Sources: Ou's Peterson To Enter Nfl Draft

NT80

Sources: OU's Peterson to enter NFL Draft

08:55 PM CST on Wednesday, January 10, 2007

By BRIAN DAVIS and CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

Oklahoma junior running back Adrian Peterson will skip his final year of eligibility and enter the NFL Draft, according to two sources close to the situation.

An official announcement could come as early as Thursday.

Peterson, who is projected in several mock drafts as a top 10 pick, met with Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops on Wednesday to notify Stoops of his intention to turn pro, according to one source.

Another source said Peterson has met with agents, including Eugene Parker, Drew Rosenhaus and the Creative Artists Agency, whose NFL division is headed by agents Ben Dogra and Tom Condon.

The deadline for underclassmen to declare themselves eligible for the NFL Draft is Monday.

Peterson, the 2004 Heisman Trophy runner-up from Palestine, Texas, battled shoulder and ankle injuries and a broken collarbone during his three seasons at OU. But he'll leave the school with 4,045 yards and 41 career touchdowns, putting him among the best running backs in school history.

Today's update.

By DAVE SITTLER AND JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writers

1/11/2007

View in Print (PDF) Format

Coach denies reports that tailback has made his mind up about NFL.

University of Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops met with tailback Adrian Peterson on Wednesday to discuss the player's future, and Stoops later adamantly denied reports that Peterson had made a decision about whether to enter the NFL Draft.

"I met with him today, and he did not say he had made a decision," Stoops said in a telephone interview late Wednesday. "He has a lot of things he still wants to think over."

Multiple media outlets, citing unnamed sources, reported late Wednesday that Peterson would enter the NFL Draft. Stoops said reports about Peterson reaching a decision are "absolutely incorrect. They're false.

"I don't expect him to make a decision until sometime this weekend or maybe even Monday."

Monday is the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL Draft.

Peterson has been in contact with agents, which is within NCAA guidelines.

"I encouraged him to talk with agents," Stoops said.

NCAA rules prohibit players from taking money or benefits from agents. However, it's common practice for players to discuss their draft status with agents.

Unless of course they're only test driving them to see if their family can afford it. :innocent:

Oh that's just wrong, man. Funny... but wrong. I've test driven a car before and didnt get into trouble? Of course, I took it back the same day. I just didnt know you could keep it for longer?

I'm going to the Ferrari dealership tomorrow... I hope it's run by an OU Alum.

GMG!!!

Newflash - OU was 6-0 without Peterson in 2006 and averaged 185+ yards rushing per game; with Peterson, they were 5-3 and averaged about 170 per game rushing.

When Peterson was in the game, teams simply keyed on him, OU was unable to run consistently, leaving them without a credible play action passing game. With Peterson out, the play action game opened up and the QB-turned-WR-turned-QB Thompson mysteriously began to pass more efficiently.

Football is a team game, not a one player game. OU returns four of five starting OLs, all starting receivers and tight ends, both fullbacks who rotated as starters, as well as the trio of running backs who outrushed Adrian Peterson while he was out. So, in reality, they lose only two starters. One other OL started half the game last year, but was injured half way through the season. So, the fifth man in the line next year won't be a true freshman or an inexperienced uperclassman. It'll be a guy with six collegiate starts under his belt, including tough road games at Oregon and Dallas against UT.

The only real loss, then, for OU is the QB Thompson, and that hasn't been a problem during the Stoops Era at OU. Consider, OU has won conference titles with four different QBs during the Stoops Era, so I wouldn't get too excited about them having to break another one in. The only failure at QB for Stoops was Bomar. So, of five starters during the Stoops Era, four have been highly successful. The 80% starting QBs leading the team to conference titles at OU under Stoops is just a shade under his 82% winning percentage as a coach.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Newflash - OU was 6-0 without Peterson in 2006 and averaged 185+ yards rushing per game; with Peterson, they were 5-3 and averaged about 170 per game rushing.

When Peterson was in the game, teams simply keyed on him, OU was unable to run consistently, leaving them without a credible play action passing game. With Peterson out, the play action game opened up and the QB-turned-WR-turned-QB Thompson mysteriously began to pass more efficiently.

Football is a team game, not a one player game. OU returns four of five starting OLs, all starting receivers and tight ends, both fullbacks who rotated as starters, as well as the trio of running backs who outrushed Adrian Peterson while he was out. So, in reality, they lose only two starters. One other OL started half the game last year, but was injured half way through the season. So, the fifth man in the line next year won't be a true freshman or an inexperienced uperclassman. It'll be a guy with six collegiate starts under his belt, including tough road games at Oregon and Dallas against UT.

The only real loss, then, for OU is the QB Thompson, and that hasn't been a problem during the Stoops Era at OU. Consider, OU has won conference titles with four different QBs during the Stoops Era, so I wouldn't get too excited about them having to break another one in. The only failure at QB for Stoops was Bomar. So, of five starters during the Stoops Era, four have been highly successful. The 80% starting QBs leading the team to conference titles at OU under Stoops is just a shade under his 82% winning percentage as a coach.

Lonnie you so crazy. They can't replace a RB and a QB. This win is a slam dunk for one of the teams who will take the field that day.

Yes, for the home team.

Anyone remember the SNL sketch with Cheri O'Teri about the girl who was bad at sexual innuendos? She'd be like "I'll take your package" and then look at everyone and then be like "And by package, I mean your junk. And by junk, I mean your crotch. And by crotch I mean your..."

Just thought of that unnecessary over-explaining now for some reason.

So, no Super Jamario vs. Peterson matchup next year? I was looking forward to that after all the downplaying of Jamario's title his freshman year because he played for little ole North Texas in the Sunbelt.

Edited by FireFightnJoey