Womens Basketball

UNTBill

My niece Leslie Humpfries plays Bball for Mckinney High. She has been a starter on varsity

since her freshman year. I believe she is #3 in the State for 3 pointers. She has a meeting

with recruiters from Hardin Simmons after the season. She has also received interest from A&M

and OK St. The funny thing is she really wants to go to UNT. She even filled out the on-line

athletics application with a brief resume. For the past 3 years she has had numerous write ups

in local papers. No one from UNT has contacted her. Perhaps Coach Slinker has all the players

she needs or is just too lazy to drive to Mckinney. I just don't get it.

You can google----Leslie Humpfries McKinney Basketball---- to see what I mean

Now wait a minute, you can't say that. We have to wait till the end of the season and evaluate the situation before we can form any kind of opinion on a coach here at UNT, 18 years of mediocrity or no.

no thats stupid shes been here 18 years and has virtually nothing to show for it.. i'd understand if she has only been here for like 5 or 6 years and her teams keep improving, or if she has shown signs of being a good recruiter that has just starting to tap in to the upper rated players.. If she had a winning record say 13-6 with some impressive road wins, I would say wait til the end of the season to evaluate what she is doing and where she is headed with the program, but right now she sucks

no thats stupid shes been here 18 years and has virtually nothing to show for it.. i'd understand if she has only been here for like 5 or 6 years and her teams keep improving, or if she has shown signs of being a good recruiter that has just starting to tap in to the upper rated players.. If she had a winning record say 13-6 with some impressive road wins, I would say wait til the end of the season to evaluate what she is doing and where she is headed with the program, but right now she sucks

Please JJ has not improved no matter what you think. He is also 10-6 since DII teams and below do nothing for a D1 team hoping to gain a post season berth.

Nice try. Slinker needs to go and if JJ loses 1st Round at the Belt tourney he needs to be shown the door also.

My niece Leslie Humpfries plays Bball for Mckinney High. She has been a starter on varsity

since her freshman year. I believe she is #3 in the State for 3 pointers. She has a meeting

with recruiters from Hardin Simmons after the season. She has also received interest from A&M

and OK St. The funny thing is she really wants to go to UNT. She even filled out the on-line

athletics application with a brief resume. For the past 3 years she has had numerous write ups

in local papers. No one from UNT has contacted her. Perhaps Coach Slinker has all the players

she needs or is just too lazy to drive to Mckinney. I just don't get it.

You can google----Leslie Humpfries McKinney Basketball---- to see what I mean

I don't think that Slinker has any ships available. She only has one senior player and has signed one early recruit.

Now wait a minute, you can't say that. We have to wait till the end of the season and evaluate the situation before we can form any kind of opinion on a coach here at UNT, 18 years of mediocrity or no.

Sarcasm detector going off loud :lol: I think the Slinker/JJ situations are a bit different. JJ has set/achieved numerous stats/goals that haven't been achieved by any UNT men's b-ball coach since the 1970's. For example, our home win record. And besides you can say whatever you want (i.e. "you can't say that"), there just may be some who will disagree.

Sarcasm detector going off loud :lol: I think the Slinker/JJ situations are a bit different. JJ has set/achieved numerous stats/goals that haven't been achieved by any UNT men's b-ball coach since the 1970's. For example, our home win record. And besides you can say whatever you want (i.e. "you can't say that"), there just may be some who will disagree.

What are these goals that JJ has reached? The only one I can remember was the big ultimatum from RV last season that JJ needed to be .500. Otherwise, he has a losing record total and hasn't won a conference tournament game since his first season. So in that sense, the program has actually regressed since the conference tournament is the only thing that matters in the Sun Belt. BTW, the team made the NCAA tournament in 1988. JJ hasn't even come close to sniffing the conference tournament final, so I can't really understand where you got your argument and what you have to substantiate it.

What are these goals that JJ has reached? The only one I can remember was the big ultimatum from RV last season that JJ needed to be .500. Otherwise, he has a losing record total and hasn't won a conference tournament game since his first season. So in that sense, the program has actually regressed since the conference tournament is the only thing that matters in the Sun Belt. BTW, the team made the NCAA tournament in 1988. JJ hasn't even come close to sniffing the conference tournament final, so I can't really understand where you got your argument and what you have to substantiate it.

From what I understand, he took over a program that could best described as pathetic. Granted we haven't been to the tourny but other things have been accomplished. Some the things I can think of off the top of my head are some the stats I have read, and I may be off a bit b/c I don't keep with them: best starting record since the 1970's, best home record since the 1970's, on track to quickest 100 wins (not sure on this one). Moreover, he is getting quality players to transfer over (Wooden, Davis, Bell, etc.), two of which are sitting out a year. From what I've read on gmg, the athletic department hasn't exactly put quality support behind basketball until only recently. It seems that he is turning the ship around despite this.

Look, I am not a hard nosed supporter of JJ (or any of our coaches for that matter - I want production!), though I like him as person and think that he is a decent coach. He may or may not be our man to take the team where obviously you and I want it to go. I do believe strongly that it is way to early to be calling for his head in the middle of the season with a 13-6 record. Maybe I am naive, but I will not let predictions of a negative future ruin my fun for the season. There will be plenty of time to discuss JJ's future once we have a clearer picture of where the team is headed. Ya, if we start losing out the rest of season (and as it stands we've only lost more than 1 in a row 1 time), maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon, as I am sure RV would too. If we play hard the rest of the season, do OK in conference and the SBC tourney (or even go to the NCAA/NIT tourny), I still feel we have the best shot of winning next season by giving him 1 more year. I think that if he cannot win with the arsenal of current players and transfers (including those sitting out), then he probably won't be able do it in future seasons.

Edited by chrisfisher

From what I understand, he took over a program that could best described as pathetic. Granted we haven't been to the tourny but other things have been accomplished. Some the things I can think of off the top of my head are some the stats I have read, and I may be off a bit b/c I don't keep with them: best starting record since the 1970's, best home record since the 1970's, on track to quickest 100 wins (not sure on this one). Moreover, he is getting quality players to transfer over (Wooden, Davis, Bell, etc.), two of which are sitting out a year. From what I've read on gmg, the athletic department hasn't exactly put quality support behind basketball until only recently. It seems that he is turning the ship around despite this.

Look, I am not a hard nosed supporter of JJ (or any of our coaches for that matter - I want production!), though I like him as person and think that he is a decent coach. He may or may not be our man to take the team where obviously you and I want it to go. I do believe strongly that it is way to early to be calling for his head in the middle of the season with a 13-6 record. Maybe I am naive, but I will not let predictions of a negative future ruin my fun for the season. There will be plenty of time to discuss JJ's future once we have a clearer picture of where the team is headed. Ya, if we start losing out the rest of season (and as it stands we've only lost more than 1 in a row 1 time), maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon, as I am sure RV would too. If we play hard the rest of the season, do OK in conference and the SBC tourney (or even go to the NCAA/NIT tourny), I still feel we have the best shot of winning next season by giving him 1 more year. I think that if he cannot win with the arsenal of current players and transfers (including those sitting out), then he probably won't be able do it in future seasons.

What kind of stats are these? He has accomplished nothing. Every year we hear about the best record to begin the season in so many years. That is nice, but a good number of those wins are against non D1 schools. In the Sun Belt, you have to win conference games and most importantly the conference tournament. I don't think you understand this. The good record to start is fun and all, but it means nothing. As you have pointed out, you know basically nothing about college basketball. That is fine, I'm glad you are a new fan and are excited about the team. Just don't think that since you have seen a few basketball games and looked at a few stats that are made to look favorable that something is being accomplished. Every year I've seen the level of talent rise, but the results are the same. Sadly, after a few years you will be in the same position that many of us are in now. Then you will understand.

I don't think that Slinker has any ships available. She only has one senior player and has signed one early recruit.

That may be right grandgreen but dont you think that if she can play that Slinker would do whatever she can to try to get her to UNT? I mean I am no college recruiting guru but I know if a player can help you out then you do whatever it takes to get her on board...ESPECIALLY if she WANTS to come to UNT....I think thats pretty flattering if a nice player says that they want to come to UNT. Maybe its just me.

What kind of stats are these? He has accomplished nothing. Every year we hear about the best record to begin the season in so many years. That is nice, but a good number of those wins are against non D1 schools. In the Sun Belt, you have to win conference games and most importantly the conference tournament. I don't think you understand this. The good record to start is fun and all, but it means nothing. As you have pointed out, you know basically nothing about college basketball. That is fine, I'm glad you are a new fan and are excited about the team. Just don't think that since you have seen a few basketball games and looked at a few stats that are made to look favorable that something is being accomplished. Every year I've seen the level of talent rise, but the results are the same. Sadly, after a few years you will be in the same position that many of us are in now. Then you will understand.

I do/have understand/understood your position. However, you may or may not be right about this season, despite your steadfast confidence in predicting the future. I hope your not, but time will tell. NT03 is right, we've taken over this women's b-ball thread.. sorry.

Edited by chrisfisher

That may be right grandgreen but dont you think that if she can play that Slinker would do whatever she can to try to get her to UNT? I mean I am no college recruiting guru but I know if a player can help you out then you do whatever it takes to get her on board...ESPECIALLY if she WANTS to come to UNT....I think thats pretty flattering if a nice player says that they want to come to UNT. Maybe its just me.

The Belt is a very good WBB conference. I imagine the subject player is a very good high school player, but she is a relatively short guard and is apparently not being recruited by any major programs. I think you answered your own question, if Slinker thought she could help them out they would have contacted her.

I do/have understand/understood your position. However, you may or may not be right about this season, despite your steadfast confidence in predicting the future. I hope your not, but time will tell. NT03 is right, we've taken over this women's b-ball thread.. sorry.

The future??? All you have talked about what JJ has accomplished and the goals he is reaching. I just pointed out that he has accomplished nothing since he arrived here and the program has been in neutral since his first season. I for one am not pleased with seeing no progression in 6 years. That may be fine with you since you are having fun at the games watching us lose to or barely beat bad teams, or it may take 6 years of you watching the same thing every season to finally understand. I certainly hope that is not what it will take.