Utah State Taps Into Texas Recruiting With Dickey

gangrene

By my calculations, DD may be responsible for nearly half of Utah State's current commitments. Rivals reports the USU currently has six commitments and the DMN reports one in addition to those, for a total of seven.

Three of those seven are from DFW:

Carlos Cuevas, OL, 6'2", 315 lbs is from Plano (PSH) ranked #93 on DMN's Area Top 100 and two stars on Rivals

David Disman, OL, 6'2", 247 lbs is from Mesquite (Horn) and two stars on Rivals

Tim Wlodarczyk, LB/TE, 6'1", 200 lbs is from S. Grand Prarie not listed on Rivals

I know of a few other UNT prospects (Colleyville Heritage QB, Casey Russell, and Plano West OL, JJ Johnson) DD is recruiting to USU.

I don't intend this to be a DD bashing thread. I'm honestly surprised at how quickly he was able to attract recruits...to Utah State. The only one in which I question DD's involvement is Cuevas, who committed the same day DD was hired.

I wonder if these were kids DD was recruiting to UNT and he's now convinced them to follow him to USU?

By my calculations, DD may be responsible for nearly half of Utah State's current commitments. Rivals reports the USU currently has six commitments and the DMN reports one in addition to those, for a total of seven.

Three of those seven are from DFW:

Carlos Cuevas, OL, 6'2", 315 lbs is from Plano (PSH) ranked #93 on DMN's Area Top 100 and two stars on Rivals

David Disman, OL, 6'2", 247 lbs is from Mesquite (Horn) and two stars on Rivals

Tim Wlodarczyk, LB/TE, 6'1", 200 lbs is from S. Grand Prarie not listed on Rivals

I know of a few other UNT prospects (Colleyville Heritage QB, Casey Russell, and Plano West OL, JJ Johnson) DD is recruiting to USU.

I don't intend this to be a DD bashing thread. I'm honestly surprised at how quickly he was able to attract recruits...to Utah State. The only one in which I question DD's involvement is Cuevas, who committed the same day DD was hired.

I wonder if these were kids DD was recruiting to UNT and he's now convinced them to follow him to USU?

May they all find good bargains on insulated underwear. :rolleyes:

Did anyone really expect that DD would be recruiting Rhode Island for USU? :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

May they all find good bargains on insulated underwear. :rolleyes:

Did anyone really expect that DD would be recruiting Rhode Island for USU? :)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: No, but these three recruits are probably more than DD and USU combined, have received from DFW in the last several years. I thought it was interesting that, not only is he recruiting DFW, but he's after some of the same players we are and I'd love to hear some of those conversations DD has with recruits considering UNT.

If you didn't find it interesting...fine. People have different opinions...move on.

Good post, gangrene. However, I think you'll find that USU was already recruiting Texas before they hired Dickey. Their head coach is a former Oklahoma State player and assistant coach who grew up in Texas. Secondary coach Shaun Johnson is from Bryan. Their OL coach is from Oklahoma and also played as Oklahoma State.

So, USU had coaches familiar with the Texas prep scene for years. Dickey helps, of course. But, USU had already planted the seeds in Texas a couple of seasons ago. They've had some success here, and Dickey will help them continue it.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

DD's first attempt at the DFW top 100. This post is heavily loaded with sarcasm - it may not process well with some board members.

It's far from Dickey's first attempt at any 100 list - in Dallas, around Texas, or elsewhere:

Dallas Morning News State Top 100 signees

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Brandon Kennedy

Randy Gardner

Taylor Casey

Dallas Morning News Area Top 100 signees

Colt Mahan

Daniel Meager

Jason May

Kevin Howard

Nick Zuniga

Fort Worth Star Telegram Area Top 75

Colt Mahan

Nick Zuniga

Fort Worth Star Telegram State Top 100

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Houston Chronicle State Top 100

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Randy Gardner

Lubbock Avalanche Journal State Top 100

Jamario Thomas

Waco Herald Tribune State Top 100

Jonas Buckles

Austin American Statesman Fab 55

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Oklahoma Fab 50

Jeremy Brown

Patrick Cobbs

Topeka Capital Journal State Top 11

Adam Venegas

Florida Times Union Super 24

Shawn Early

NJCAA All-American

Michael Pruitt

This is information is easily gleaned from the past three rosters. I have neither the time nor inclination to look up the stuff from 1998 to 2001 - e.i., the recruits who built the core of the first bowl teams - but I'm sure it's more of the same. Nearly everyone on the rosters of all of Dickey's squads were, at minimum, All-District or All-State; many were the MVPs or Players of the Year for their district or county. There were tons of those that developed into All-SBC player under Dickey and his staff - even though they weren't on anybody's Top 100 list: Craig Jones, Cody Spencer, Markeith Knowlton, Brad Kadlubar, Andy Blout, Jamel Branch, Nick Bazaldua, Kevin Galbraith, Brad Kassell, Don McGee, Jeff Muenchow, etc., etc., etc.

Many of you out there have lost your minds simply because we've had two bad years. Darrell Dickey and his staff recruited well throughout Texas, picking up excellent players from all over - Houston area, DFW , San Antonio/Austin area, West Texas, as well as players from Florida, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma...and Idaho. Feeling bad about the last two years is understandable. But, for you to keep lying about Darrell Dickey and his recruiting is just pathetic.

I suggested this during the coaching search, and will say it again - many of you honestly need to step away from the message board for a couple of weeks and regain your perspective. Your blind hatred of a man who gave us the best four season run in the history of the school is absurd at best, and childish at worst. Grow up and be thankful you did have bowl games to go to, championships to celebrate, and all-conference players to cheer for years. Seriously.

It's far from Dickey's first attempt at any 100 list - in Dallas, around Texas, or elsewhere:

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Brandon Kennedy

Randy Gardner

Taylor Casey

Colt Mahan

Daniel Meager

Jason May

Kevin Howard

Nick Zuniga

Colt Mahan

Nick Zuniga

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Randy Gardner

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Oklahoma Fab 50

Jeremy Brown

Patrick Cobbs

Adam Venegas

Shawn Early

NJCAA All-American

Michael Pruitt

This is information is easily gleaned from the past three rosters. I have neither the time nor inclination to look up the stuff from 1998 to 2001 - e.i., the recruits who built the core of the first bowl teams - but I'm sure it's more of the same. Nearly everyone on the rosters of all of Dickey's squads were, at minimum, All-District or All-State; many were the MVPs or Players of the Year for their district or county. There were tons of those that developed into All-SBC player under Dickey and his staff - even though they weren't on anybody's Top 100 list: Craig Jones, Cody Spencer, Markeith Knowlton, Brad Kadlubar, Andy Blout, Jamel Branch, Nick Bazaldua, Kevin Galbraith, Brad Kassell, Don McGee, Jeff Muenchow, etc., etc., etc.

Many of you out there have lost your minds simply because we've had two bad years. Darrell Dickey and his staff recruited well throughout Texas, picking up excellent players from all over - Houston area, DFW , San Antonio/Austin area, West Texas, as well as players from Florida, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma...and Idaho. Feeling bad about the last two years is understandable. But, for you to keep lying about Darrell Dickey and his recruiting is just pathetic.

I suggested this during the coaching search, and will say it again - many of you honestly need to step away from the message board for a couple of weeks and regain your perspective. Your blind hatred of a man who gave us the best four season run in the history of the school is absurd at best, and childish at worst. Grow up and be thankful you did have bowl games to go to, championships to celebrate, and all-conference players to cheer for years. Seriously.

I completely agree with you and have thought about all of this since the day he got booted out of here.

DD made some good decisions on players many of his staff recruited to play here. It's Texas, and Oklahoma etc, how could you not make some finds here? In fact, people have been doing it here for years, over 80 years at North Texas prior to him coming here. I was amazed at some of his players and how they were able to perform when they got here, just like I was amazed at others such as Brian Waters, Kim Phillips, Eric Peagram, Bron Beal, Scott Davis etc etc etc....all brought here by coaches who had much less to bring them here with, and with a much better attitude about it when they did. None of that changes the fact that he refused to make Ramone get off his ass to earn his pay and recruit the DISD the past several years, and none of it changes the fact that DD himself was a disgruntled employee that finished his time here upset at the fact that he didn't get that call to a BCS program after having some success. For you DD apologist who are upset he got the boot, don't be mad anyone here on this board, be mad at Darrell Dickey.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Brandon Kennedy

Randy Gardner

Taylor Casey

Colt Mahan

Daniel Meager

Jason May

Kevin Howard

Nick Zuniga

Colt Mahan

Nick Zuniga

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Randy Gardner

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Oklahoma Fab 50

Jeremy Brown

Patrick Cobbs

Adam Venegas

Shawn Early

NJCAA All-American

Michael Pruitt

How is the weather in Utah Ms. Dickey?

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Brandon Kennedy

Randy Gardner

Taylor Casey

Colt Mahan

Daniel Meager

Jason May

Kevin Howard

Nick Zuniga

Colt Mahan

Nick Zuniga

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Randy Gardner

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Oklahoma Fab 50

Jeremy Brown

Patrick Cobbs

Adam Venegas

Shawn Early

NJCAA All-American

Michael Pruitt

it doesn't impress me much listing the same few guys 8 different times from seperate list. You can't tout just Jonas Buckles and Jamario Thomas to make you a good recruiter. I never saw a complete group of guys from Dickey as I am seeing from Dodge.

Anywho... I disagree... i didn't think he could recruit well. He did get all-districts and all-areas with the occasional "star"... we need to get something alittle more than that... kinda like what Dodge is pulling in. something more complete.

Just my opinion.

Ok Lonnie, I'll bite.

TD has already pulled in as many state top 100 players(King, Scoggins, Padron, Hager, Martinson) in one recruiting season that isn't even done yet than Dickey did on your entire list. He has also signed 8 All-State players(Johnson, Walker, Padron, Mosely, Dibrell, Fentriss, Roberson, Martinson,) so far. Refresh my memory, how many all-state players did Dickey sign in 9 years?

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Brandon Kennedy

Randy Gardner

Taylor Casey

Colt Mahan

Daniel Meager

Jason May

Kevin Howard

Nick Zuniga

Colt Mahan

Nick Zuniga

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Randy Gardner

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Jamario Thomas

Jonas Buckles

Oklahoma Fab 50

Jeremy Brown

Patrick Cobbs

Adam Venegas

Shawn Early

NJCAA All-American

Michael Pruitt

Your point is? Out of nine years recruiting you think this list demonstrates that DD and staff were good recruiters. Interesting 4 of the 5 state 100 recruits you listed were in the one year that DD staff did a great job recruiting that turned into 4 conference championships. To add to your list Bense was a juco all American, Gilmore, Bishop, Ridgeway (I think was his name state 100 out of Houston that never played) and Hall were on state 100 lists. As far as finding players that were not highly sought that turned out to be great players that happens at every university. NT for example had a lot competing as 1aa that could have played for anyone; Pegrim, Maher, S. Davis, Camper, Goss, etc. I think your list if anything demonstrates how overall ineffective DD's recruiting has been except for the one class.

Ok Lonnie, I'll bite.

TD has already pulled in as many state top 100 players(King, Scoggins, Padron, Hager, Martinson) in one recruiting season that isn't even done yet than Dickey did on your entire list. He has also signed 8 All-State players(Johnson, Walker, Padron, Mosely, Dibrell, Fentriss, Roberson, Martinson,) so far. Refresh my memory, how many all-state players did Dickey sign in 9 years?

You just can't say it any better than this!

Ok Lonnie, I'll bite.

Yes, Even a broken clock is right twice a day and Dickey did find a good one here and there. But come on, lets wait to rank this class AFTER it is official, and AFTER we've seen that they produce on the field. It is okay to get excited about a recruiting class as they are coming in, but to compare the unproven to the proven is absurd. Everytime this year we get excited about recruits.

Yes TD is an UPGRADE and god knows UNT deserved to have an upgrade, but let's see what's what after next season. It is safe to say that this is Todd Dodges best recruiting class at UNT ever. Don't say too much beyond that until we see how these players PLAY.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Yes, Even a broken clock is right twice a day and Dickey did find a good one here and there. But come on, lets wait to rank this class AFTER it is official, and AFTER we've seen that they produce on the field. It is okay to get excited about a recruiting class as they are coming in, but to compare the unproven to the proven is absurd. Everytime this year we get excited about recruits.

Yes TD is an UPGRADE and god knows UNT deserved to have an upgrade, but let's see what's what after next season. It is safe to say that this is Todd Dodges best recruiting class at UNT ever. Don't say too much beyond that until we see how these players PLAY.

I think there might be a place for you at Utah State!

The point was not how they turn out, diamonds in the rough and what not. This point was ranked players coming in. Feb. 7 TD will ink as many ranked recruits as DD did in 9 years.