Fw * Telegram Official Article On New Asst Coaches With Position Assig

OldTimer

"New NT coach Todd Dodge said Friday..through a spokesman that he has filled 5 staff positions.

3 hires include former Carroll coaches. Ron Mendoza will be Defence coordinator and linebacker coach, Robert Drake will coach the defensive line and special teams, and Todd Ford will coach the QBs.

FT Worth native and former Air Force offensive coordinator Chuch Petersen (their spelling not mine) will coach safeties, Former NT assistant Butch LaCroix (1986-92) will coach the cornerbacks. Peterson, who played at Eastern Hills and Air Force before joing Fisher DeBerry's staff, so far is UNT's most experienced assistant.

Dodge is still interviewing coaches for Running Backs and the offensive line. It's unknown if UNT will have a tight ends. coach."

This article did not include Clayton George, previously "announced" who will coach wide receivers.

"New NT coach Todd Dodge said Friday..through a spokesman that he has filled 5 staff positions.

3 hires include former Carroll coaches. Ron Mendoza will be Defence coordinator and linebacker coach, Robert Drake will coach the defensive line and special teams, and Todd Ford will coach the QBs.

FT Worth native and former Air Force offensive coordinator Chuch Petersen (their spelling not mine) will coach safeties, Former NT assistant Butch LaCroix (1986-92) will coach the cornerbacks. Peterson, who played at Eastern Hills and Air Force before joing Fisher DeBerry's staff, so far is UNT's most experienced assistant.

Dodge is still interviewing coaches for Running Backs and the offensive line. It's unknown if UNT will have a tight ends. coach."

This article did not include Clayton George, previously "announced" who will coach wide receivers.

Ok, I need some help again. Why do you have a coach for the CB's and a separate coach for the safeties? Aren't they (the CB and Safeties) supposed to coordinate their play. And wouldn't having two different coaches for those positions tend make them less cohesive? :huh:

Ok, I need some help again. Why do you have a coach for the CB's and a separate coach for the safeties? Aren't they (the CB and Safeties) supposed to coordinate their play. And wouldn't having two different coaches for those positions tend make them less cohesive? :huh:

Scratch that, LaCroix with corners and Petersen with safeties is kinda wierd...

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

My first thought is that they're moving a guy coming from an offensive coordinator position to coach a defensive position. Why the switch?

-gm

My first thought is that they're moving a guy coming from an offensive coordinator position to coach a defensive position. Why the switch?

-gm

The DRC article said Petersen was a 4-year letterman at DB for Air Force, so I can kinda see where he would be alright coaching them. I also didn't understand the split of CB and Safties coaches, until I looked on the SLC coaching duties and that is what TD did there also. I checked OU, UT and LSU coaching staffs and they all had basically the same coaching duties:

Head Coach

Assistant Head Coach/Runningbacks

Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach

Defensive Coordinator

Tight Ends/Recruiting Coordinator

Defensive Line Coach

Defensive Backs Coach

Wide Receivers/Passing Game Coordinator

Special Teams Coordinator/Linebackers

Offensive Line Coach

Strength & Conditioning Coordinator

SLC listed the coaches as:

www.southlakecarrolldragonsfootball.com

Todd Dodge - Head Coach

Todd Ford - Off Coord/RB

Ron Mendoza - Def Coord/LB

Robert Drake -DT

Dave Fuller - S

Tony Holmes - CB

Larry Hughes - K

Aaron Lineweaver - DE

Paul Pinson - OL

Kirk Rogers - WR

Doug Stephens - WR

Jeremy Trojacek - OL

Edited by NT80

Fair question about coaching responsibilities, but before we all get worked up let's wait till the all the staff is hired and they play at least one game next season. If conventional thinking is all anyone ever did, Dodge would have never developed his offensive scheme he runs. Now after the first game next season, all Monday morning QBs and second guessing can offically begin. :)

Remember, he recruited TX when he was at Air Force. As someone mentioned, if you can recruit for Air Force, you must be doing something right. Of course, I am not sure the student athlete at NT and AF are looking for the same thing. I cannot wait till next season begins, but even more excited about the team that coud be playing in Denton, in a new stadium in 2009!

Fair question about coaching responsibilities, but before we all get worked up let's wait till the all the staff is hired and they play at least one game next season. If conventional thinking is all anyone ever did, Dodge would have never developed his offensive scheme he runs. Now after the first game next season, all Monday morning QBs and second guessing can offically begin. :)

Where's the fun in that :blink:

There is no misprint here. The positiion assignments are true. First, there will not be a problem with cohesion between safties and corners. Much of the practice will be together. However, anyone who has played both positions can tell you there is definately a difference in playing CB and S. The angles are different, the mindset is different and the responsibilities of run vs pass are different. Not to mention, in an normal practice the positions will work together in 7 on 7 and team, maybe 30 minutes each day are spent separate from the rest of the group in position drills. Not to mention, this is what TD did at SLC in the past.

Also, didn't Peterson's bio mention he had experience on the defense side of the ball? I know he has primarly been on the offensive side, but he has coached defense in the past.

Where's the fun in that :blink:

Hell, you are right! Why the spilt responsibilities?! Just kidding.

I really can't wait till Dodge gets a couple of recruiting class under his belt and his existing players learn his schemes.

So here is a question I have, who on this staff is going to be the recruiting guru? My biggest concern for Dodge is not his coaching ability, but how well will he recruit. A few weeks before Dodge was hired, I was talking with Rick V. and I asked him what was more important, good coaching or good recruiting. His response was, "good recruits make good coaches." Obviously, they go hand in hand, but talent evaluation is the key and as BSU displayed, that does not necessarily mean 4/5 star recruits, but looking beyond the basic rating systems in place.

I would think that Coach Peterson would have come in contact with alot of players ,who would meet the academy qualifications ,but are not interested in attending a military school. This should give UNT contact with some high quality athletics.

There is no misprint here. The positiion assignments are true. First, there will not be a problem with cohesion between safties and corners. Much of the practice will be together. However, anyone who has played both positions can tell you there is definately a difference in playing CB and S. The angles are different, the mindset is different and the responsibilities of run vs pass are different. Not to mention, in an normal practice the positions will work together in 7 on 7 and team, maybe 30 minutes each day are spent separate from the rest of the group in position drills. Not to mention, this is what TD did at SLC in the past.

Good point. And remember that TD is a teacher of the game first. He will probably use more coaches, as he wants more instructional time with the players (teacher to student ratio).

I think Peterson was brought here as a recruiter, may be the new recruiting coordinator.

I think Peterson was brought here as a recruiter, may be the new recruiting coordinator.

Bingo!

Also, you know Butch LaCroix will still have a lot of influence over the safties, overall coverages and nickle package as well.

Edited by GMoney

Defence?? Are we planning on playing a few games in cheery old London?? Or, perhaps we'll play a game or two in Australia's Outback??