Rice Hires Tx State's David Baliff As New Coach

Baby Arm!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4481423.html

Rice hires Texas State's Bailiff as football coach

By MOISEKAPENDA BOWER

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

In one tidy yet frantically hectic week, Rice found a successor to Todd Graham.

Texas State coach David Bailiff will be introduced as the Owls' 18th football coach at 11 a.m. Friday. Bailiff, 48, compiled a 21-15 record over three seasons (2004-06) at his alma mater and led the Bobcats to the Division I-AA national semifinals in 2005.

He spent the previous three seasons at TCU and served as the Horned Frogs' defensive coordinator in 2002-03. TCU ranked first nationally in total defense in 2002.

In the wake of Graham's sudden departure to Tulsa last Thursday, Rice officials were seeking a coach who would be all things to all people. They sought someone with strong ties to the state, a stellar reputation as a recruiter and one with unquestioned character.

By all accounts, Bailiff, a San Antonio native, fits that mold. In 1999, he was named Division I-AA assistant coach of the year by the American Football Coaches Association while serving as Texas State defensive coordinator.

Three years later, the AFCA recognized Bailiff again, tabbing him the nation's top assistant during his second season in Fort Worth.

Good Hire. I feel bad for the guy who is getting a VERY late start in the recruiting process.

You can blame Todd Graham for that.

Somewhere Dennis Franchione is on his knees giving thanks for being replaced as the winner of "No Integrity Award" Given to the latest coach that screwed his team, univeristy, alumni, and fans by taking another job in worst possible fashion.

Good hire but the "late start in recruiting" is nothing new to Bailiff, who after that incredible magic he pulled off when he was hired at TXST the week after signing day, with all the NCAA allegations facing them from Matsakis, he somehow turned the Bobcats around his very first season and went to the playoffs. He will do well for the Owls.

Rick

Good hire but the "late start in recruiting" is nothing new to Bailiff, who after that incredible magic he pulled off when he was hired at TXST the week after signing day, with all the NCAA allegations facing them from Matsakis, he somehow turned the Bobcats around his very first season and went to the playoffs. He will do well for the Owls.

Rick

Agreed , but it will be even tougher this time around as it's going to be harder to get a kid that can get into Rice than Texas State.

Edited by NT03

I hope Rice is never in a big game that is tied with under 2 minutes left....

Yes, Bailiff probably made the worst coaching gaff I have ever seen on TV. As I recall, National 1-AA semifinals in 2005, Texas State hosting Northern Iowa. TSU had all the momentum going their way, got the ball back on about the 50 with a minute and a half left in a tied game, 3 timeouts remaining, and coach just runs out the clock to get to OT; where they lose. TV showed TSU players shaking their heads during the game time running down, he just killed their confidence.

Edited by NT80

Yes, Bailiff probably made the worst coaching gaff I have ever seen on TV. As I recall, National 1-AA semifinals in 2005, Texas State hosting Northern Iowa. TSU had all the momentum going their way, got the ball back on about the 50 with a minute and a half left in a tied game, 3 timeouts remaining, and coach just runs out the clock to get to OT; where they lose. TV showed TSU players shaking their heads during the game time running down, he just killed their confidence.

I remember that! I went to visit a friend in SM soon after that game and all he could talk about was the coaching. You reiterated everything he had described to me, including the players' disappointment.

That was the single worst playcall* (or I guess, non-playcall) I have ever seen in my football-watching life. Bailiff could take Rice to a BCS National Championship, and I will still only associate him with that foolish mistake.

*And that's saying a lot, coming from an NT fan of recent years.

Sources are reporting that in two days TxSt has decided to hire their assistant head coach, Brad Wright. He was at New Braunfels Canyon prior to coaching RB's and special teams for Bailiff. He's had several HS jobs. Previous college job was at ULL back in the 80's. He was also a grad assist for Wacker at TxSt when they won the national title. He's an alumn and letterman for the bobcats. They don't seem too happy at bobcatfans.com about the quickness to fill the spot.

Rick