty.