Even More Recruiting Rumors

PerryG2480

Anyone have an idea who this quote might be referring to?

"You, my friend, will be surprised to see who shows up at UNT to QB. I will not divulge his name (yet), for fear of his transfer not going through. However, you, DD, know this young man well and he'll step right in to the starting position when eligible. Stay tuned."

:ph34r:

http://www.5atexasfootball.com/forum/vB/sh...4438&page=5

Edited by PerryG2480

not. a. chance.

not trying to state anything factual. I just thought I'd throw that out there and see what people have to say.

Have you read anything? Even if CD is truly committed to Mizzou, I let most things I hear in college athletics go out the other ear and just wait and watch.

"not. a. chance" Wasn't that Saban's answer to the press re: Alabama?

I've heard it many times before. You just never know what they're really thinking.

not trying to state anything factual. I just thought I'd throw that out there and see what people have to say.

Have you read anything? Even if CD is truly committed to Mizzou, I let most things I hear in college athletics go out the other ear and just wait and watch.

ok fair enough. A better question would be- why? I mean, love NT but when you had a chance to play at UT and are now THE guy at Mizzou (who could easily challenge for the Big 12 North next year) whats the allure of playing in the Sun Belt? Todd Dodge is great, but I highly doubt this is a likely scenario even for him.

AS to Ryan Sparealoux, I wouldnt hold my breath. From what I have read, the only place he may be playing football next year could be the Louisiana State Penitentiary.

Here's what we know:

1) It is a transfer

2) He is known to some guy in southlake (ostensibly a player parent who would have Chase Daniel over at his house)

3) talented enough to "step right in to the starting job"

4) Not Daniel

5) Not McElroy

My guess is they are talking about Chase Wasson, who will not be able to transfer due to an overturning of the rule which stated a player can transfer and retain the year of eligibility if he graduates early.

However, another name was being thrown around that I am not too familiar with, Chris Ponder. I don't know much about the guy other than he was a Colleyville QB who signed with Florida State.

My guess is they are talking about Chase Wasson, who will not be able to transfer due to an overturning of the rule which stated a player can transfer and retain the year of eligibility if he graduates early.

and Chase Wasson really isnt that good, so it would have to be someone pretty impressive if it is in fact true the guy would be an "instant starter" once eligible.

I've heard it many times before. You just never know what they're really thinking.

I know. And he's not leaving.

How about the big Taylor kid from Abilene,who is a freshman at Texas Tech this year playing behind Harrell ? Are , how about the yonger Harrell kid , who was a freshman redshirt at Tulsa this year, since Kragthorpe is leaving for Louisville ?

Food for thought for those of you who are hungary.

Even if that Chase Wasson fellow is a spare he will still probably still be a better option than the three stooges we currently have...Wilson, Meager, and Phillip. Dunno just a wild thought. What do you guys think?

Being honest, and not to be rude, but ANY of the QB recruits I have heard about would be a better option than those three...

After just thinking about it....with in defense of wilson, meager, and phillips....do you think they can play and perform better if they have a guy like dodge teaching them on HOW to be a qb? I mean I dont think DD knew his head from his arse in teaching these kids on atleast being able to start and play on a consistent basis for a whole game. What do you guys think?

After just thinking about it....with in defense of wilson, meager, and phillips....do you think they can play and perform better if they have a guy like dodge teaching them on HOW to be a qb? I mean I dont think DD knew his head from his arse in teaching these kids on atleast being able to start and play on a consistent basis for a whole game. What do you guys think?

Given Dodge's QB camp, and the success his SLC qb's had, I'd say it's a good bet that he knows how to teach a QB how to play in his offense. I don't know about making these guys play like studs; we would have seen signs of that if that were the case. But they were recruited here under the belief that they could play D-1 ball, and with Dodge at the helm I feel safe there will be a lot of improvement.

After just thinking about it....with in defense of wilson, meager, and phillips....do you think they can play and perform better if they have a guy like dodge teaching them on HOW to be a qb? What do you guys think?

Yes, I do. Who knows what was being taught? Maybe we dont have any QBs, maybe we have a couple viable options. Dickey seemed to be in LOVE with Meager, though I cannot figure out for the life of me why. Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with Wilson (between the ears). And Phillips? I have yet to see anything out of him come gameday, save one decent half a couple years ago. True he has looked good in practice, but Saturdays is when it matters.

Wasson hasnt done much of anything to impress me since coming out. I understand he spent a lot of time behind Barrick Nealy, but he is still a 5'11" QB that didnt get much done against an unimpressive Southland slate last year. Pardon my lack of enthusiasm. In fact, I think many of the guys coming to visit NT in the upcoming weeks will have a larger upside than this guy.

Edited by Eagle1855

Truth be told, I don't think anyone but Daniel Meager, Woody Wilson, and Matt Phillips really know what each are capable of. To say that anyone would be better than them is pretty silly, and more than a little offensive.

Look, the biggest long-term fault of the Dickey administration, to me, is the teaching aspect of coaching. I didn't really even realize it until I saw Coach Bliel come in, and actually start teaching players what seemed like everyone else just assumed.

Part of the challenge with the college game, especially at the Mid-Major level, is that you have to develop players. Where in the Big 12 you might be able to stick a pre-packaged, ready-made 5 star prospect under center and watch him succeed with little to no guidance, you really have to mold and shape the player at our level. We get a lot of guys with potential at North Texas, and, you know what? The sidelines have been full of them over the last few years. You need to teach the game, not just call the plays and hope for the best.

Ramon Flanigan, in practice, did a lot of yelling, and not a lot of actual teaching. In someone else's book, screaming at a player and asking him which read he should have made, then ridiculing him in front of everyone when he didn't know might be coaching. But it certainly doesn't seem like it, to me.

I don't think we have any idea who Daniel Meager, the player, is, or the QB Woody Wilson might become, or how truly talented Matt Phillips is. At times, all of them have flashed greatness, so you know they are CAPABLE. But it falls to the trainers, the conditioning coach, the positional coach, the offensive coordinator and the head man himself to focus our guys and to bring them along as men and players.

Don't count them out yet. Let's see how they do with a little quality instruction.

I think you look at what you have, develop them as best as possible then adjust to get the best from them. I don't think DD had much vision. He seemed to do the same things no matter what. Perhaps the offense was not the best situation for any of them. Pick the one that fits the best, reassign the others and get on with it. Wilson is a good athlete and should be able to contribute somewhere on the offense IMO. Once he was no longer the QB (although who knows who the QB was) he went away.

Even if that Chase Wasson fellow is a spare he will still probably still be a better option than the three stooges we currently have...Wilson, Meager, and Phillip. Dunno just a wild thought. What do you guys think?

I think you are suffering from a major case of Internet Bravery.

Oh, about the QB's?

I think Meager is a kid who has some physical talents, but had his confidence shattered. The mental aspect of the game is as big as the physical. Can Dodge get his head straight?

I think Phillips a strong arm, but he tries to force too many things. If he had more confidence in the system would he stop pressing as much?

I think Wilson was coached into going away from his strengths. He doest have a big arm, but he can make short, accurate throws, as long as you aren't asking him to throw it across the field. I think he would be a very good fit for the Dodge offense.

And before anyone gets thier "OUR QB SAVIOR IS COMING NEXT YEAR!" hopes too far up, remember the NCAA transfer rules.

Edited by MeanGreenEngineer

I think you are suffering from a major case of Internet Bravery.

Oh, about the QB's?

I think Meager is a kid who has some physical talents, but had his confidence shattered. The mental aspect of the game is as big as the physical. Can Dodge get his head straight?

I think Phillips a strong arm, but he tries to force too many things. If he had more confidence in the system would he stop pressing as much?

I think Wilson was coached into going away from his strengths. He doest have a big arm, but he can make short, accurate throws, as long as you aren't asking him to throw it across the field. I think he would be a very good fit for the Dodge offense.

And before anyone gets thier "OUR QB SAVIOR IS COMING NEXT YEAR!" hopes too far up, remember the NCAA transfer rules.

That they don't have to sit out if they graduate in 3 years?