Adrian Peterson Picks Nfl, To Leave Ou

Later, Sooner: Peterson picks NFL

07:24 PM CST on Monday, January 15, 2007

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Adrian Peterson made it official Monday. The junior will skip his final year at Oklahoma and declare for the NFL draft, bringing an end to a spectacular college career in which he became one of the best running backs in school history.

Peterson, who ranks third in OU history with 4,045 rushing yards, announced his decision in a statement released by the school. Monday was the deadline for underclassmen to declare.

"In the end, I think I just realized that this is a business decision and that it is time for me to take that next step," Peterson said in the statement. "It wasn't easy. I haven't been sleeping much. I just put it all in God's hands."

Peterson is expected to be a first-round pick this spring, most likely going in the top 10. Still, Peterson said the relationships he's built with teammates made the decision difficult.

He will also leave OU without winning a national championship or the Heisman Trophy – two goals he set after being tabbed the nation's No. 1 recruit in early 2004. The Palestine, Texas, native finished second in the Heisman voting as a freshman.

Shocking...never expected that.

Cold Pizza did a "mock draft" of the first 10 places. They project him to go to Houston.

Remember...so long as an underclassman does not hire an agent, he can go back to school and play. Has to do this after a few days (not sure how many).

Remember...so long as an underclassman does not hire an agent, he can go back to school and play. Has to do this after a few days (not sure how many).

I think that's just the NBA. Once a college football player declares, I believe he loses his eligibility.