Vizza Is Official

MeanGreen61

January 25, 2007

Vizza is official

It took a while, but I finally got San Antonio Alamo Heights quarterback Giovanni Vizza on the phone this afternoon.

As expected, he confirmed that he has backed off his commitment to Nevada and will sign with North Texas.

Rice, Army and Air Force also offer Vizza a scholarship.

Getting a commitment from Vizza is a huge win for UNT in recruiting and fills a void in the Mean Green's class that is shaping up to be a solid one.

Vizza said he hopes to compete for the starting job right away this fall. Feel free to weight in on this blog with your thoughts. Does Vizza have a shot to start as a freshman?

For more on Vizza, be sure to check out tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle or our Web site www.dentonrc.com late tonight. If you need a UNT football fix before then, check out Vizza's Rivals.com page. The following is the link:

http://www.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=55402

No doubt this is shaping up to be a great recruiting class. And Vizza will get a chance to start. No Doubt that Dodge will start the best man for throwing the ball around. Also, If Dodge wonders about is Junior and Senior talent he will most certaintly give young talent the nod. Hayden Fry (can I bring him up?) did the same thing his first year.

This class is turning out to be scary good. I'm so ready...

Not to make expectations too high for Coach Dodge, but how good might recruiting be next year with a complete staff in place and a full year to recruit? And how good might it be combined with a successful first season, say with seven or eight wins?

And does this impact the possible recruiting of Riley Dodge?

I think Riley will be a special situation and Coach Dodge will let him make the choice. I am sure if Vizza starts this year and plays well and looks like he will start the next 4 years this situation will get a little hairy as Riley will have to sit for 3 years and only have 2 years of eligability left, but if say WW or Phillips gets the nod then he would only have to sit for a year maybe 2 and have 3-4 years of eligability left. As it stands now Riley has every intention of coming here and playing for his dad.

Not to make expectations too high for Coach Dodge, but how good might recruiting be next year with a complete staff in place and a full year to recruit? And how good might it be combined with a successful first season, say with seven or eight wins?

And does this impact the possible recruiting of Riley Dodge?

I honestly don't think Riley would want to be at UNT anyway. I would think that he would want to keep coaching and his dad separate and so would his father.

I'm glad to see his size. I kind of put down ASU’s QB commit the other day in another post on this message board. ASU's has a commit from Chris Lambeth who is 6' , 194lbs with 4.8 speed. He had two stars on Rivals but his size and speed was a concern. Glad to see that you don’t have to be 6’ 4” and 220lbs and run a 4.6 to be good.

I think Riley will be a special situation and Coach Dodge will let him make the choice. I am sure if Vizza starts this year and plays well and looks like he will start the next 4 years this situation will get a little hairy as Riley will have to sit for 3 years and only have 2 years of eligability left, but if say WW or Phillips gets the nod then he would only have to sit for a year maybe 2 and have 3-4 years of eligability left. As it stands now Riley has every intention of coming here and playing for his dad.

Where's the love for our 4 headed QB: Meager, Tune, Wilson & Phillips?

Where's the love for our 4 headed QB: Meager, Tune, Wilson & Phillips?

People are saying move Meager to WR because of his injury problem. Move Woody to another position, DB, RB or WR because of his speed. Tune was recruited as a Defensive Back and that might be the best position for him. Phillips is a drop back passer, that's it.

Meager to WR and Tune to DB? I have to respectfully disagree. Both of those guys can play QB, and with some real coaching/teaching they are going to be great. Mr. Vizza will have his work cut out for him this fall in trying to move ahead of those two.

BTW, my wife wants to know if "Don Dodge" made Giovanni Vizza an offer he couldn't refuse.

Meager to WR and Tune to DB? I have to respectfully disagree. Both of those guys can play QB, and with some real coaching/teaching they are going to be great. Mr. Vizza will have his work cut out for him this fall in trying to move ahead of those two.

BTW, my wife wants to know if "Don Dodge" made Giovanni Vizza an offer he couldn't refuse.

It won't surprise me that we start seeing Robert DiNiro and Al Pacino (as well as Marlon Brando's ghost) at Fouts Field this Fall, it really won't. :rolleyes:

Aren't we all now having fun for a change with a a brighter "higher profile" future on our horizon as the main reason for all this fun? The timing of all this could not have been any better.

The next big story at UNT in the Mean Green football campaign of Fall 2007 is when we warp speed our per home game attendance figures dramatically upward in record-shattering numbers. This will be the icing on a cake that has long needed such icing as that.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It won't surprise me that we start seeing Robert DiNiro and Al Pacino (as well as Marlon Brando's ghost) at Fouts Field this Fall, it really won't. :rolleyes:

Aren't we all now having fun for a change with a a brighter "higher profile" future on our horizon as the main reason for all this fun? The timing of all this could not have been any better.

The next big story at UNT in the Mean Green football campaign of Fall 2007 is when we warp speed our per home game attendance figures dramatically upward in record-shattering numbers. This will be the icing on a cake that has long needed such icing as that.

For what it's worth regarding attendance, I've heard from one person that we've already sold more tickets already for this upcoming season than ever before in UNT's history.

For what it's worth regarding attendance, I've heard from one person that we've already sold more tickets already for this upcoming season than ever before in UNT's history.

MOOT SPEAKS!!! I'm really curious to see first game attendance numbers. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Baylor type numbers with both end zones mostly full.

What were some of our best seasons re: overall ticket sales (not just single games)? Maybe some of our elder Mean Greeners can recall who was playing those years?

When Mitch was QB, were there lots of people watching?

How were the Hayden Fry years?

What were some of our best seasons re: overall ticket sales (not just single games)? Maybe some of our elder Mean Greeners can recall who was playing those years?

When Mitch was QB, were there lots of people watching?

How were the Hayden Fry years?

I have heard that the Hayden Fry years was by far its hayday for NT football. I heard that the stadium would get full and we played at Texas Stadium a few times and about 50K seats got sold. Not sure if it was all NT but atleast that many showed up. Not sure about the Mitch Maher days but I hear Hayden Fry was truly the one to give NT football its best years. Maybe someone can confirm what I said. Lets just hope that TD can ATLEAST replicate what Fry did and exceed that. Go Mean Green!!!!!