Unt Lands Wr Transfer From Rice

Harry

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...21.1ef355e.html

Former Rice receiver transfers to UNT

Fentriss played for Dodge at Southlake Carroll

<H5 class=vitstorydate>03:58 PM CST on Saturday, January 20, 2007</H5>

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

Once Evan Fentriss had a chance to consider his options after leaving Rice a few weeks ago, there really was only one option that appealed to the former Southlake Carroll wide receiver when it came to continuing his football career.

Fentriss wanted to play for his former high school coach and new North Texas head coach Todd Dodge. Fentriss, 6-1, 185, accepted a scholarship offer from the Mean Green early Saturday.

He will sit out the 2007 season at UNT but will have three years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2008.

"At first I was really open after leaving Rice, but I quickly realized I couldn't pass up playing for coach Dodge again," Fentriss said. "I fit really well into his system. He knows how to spread the ball around."

Fentriss caught four passes for 65 yards in four games at Rice last season. Fentriss battled a hip injury and eventually decided to look for a new start at another school.

"It just wasn't a good fit for me at Rice," Fentriss said. "I needed to try to find somewhere else to play."

Fentriss, who has completely recovered from his hip injury, caught 47 passes for 953 yards and 13 touchdowns as a senior at Carroll. Rice and SMU offered Fentriss a scholarship while Baylor also showed interest.

Fentriss believes playing in Dodge's system will help him fulfill his potential on the college level.

"I fit well into coach Dodge's system," Fentriss said. "He knows how to spread the ball around to a lot of different players. Having played in his offense before will help me."

The addition of Fentriss gave UNT a jumpstart on a critical recruiting weekend. UNT is hosting more than a dozen prospects in an effort to add to the four commitments it has received from high school seniors.

Three of the four high school players who have committed to UNT so far are wide receivers.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

North Texas commitments

The following is a list of players who have orally committed to play for North Texas

Pos. Player School

WR Sam Dibrell S.A. Alamo Heights

WR Breece Johnson Colleyville Heritage

LB Justin Padron Southlake Carroll

WR Evan Walker Colleyville Heritage

Transfers

WR Evan Fentriss Rice*

* Note -- will be eligible beginning in the 2008 season

Wooooo Hoooooo!!!!!! Now let's get a QB to spread that ball around --- Hummmmmm wait, in 2008, Riley will be a Freshman, somewhere.... ;)

Makes me salavate just thinking of the possibility. :thumbsup:

I'm going to feel better when we actually get the quarterback that will be spreading the ball around to all of the receivers we have coming in.

I really think that we already have some QBs who can play Dodge's system. I don't think the Buicks's offense was good for developing QBs and using the talent they had. The passing plays were almost always down the field in 3rd and long situations...when odds go way down for a completion. I think we will be suprised how well our existing QBs play under Dodge's offense, in which short passes are utilized so much more.

I'm excited to see what Woody can do in a spread offense, both running and passing. Speed option of Jamario and Woody in open space, anybody?

Definitely. I hope Woody pans out for the starting QB role. In fact, I predict it (though I don't know anything about Tune). If TD watches the SMU game, I think he will give Wilson a hard look. Woody is an excellent, extremely fast, and very accurate QB that got caught up in a terrible DK8MITBD offensive system, and ended up trying to force passes to make up for the shitty play calling and lack of scoring.

Edited by chrisfisher

Definitely. I hope Woody pans out for the starting QB role. In fact, I predict it (though I don't know anything about Tune). If TD watches the SMU game, I think he will give Wilson a hard look. Woody is an excellent, extremely fast, and very accurate QB that got caught up in a terrible DK8MITBD offensive system, and ended up trying to force passes to make up for the shitty play calling and lack of scoring.

If Coach Dodge watches any other game, he'll move Woody to DB, WR or RB. One game does not a college QB make.

I hope Todge (thanks Zeke) throws open all the starting positions and lets Spring & Fall practice decide who plays and who doesn't.

I really think that we already have some QBs who can play Dodge's system. I don't think the Buicks's offense was good for developing QBs and using the talent they had. The passing plays were almost always down the field in 3rd and long situations...when odds go way down for a completion. I think we will be suprised how well our existing QBs play under Dodge's offense, in which short passes are utilized so much more.

I totally agree with you on this one. NOBODY could have made an impact with the excuse for coaching and playcalling we've had in recent years. I can't recall a handful of times that any QB of ours had time to sit the pocket and make a good throw. They were hurried, chased out of the pocket, or sacked what seemed like every pass play(which only ended up being 3 plays per game). I guarantee that if Big 12 offensive player of the year Zac Taylor had come to UNT instead of Nebraska, with the coaches and system we had, would not have been able to win even the Sunbelt player of the year.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Assuming the entire recruiting class red-shirts, we'll have a very good WR corp to sling the ball around to. :)

I don't see how he'll be able to redshirt the entire class of receivers. Coach Dodge has stated in an interview that he often uses four receivers and no tight end. Now it's possible that some of our tight ends might be fast enough with good hands to fill a slot at times but that's an unknown for now. Our current squad of wide receivers consists of two who have started (Jackson and assuming that Muzzy got the redshirt), one who has lettered and has advanced very well from a walkon (Fitzgerald), and three (Stickler, Stubblefield, Smith) who have played very sparingly if at all. You couldn't even be two-deep at receivers without using a couple of tight ends. It seems to me that he's going to have to play some freshmen at receiver, at the very least.

And, to Deep and others that have expressed concern over our lack of linemen, we may have to wait until next year. The vast majority of the good linemen had commited before Dodge was named head coach. There are still a very few quality offensive linemen out there and virtually no defensive tackles. There are some decent defensive ends still on the board; if you like them small and speedy, that is.

Fentriss, 6-1, 185, accepted a scholarship offer from the Mean Green early Saturday.

He will sit out the 2007 season at UNT but will have three years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2008.

* Note -- will be eligible beginning in the 2008 season

Transfer Question: Does this scholarship apply against our 2007 allotment, even though he is sitting out and not eligible, or 2008 numbers? If he is on ship during a sit-out year then 3 years of eligibility, plus one or two past ship years, that could be 6 scholarship years in college, or more if he was to transfer again. Is scholarship years unlimited; I know playing years are not?

Transfer Question: Does this scholarship apply against our 2007 allotment, even though he is sitting out and not eligible, or 2008 numbers? If he is on ship during a sit-out year then 3 years of eligibility, plus one or two past ship years, that could be 6 scholarship years in college, or more if he was to transfer again. Is scholarship years unlimited; I know playing years are not?

Unless I'm mistaken, every year he is receiving a football scholarship, he counts against our allotment.

We need a GOOD QB to go with these talented receivers....

We do not currently have one worth mentioning.

How could you possibly know that when not one of them has been coached by TD or played in his system with that many high caliber receivers?

I guess with your perception, we might as well get J-Mo and Evan's replacement too since neither of them played great all year either. Get real man.

And, to Deep and others that have expressed concern over our lack of linemen, we may have to wait until next year.

Here's what we have returning

OL

Josh Alexander Sr.

Tyler Bailey Soph

Ajani Banks Soph.

Jeremy Brown Sr

Brian Carlson Sr.

Jack Crumes Soph

Kelvin Drake Soph.

Chris Eidd Soph.

Nick Foster Soph

Brian Glass Soph

Matthew Menard Soph

Robert Peachey Soph.

Chad Rose Jr.

Adam Venegas Sr.

DL

Blake Burrus Sr.

Jeremiah Chapman Sr.

Kail Krider Soph.

Joseph Miller Jr.

Sam Owusu Hemeng Soph.

Chase Pistole Sr.

Willie Ransom Sr.

Ty Rexrode Jr.

Kendrick Ridge Soph.

Draylen Ross Soph

Esteban Santiago Soph

Montey Stevenson Sr

Jonathan Stewart Soph.

Isaac Thomas

Many of these were redshirted, but I didn't research that. Pretty young on the lines. Plus, Gilmore is returning.

Edited by UNTLifer