Remember How Bad Nmsu Had Gotten In Basketball?

SUMG

The last few years that they were in the Belt, New Mexico State was pretty bad.

Anyway, 2nd year coach, Reggie Theus has them at 13-3, with a 3-0 conference mark.

I guess your point is that we should be 13-3? Well, we are 12-5, which is close - though we haven't done as well in conference. I see this argument everywhere in posts for basketball and football. I would love to have that conference record (and expect/demand that we do/will); however, this logic is makes no sense because for the few here and there Cinderella stories that you can point too, you can find 10x more examples of where a new head coach did not have an immediate impact. The typical road map to success usually takes multiple years due to a number of factors including attracting quality players to a struggling program. Yes, JJ has been here 6 years, but from what I've seen, heard, and read he has turned the program around considerably (excellent record at the Super Pit, quality transfers, etc.), though we haven't had the "big one" yet. If it were up to me, and it isn't, I'd give him until the end of next year so we can give his excellent transfers and several good young players a chance to develop and become a cohesive group. I want to win as bad as the rest of you. I am only at UNT for 2 more years until I leave for internship and want to experience a championship season, but I think letting JJ's plan play out one more season is our best chance for success at this point. If we get buried the rest of the season, my opinion my change at that time.

11/14 Pacific W 76-74

11/17 at Loyola-Mary L 71-69

11/19 at #16 Arizona L 102-87

11/28 at New Mexico L 79-76

12/01 Chicago St W 80-74

12/02 USF W 89-78

12/05 New Mexico W 103-72

12/09 UTEP W 71-69

12/11 Ark-PB W 78-62

12/16 at UTEP W 68-62

12/21 WNewMex W 100-76

12/28 Norfolk St W 107-84

01/01 at Chicago St W 88-78

01/04 Hawaii W 92-86

01/06 San Jose St W 74-68

01/11 at Idaho W 61-56

When I look at their games played they have not beaten anyone.

Our wins over Tulsa, Rice, and WKU means more then thier wins over USF, Hawaii, and Utep.

But didn't they beat us a few times before they left the belt?

I guess your point is that we should be 13-3? Well, we are 12-5, which is close - though we haven't done as well in conference. I see this argument everywhere in posts for basketball and football. I would love to have that conference record (and expect/demand that we do/will); however, this logic is makes no sense because for the few here and there Cinderella stories that you can point too, you can find 10x more examples of where a new head coach did not have an immediate impact. The typical road map to success usually takes multiple years due to a number of factors including attracting quality players to a struggling program. Yes, JJ has been here 6 years, but from what I've seen, heard, and read he has turned the program around considerably (excellent record at the Super Pit, quality transfers, etc.), though we haven't had the "big one" yet. If it were up to me, and it isn't, I'd give him until the end of next year so we can give his excellent transfers and several good young players a chance to develop and become a cohesive group. I want to win as bad as the rest of you. I am only at UNT for 2 more years until I leave for internship and want to experience a championship season, but I think letting JJ's plan play out one more season is our best chance for success at this point. If we get buried the rest of the season, my opinion my change at that time.

Don't turn this into an anti-JJ thread.

Our wins over Tulsa, Rice, and WKU means more then their wins over USF, Hawaii, and Utep.

But didn't they beat us a few times before they left the belt?

I'm not so sure about that. I would hold them on the same level. Hard to gage; TU just beat UTEP last night in OT.

JJ's team looks great this year :)

How does Oregon St get absolutely hammered by a couple WAC teams (including Hawaii 85-41), then lose a nail-biter to #15 LSU?

Weird. I thought I was supporting JJ by saying we need to give him more time to let things pan out. Did you read what I wrote?

Yes. You said a lot of good, true things about him but then hinted at some kind of deadline for JJ:

If it were up to me, and it isn't, I'd give him until the end of next year so we can give his excellent transfers and several good young players a chance to develop and become a cohesive group. I want to win as bad as the rest of you. I am only at UNT for 2 more years until I leave for internship and want to experience a championship season, but I think letting JJ's plan play out one more season is our best chance for success at this point.

I guess I dwelt too much on the "one more season" part. my bad ;)

My point was - whether or not you're arguing for/against JJ - that that was not the purpose of the thread in the first place. Kudos to Theus for his season so far. I guess time will tell whether this lasts or if it's a one-season wonder.

Jus something for everyone to think about: Don Haskins would always talk about how much easier it is to turn things around and win in bball as compared to football. In Bball you can win with 7-9 players that rotate the 5 positions played on the floor. You even really need a decent "two deep" that would make it 10. That's not the case for football where you - ideally - would like AT LEAST 44 players: 22 each for offense/defense. I think that's why, as is Theus's case, you see a lot more of these 2 season turnarounds in bball.

We are 13-5, that is a great record - with solid wins over some solid schools. Please stop counting those 2 exhibition games against NAIA opponents, they do not count. I will give you the 1 win against the Div II school (Cameron) but that is about it, none of the other ranking services will count that, but since they at least belong to a VERSION of the NCAA, I will forfeit that game (even though it really does not count)... so at best, we are 13-5, a great record that we should be proud of.

We are 13-5, that is a great record - with solid wins over some solid schools. Please stop counting those 2 exhibition games against NAIA opponents, they do not count. I will give you the 1 win against the Div II school (Cameron) but that is about it, none of the other ranking services will count that, but since they at least belong to a VERSION of the NCAA, I will forfeit that game (even though it really does not count)... so at best, we are 13-5, a great record that we should be proud of.

Not counting the NAIA mid-season exhibitions, NT is 10-5. I hope they don't follow the history of JJ's recent teams, but the play of late has me wondering. I will follow the games the rest of the year and reserve comment on JJ until the season is up. God forbid I upset emmitt again.