Interesting Story In Startle-gram

Texas Stranger

One of the men featured in this story was Lloyd Lowe. He was a running backand defensive back at North Texas and later played with the Chicago Bears. It was my pleasure to know him during the 1972-73 school year. He was the high school principal at Marlin High School when I was a young assistant principal at Marlin Middle School. Because of our North Texas connection we became friends. He is a quality person. He is also a member of the North Texas athletic department Hall of Fame. As far as I am concerned it is an honor that he certainly earned.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I was in the service then also so I don't remember much about the Carswell AFB team but I do remember Loyd Lowe. I believe that he was from Mart and was an amazing athlete. We had him listed at 160 but I think that he weighed about 145. He was nothing but muscle and bone. And speed. He could be full speed in two strides and stop on a dime. Loyd is a most deserving member of the North Texas Hall of Fame.

The only other name that rang a bell with me was Bud McFadin. He may very well be the greatest lineman in UT history.

Great memories.

I am not old enough to recall that, but my dad played football for the Quantico Marines for two years and he told me stories about it. They played a lot of East Coast college teams like Bucknell, VMI, Adorondack etc. and were pretty good. Dad parlayed his playing in the Marines to play ball at Wyoming and then Midwestern State in Wichita Falls. He had try-outs with both the Houston Oilers and the Denver Broncos prior to the AFL's first season, but never made the cut.

If you look back into the 1940s and 1950s, you will find a lot of big name stars played service ball. Doak Walker played for Brook Army Med Center before he came to SMU.

Not old enough to remember that, but he ST article yesterday was pretty cool. NTSU played them twice, and were only 1 of (IIRC) 2 teams to beat the "Bombers" in 2 years???The other team was the Dallas Texans (!)

Some football History....

As good as the artcle makes them sound it should be noted that that version of the Dallas Texans is considered to be the worst NFL team ever. They were the last NFL team to go bankrupt. They were such a failure that they couldn't get anybody come watch them, and players weren't getting paid. The team was going to fold during the season but the NFL assumed ownership of the team and moved the team base from Dallas to Hershey PA, and the team finished the year playing the rest of the games on the road. The league sold the franchise and it was moved to Baltimore the next season to become the Colts.

Also some trivia from this

Dallas is the only city that has been the birthplace of 3 NFL franchises that all have gone on to win Super Bowls.

1952- Dallas Texans(NFL)...Baltimore Colts -Super Bowl V

1960- Dallas Texans(AFL)...Kansas City Chiefs- Super Bowl IV

1960-Dallas Cowboys(NFL) --Super Bowls VI, XII, XXVII, XXVIII, XXX

Edited by Baby Arm!