Nate Newton

Marty

Big Nate was on Brad Sham's KTCK show last night and the subject of his son (Tre') came up. I believe Brad asked him about the possibility of Tre going to UNT since Dodge was the coach now. "Not in a million years" was Nate's response, "Why" was asked, and Nate replied, "Because they don't pay enough!"

Big Nate was on Brad Sham's KTCK show last night and the subject of his son (Tre') came up. I believe Brad asked him about the possibility of Tre going to UNT since Dodge was the coach now. "Not in a million years" was Nate's response, "Why" was asked, and Nate replied, "Because they don't pay enough!"

Atleast he is telling the truth. :lol: Unfotunately that is true. <_<

Wait, I don't understand? They don't pay you to play college ball they just give you a scholarship that pays for everything. Did I miss something??

In this day and time, I doubt there are any "pay for play" schools.

HAHAHA!!!! Maybe you missed the OU Bomar payment scandal, like... earlier this year?? Or - maybe you missed the scandal around Reggie Bush's parents getting a free house to live in? Yep, you guessed it - this year also.

Nate Newton is not the "brightest bulb" in the box. That answer was totally inappropriate. In this day and time, I doubt there are any "pay for play" schools. Since the SMU death penalty, that stuff has gone away (i hope). Not to say there aren't any rogue alums out there but coaches and institutions are not promoting.

EVERY Div 1A athletics program (other than probably Air Force, Navy, and Army) are all corrupt in some way, shape or form. And when I say every...I really mean EVERY.

EVERY Div 1A athletics program (other than probably Air Force, Navy, and Army) are all corrupt in some way, shape or form. And when I say every...I really mean EVERY.

WOW...I must say that I am truly impressed! Knowing the inner workings of all, what 119, Div IA first-hand is quite an amazing feat!!! :rolleyes1::rolleyes:

HAHAHA!!!! Maybe you missed the OU Bomar payment scandal, like... earlier this year?? Or - maybe you missed the scandal around Reggie Bush's parents getting a free house to live in? Yep, you guessed it - this year also.

Throw Adrian Peterson and the Lexus SUV in there too.

Ah yes, I love the parent that makes the decisions for the child. Tell you what Nate, try letting your son make the decision where he wants to play.

I have really tried to like Nate Newton over the years, but I can't believe he says stupid stuff like this. If you don't want your son to go to UNT, that's very understandable. Tre will almost be able to name where he wants to play after high school. But site reasons other than "they don't pay." What a stupid statement. Somebody teach this guy diplomacy! "Well, we'll see, we've got a lot of options to look at and Coach Dodge is a great coach."

I really don't normally rip people, but he's got me hot.

By the way, thanks to Brad for asking the question!

Nate Newton is not the "brightest bulb" in the box. That answer was totally inappropriate. In this day and time, I doubt there are any "pay for play" schools. Since the SMU death penalty, that stuff has gone away (i hope). Not to say there aren't any rogue alums out there but coaches and institutions are not promoting.

You must be kidding. right? I went to law school with a guy who played LB at UNLV in the mid-90s. He said that after wins they'd mysteriously have cash of the C-note variety show up in their lockers. Folks, these were not UNLV teams that were competitive.

It happens, and it happens everywhere. People just aren't as brazen about it these days as they were at SMU in the late 70s/early 80s with Eric Dickerson orally committing to OU, accepting a corvette from an A&M alum, then signing with SMU. If you think it doesn't happen to some degree at schools at all levels you're kidding yourself.

I roomed with a guy in college whose dad played and coached and whose brother played at two different SEC schools. His dad also coached at a Division II school here in Texas after 16 years as an assistant at the SEC school. He told me that even at the Division II school coaches and alum made sure players were taken care of, and not just with money, but with little things that are supposed to be NCAA violations - allowing players to use the coaches' office phones to make long distance calls home, coaches/alums buying plane tickets for players to go back home during breaks who otherwise couldn't have afforded it, local car dealers allowing players to "test drive" cars, etc.

And, it goes beyond football. I went to law school at a university know for its basketball prowess. All of the starting players were driving new cars (SUVs) from a certain dealership in town. Coincidence? Yeah, sure.

I think it's funny when fans of any school start with the "we don't do that" bullcrap. You have no idea what's going on with 100+ football players and 250+ athletes on a major college campus, or even a little college campus. You think you do, but you don't. The coaches still don't even know. It's impossible for them to know what is going on in the city with the alums and businesses, not to mention what alums and businesses back in Johnny 5-Star's hometown might be giving him.

Supposedly, you can't so much as give a kid a sandwich if you've ever purchased a ticket to a school's athletic event. Believe me, there are guys eating like kings on and off campus and back home on the alums dime at all levels of play. Those of you who say it doesn't happen anymore are tilting at windmills. It's happening today, probably as we speak. At 10:35, phone calls for lunch are already being made.

Hear me now, believe me later...but, don't kid yourselves.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Well, let me pose this question to any and all attorneys out there. Could Nate's (dumb-ass) statement be construed as a solicitation of a bribe. And by making that statement, could he already be in violation of an NCAA rule/statute?

No. Because Nate is (1) a convicted felon, and (2) publicly know to be someone who has for many years consciously made frivolous statements, it would be difficult to take anything he says and make it credible in a court of law.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Poor Nate...he doesn't have a clue does he. I would expect this type of statement out of an nut that gets caught with 60Lbs of pot and then gets poped for another 60Lbs of pot while out on bail...but not Nate :blink:

Poor Nate...he doesn't have a clue does he. I would expect this type of statement out of an nut that gets caught with 60Lbs of pot and then gets poped for another 60Lbs of pot while out on bail...but not Nate :blink:

MeanGreenPop,

What kind of deal did Charlie get? I hope he got at least $100 a week + a decent clothing allowance. You know I college kid's got to look fly.

Edited by GreenBat