Former Nt Coach Eric Wolford To Be Ol Coach At Illinois

NT80

Wildcats' OL coach bolts for Illinois

By Ryan Finley

Arizona Daily Star

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 01.29.2007

Eric Wolford, the last remaining offensive coach from Mike Stoops' original staff, will be named offensive line coach and running game coordinator at Illinois today.

Wolford, 35, confirmed the hire from a Chicago airport Sunday night.

"It's a good situation for me," said Wolford, who had coached the UA offensive line since 2004. Illinois coach "Ron Zook has done a good job of turning around their program. This is the youngest team in the Big Ten. I see a lot of similar things here that I saw at Arizona."

Wolford's job status has been the subject of much speculation since Bill Bedenbaugh was hired as the Wildcats' offensive line coach earlier this month.

But Wolford said his job was never in jeopardy. In fact, Stoops made the move with the understanding Wolford was looking elsewhere.

"My role wasn't going to change (otherwise)," he said. "I left on good terms with Mike Stoops and (athletic director) Jim Livengood. A lot of things were being said and assumed that weren't true. There were some great relationships there."

Wolford is the sixth UA coach or support staffer to leave since late November. Offensive coordinator Mike Canales resigned as co-offensive coordinator in the days following Arizona's Nov. 25 loss to Arizona State. Running backs coach Kasey Dunn and wide receivers coach Charlie Williams took jobs at Baylor and North Carolina in December. Recruiting coordinator Dan Berezowitz and assistant strength coach Mark Hill each took jobs at Minnesota last week.

Wolford said his departure has more to do with going home than leaving Arizona. He grew up in Youngstown, Ohio, and attended Kansas State before coaching at South Florida, Houston and North Texas.

Wolford said he expects great things out of Arizona's offensive line, which struggled early in 2006 before coming together during a three-game winning streak late in the season.

"They're going to be much better next year and, after that, they're going to be dominant," he said.

Wildcats' OL coach bolts for Illinois

By Ryan Finley

Arizona Daily Star

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 01.29.2007

Eric Wolford, the last remaining offensive coach from Mike Stoops' original staff, will be named offensive line coach and running game coordinator at Illinois today.

Wolford, 35, confirmed the hire from a Chicago airport Sunday night.

"It's a good situation for me," said Wolford, who had coached the UA offensive line since 2004. Illinois coach "Ron Zook has done a good job of turning around their program. This is the youngest team in the Big Ten. I see a lot of similar things here that I saw at Arizona."

Wolford's job status has been the subject of much speculation since Bill Bedenbaugh was hired as the Wildcats' offensive line coach earlier this month.

But Wolford said his job was never in jeopardy. In fact, Stoops made the move with the understanding Wolford was looking elsewhere.

"My role wasn't going to change (otherwise)," he said. "I left on good terms with Mike Stoops and (athletic director) Jim Livengood. A lot of things were being said and assumed that weren't true. There were some great relationships there."

Wolford is the sixth UA coach or support staffer to leave since late November. Offensive coordinator Mike Canales resigned as co-offensive coordinator in the days following Arizona's Nov. 25 loss to Arizona State. Running backs coach Kasey Dunn and wide receivers coach Charlie Williams took jobs at Baylor and North Carolina in December. Recruiting coordinator Dan Berezowitz and assistant strength coach Mark Hill each took jobs at Minnesota last week.

Wolford said his departure has more to do with going home than leaving Arizona. He grew up in Youngstown, Ohio, and attended Kansas State before coaching at South Florida, Houston and North Texas.

Wolford said he expects great things out of Arizona's offensive line, which struggled early in 2006 before coming together during a three-game winning streak late in the season.

"They're going to be much better next year and, after that, they're going to be dominant," he said.

Good for him. I wish him the best of luck. He did an awesome job while working here and I wish we had been able to keep him longer.