Trio From Lufkin To Visit Unt

Harry

Hmmm a 4-star visit in less than 2 weeks on the job? Not bad Coach Dodge, not bad at all! :clapping:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/college/stories/DRC_UNT_notes_1-10.251dd08d.html

Trio from Lufkin to visit UNT

One of the top wide receiver prospects in the country will make a recruiting visit to North Texas.

Dez Bryant of Lufkin will be in Denton beginning Jan. 26 along with teammates Ralph Thomas and A.J. Penson. Thomas plays cornerback while Penson is an inside linebacker.

Lufkin coach John Outlaw confirmed on Tuesday that all three are being recruited by UNT and are scheduled to visit the school.

Rivals.com ranks Bryant as a four-star recruit and the ninth-best receiver prospect in the country. He is being recruited by LSU, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech Oklahoma and Texas A&M, among others.

Bryant (6-1, 195) caught 67 passes for 1,270 yards and six touchdowns last season.

Thomas and Penson are both listed as two-star recruits by Rivals.com.

Penson is being recruited by Texas A&M, UTEP and Houston, among others. Rice is recruiting Thomas.

Keep them coming.......I wonder if we have ever attracted a 4 or 5 star recruit and if we did, who?

occurding to rivals.com we havn't in the past 4 years atleast.. the highest we have had were 3 stars and they were Ron Veal (2002), Charles DuPree (2003), Michael Pruitt (2003), T.J. Covington (2004), Jamario Thomas (2004), and Willie Ransom (2005)

occurding to rivals.com we havn't in the past 4 years atleast.. the highest we have had were 3 stars and they were Ron Veal (2002), Charles DuPree (2003), Michael Pruitt (2003), T.J. Covington (2004), Jamario Thomas (2004), and Willie Ransom (2005)

I believe that Jamario was ranked as a 4 star recruit by rivals but as soon as he signed with UNT they downgraded him to 3 star. I could be wrong but I seem to remember hearing that someplace.

How long did Ron Veal and Charles Dupree last? I have not heard anything about them the last couple of years.

Guys, this is great news.

Here's something to think about:

I play a North Texas dynasty(Heisman level) on NCAA '07. I just started it all over again after going 7 years into it. North Texas was too powerful, causing teh game to be a little boring. Anyway, when I recruit players I always check out rivals, match my recruit's ratings with actual high school prospects, and enter them into the system. In the 3rd year of my Dynasty, I entered a recruit into my system by the name of Dez Bryant. :) He dominated defenses, was 2nd in Heisman voting his Sr. year (the damn game loves RB's), & he won receiver of the year his JR & SR year. Anyone believe in fate? :shuriken::sorcerer:

That ought to tell you all you need to know about Rivals rating system. Pruitt and Thomas are the only two that lived up to their billing.

I hate to be a downer, but do you think this is a case of a big time recruit helping out his friends and going on a visit more for their sake? Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that we're at least getting someone to take a visit, as it will only help us in recruiting to have a 4 Star recruit and North Texas mentioned in the same article, but it seems too good to be true that we'd have 4 Star looking at us in the first year of Dodge's reign. I would have anticipated this after maybe 2 or 3 years.

All that being said....if you can get them on campus, you at least have a shot. Go Dodge!!!!

GMG!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mad Hatter

I hate to be a downer, but do you think this is a case of a big time recruit helping out his friends and going on a visit more for their sake? Don't get me wrong, I'm thrillied that we're at least getting someone to take a visit, as it will only help us in recruiting to have a 4 Star recruit and North Texas mentioned in the same article, but it seems too good to be true that we'd have 4 Star looking at us in the first year of Dodge's reign. I would have anticipated this after maybe 2 or 3 years.

All that being said....if you can get them on campus, you at least have a shot. Go Dodge!!!!

GMG!!!!!!!!!

That's something you can only speculate, and not worry about. For what it's worth, at least he's visiting, which is more than nothing right? You never know when he comes around he might just be swayed to think "wow look at this place. all the construction. new stadium in the works. new coach with lots of buzz."

-gm

Edited by greenminer

That's something you can only speculate, and not worry about. For what it's worth, at least he's visiting, which is more than nothing right? You never know when he comes around he might just be swayed to think "wow look at this place. all the construction. new stadium in the works. new coach with lots of buzz."

-gm

He could also say the following:

1.) Hmm. I start immediately. First year.

2.) I can put up ridiculous numbers. I'll be #1 in the NCAA in all 4 years.

3.) There aren't ridiculous pressures by rabid fans with crazy expectations. I can ease into the university in early years.

T.J. "Leon" Covington was a 3 star JUCO? Holy crap, did anyone at Rivals ever see a minute of tape on the guy? You would be hard pressed to find a bigger bust of a DB at NT more than Covington. I don't think I have ever seen more side-step grab-a-long tackles in my life coming from one player. I know DB's are going to give up a big play from time to time but at least the others like to hit people. I'm so very glad he's gone.

Rick

T.J. "Leon" Covington was a 3 star JUCO? Holy crap, did anyone at Rivals ever see a minute of tape on the guy? You would be hard pressed to find a bigger bust of a DB at NT more than Covington. I don't think I have ever seen more side-step grab-a-long tackles in my life coming from one player. I know DB's are going to give up a big play from time to time but at least the others like to hit people. I'm so very glad he's gone.

Rick

Can I hear an AMEN!!

Funny how people will have thier favorite players, who never did wrong, and have players they didn't like, and they never could do right.

TJ had a big mouth, and he was beaten more than once, but he did come up with some big plays. If I can find it I will upload the video of him running that bacll back 106 yards.

And when you do find it, make sure to play it about 10 times in a row...that way you'll be able to make a highlight reel. :lol:

And when you do find it, make sure to play it about 10 times in a row...that way you'll be able to make a highlight reel. :lol:

Or I guess I could splice it with the interception TJ made with less than a minute to go, to seal the game when we were ahead of MTSU 24-21 in 2004.

I'm not TJ Covington, I'm not his agent or dad, but I can't help but notice certain posting patterns on GMG.

GMG Goon Leader: PLAYER X BAAAAD!

GMG Goons: Yeah! Player X sucked! Player X Terrible! GRRR!

and

GMG Goon Leader: PLAYER Y GOOD!

GMG Goons: Yeah! Player Y Awesome! Player Y walk on water! I want Goon Leader to bear my children!

GMG Goon Leader: ...

GMG Goons: uh... Player X Bad!

GMG Goon Leader: Me Awesome!!

Again, not defending TJ, not saying he deserves the Mean Green Hall of Fame, just pointing out behavior.

Also, TJ is the only player I ever saw taunt the opposing teams dance team, cheerleaders and president in the same night.

Dance teams reaction? :surrender:

and

GMG Goons: Yeah! Player Y Awesome! Player Y walk on water! I want Goon Leader to bear my children!

Again, not defending TJ, not saying he deserves the Mean Green Hall of Fame, just pointing out behavior.

Also, TJ is the only player I ever saw taunt the opposing teams dance team, cheerleaders and president in the same night.

Edited by MeanGreenSig

Or I guess I could splice it with the interception TJ made with less than a minute to go, to seal the game when we were ahead of MTSU 24-21 in 2004.

I'm not TJ Covington, I'm not his agent or dad, but I can't help but notice certain posting patterns on GMG.

and

Don't forget to find his late hit and unsportmanlike penalties. They shouldn't be to hard to find. There was at least one in every game.

I guess FFR is the Goon Leader and I'm a Goon.

Edited by GreenBat