Johnson Will Play For Unt

MeanGreen61

College Football: Johnson will play for UNT

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

Breece Johnson had been considering playing for North Texas for some time before the team's coaching staff changed over in mid-December.

Once Todd Dodge arrived in Denton, the recruiting process was essentially over for the Colleyville Heritage wide receiver.

"I really liked UNT when the old coaching staff was recruiting me," Johnson said. "Once coach Dodge got the job there, it made me want to go there even more."

Johnson, 6-1, 175, got his wish late Sunday when he made an oral commitment to play for the Mean Green. Oral commitments are nonbinding. The first day recruits can sign national letters of intent in Feb. 7.

Dodge added to his staff in addition to his first recruiting class over the weekend by hiring former Texas graduate assistant coach Derek Lewis to be his defensive ends coach.

While Dodge has yet to coach a game at UNT, Johnson has a good idea of what to expect from his new head coach after playing in the same district as Carroll the last few seasons.

"I was impressed with what coach Dodge did at Carroll," Johnson said of the Dragons, who won four Class 5A state titles under their former coach. "I played against Carroll twice this year. I thought it would be better to play for him than against him in college."

Johnson had yet to receive scholarship offers from schools other than UNT, but was being recruited by Colorado State, Texas State and Utah State.

The offense UNT will run under Dodge was one of the factors that helped sell Johnson on playing for the Mean Green. Dodge runs a spread offense and had one of the most productive passing attacks in high school football in the area the last several years.

Dodge will employ the same offense at UNT.

"I like the fact that coach Dodge throws the ball a lot," Johnson said. "It will be similar to what I am used to playing in at Heritage."

Johnson was one of the most productive receivers in the area last season when he caught 88 passes for 1,343 yards and 19 touchdowns. He was a first-team selection on The Dallas Morning News' All-Area team and was also named to the Associated Press all-state team.

Johnson said a chance to play right away in college was a factor in his decision. UNT lost its all-time leading receiver Johnny Quinn to graduation after last season along with fellow senior wide receiver Joel Nwigwe.

Johnson might not be the last receiver from Heritage to commit to UNT. Johnson said his teammate Evan Walker will be among the players taking official visits to UNT this weekend. Walker led Heritage with 99 catches for 1,476 yards and 15 touchdowns and was a second-team selection on the Morning News’ all-area team.

Lewis will be on hand to welcome Johnson to UNT when he arrives in the fall. School officials confirmed on Monday the former Texas standout has joined the Mean Green's coaching staff.

Lewis spent the last two seasons as a graduate assistant coach with the Longhorns.

Lewis was a four-year letterman and two-year starter at Texas. He was a first-team All-Big 12 selection in 1998 and went on to play three seasons for the St. Louis Rams.

The addition of Lewis leaves just two spots left for Dodge to fill on his staff. UNT officials said Dodge plans on completing his staff in the next few days.

here is a story that came out about him in october that has some info about him.. he must have shrunk over the break

--------------

Colleyville(Texas)Heritage receiver Breece Johnson is a player many opposing teams the Panthers face know about, but yet not many colleges have taken notice of the talented play maker who's been flying under the radar.

After a stellar performance at the Texas 7-on-7 tournament in which he was named the tourney's MVP, many felt he would continue terrorizing defenses during his senior year and he has done just that.

Johnson, 6-foot-2, 190 pounds with 4.4 speed currently leads the DFW area in receiving with 52 receptions for 836 yards and 14 scores, while helping his team to a 5-2 record.

Although his stats are impressive, Johnson doesn't hold an offer to date but is getting interest from North Texas, Colorado St., Iowa, and Utah.

"Those are the schools that have called and sent letters," he said. "I don't have any favorites."

One team Johnson says he wouldn't mind hearing from is TCU since is just a short drive away.

"I haven't heard anything from them, nothing at all," he said. "I would have an interest in them if they were to start showing me some interest."

Johnson, who is in his second year as a starter says he's been happy with his performance this year.

"The season has been going real good," he said. "I've done better than I expected I would."

Johnson is set to visit one of the schools showing him interest in the near future.

"I'm going up to UNT next week," he said. "I'm going up there to look around and get to meet all the coaches."

Edited by Keith7