Vizza Is Official

MeanGreen61

I have heard that the Hayden Fry years was by far its hayday for NT football. I heard that the stadium would get full and we played at Texas Stadium a few times and about 50K seats got sold. Not sure if it was all NT but atleast that many showed up. Not sure about the Mitch Maher days but I hear Hayden Fry was truly the one to give NT football its best years. Maybe someone can confirm what I said. Lets just hope that TD can ATLEAST replicate what Fry did and exceed that. Go Mean Green!!!!!

Don't beleive everything that you hear. NT lost an invite to the Liberty Bowl because of pathetic attendance at a game bowl officials attended. The highest attendance at a Texas Stadium game during the Fry era was 27,183 in '74 vs SMU. The highest overall attendance was in '77 at 19,599. Every other year, except '78, was under 12,000.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Don't beleive everything that you hear. NT lost an invite to the Liberty Bowl because of pathetic attendance at a game bowl officials attended. The highest attendance at a Texas Stadium game during the Fry era was 27,183 in '74 vs SMU. The highest overall attendance was in '77 at 19,599. Every other year, except '78, was under 12,000.

So what is considered they hay day years if there are any? I mean have we ever been somewhat big time or on our way?

So what is considered the hay day years if there are any? I mean have we ever been somewhat big time or on our way?

"Hay day" in what terms? attendance, bowls, big wins, conference titles? Fry tried to get us into the SWC, and I heard he was only a couple (private school) votes short of doing it. Fry beat Tennessee, Okla State, Houston, and several other name programs back then. He had 10,000 NT fans follow him in 1976 to Austin for our first game vs UT, lost 17-14.

Also the A&M game at Texas Stadium in '97, our third year to return back to 1-A, official announced crowd was in the 40 plus thousand range, mostly A&M fans, of course. But when there's interest, there's interest regardless of the team played. Prior to the home baylor game setting the record in '00, Fouts largest attendance was the homecoming game against SFA in '88, 22,500 plus. NT was ranked #1 nationally in 1-AA at the time.

Rick