Lack Of Baseball Causes Nt To Lose Recruit Jason Martinson

NT80

North Texas loses Martinson

North Texas has apparently lost Birdville wide receiver Jason Martinson from its recruiting class. Martinson told Rivals.com late Wednesday night that he has backed out of his commitment to UNT to play for Texas State.

Martinson based his decision partly on the opportunity he would have to play both football and baseball for the Bobcats.

"I just wanted to keep playing baseball and North Texas didn't have that," Martinson told Rivals.com. "They kept talking like they might start one up at UNT, but I didn't know if that was going to happen."

If UNT could afford to lose a recruit, it would be a wide receiver. UNT has five other high school wide receivers committed to join its 2007 recruiting class, plus Rice transfer Evan Fentriss, who will sit out the upcoming season to fulfill NCAA rules.

The loss of Martinson will open up a scholarship.

Feel free to weight in on this blog. What would you like to see UNT do with the scholarship it was holding for Martinson?

Posted by Brett Vito on February 1, 2007 12:06 AM

"I just wanted to keep playing baseball and North Texas didn't have that," Martinson told Rivals.com. "They kept talking like they might start one up at UNT, but I didn't know if that was going to happen."

Smart kid to figure that out so quickly....Baseball was a major item that never came through here, Best of luck to him...bummer he went down to I-AA

Edited by UNT_playmaker

Probaby a moot point :ph34r: at this time, but I think the Denton Outlaw's owner has been the one to drop a very big ball on our UNT men's varsity baseball stadium plans (which we sorta' needed to field a mens varsity baseball team)? :(

If we build our new football stadium large enough (and don't rush into one that's paints us into an eternal corner by being too small yet whose completion would look good on resumes'); anyway, with such a larger seating capacity stadium we would be able to schedule regional Big 12 schools (hellsbells, others have done it) known to travel thousands of their fans which will (ultimately) provide more gate receipts (enabling NT to increase its athletic budget) to help us not only field a mens varsity baseball team, but one that has a good chance of becoming a viable (winning) program. See how simple all this is?!?!? :lol:

We can probaby field varsity sports teams till the cows come home at UNT, but I think we'd all like to see some of them actually win more games than they lose (loose) most years, right(?).............and taking a glance at recent UNT varsity sports media guides, well......................... ;)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen