Breaking News

GreenBat

Three Southlake Carroll assistants leave for North Texas

Three Southlake Carroll assistants have made the move to North Texas with Todd Dodge. SLC assistants Ron Mendoza, Todd Ford and Robert Drake have each left Carroll for their new offices in Denton. Dodge previously hirred former Haltom coach Clayton George.

North Texas officials should name the entire staff in the next few days but are waiting to complete the hiring before the announcement.

At Carroll for the last three years, Ford has been Carroll’s offensive coordinator although Dodge is highly involved. Mendoza has been Carroll’s defensive coordinator.

Ford is the former offensive coordinator at Flower Mound Marcus and

Keller. Mendoza became Carroll's DC in 2004 after being linebackers coach. Mendoza previously coached at South Grand Prairie.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GrayEagleOne

What's the bio on Robert Drake?

I don't know the bio on Robert Drake but he coached defensive tackles at Southlake. I assume from that that he will be the defensive line coach. Whether it will be tackles only or include DEs will remain to be seen.

I think it is smart to bring coaches that TD knows and trusts. Think about this as well: If you are coming from another college program, you are probably taking a pay cut to come here and doing TD a favor. If you are coming from the HS ranks, you are getting a promotion and a pay raise. It helps the overall mentality of the team if the coaches are excited to be here and honestly want to be at NT. TD is not going to bring anyone here that he belives cant contribute and translate his efforts into wins.

Looks like TD is bringing HIS team with him. Can't argue their success on the HS level and they're use to WINNING. If they can accomplish the same on the 1A level.......SHAZAM

I think it's excellent he brings his coordinators and former coaches with him. That's much less time to make a playbook and develop a program when all already know the terminology and techniques and have previously worked together. Good move.

Edited by NT80

I think it is smart to bring coaches that TD knows and trusts. Think about this as well: If you are coming from another college program, you are probably taking a pay cut to come here and doing TD a favor. If you are coming from the HS ranks, you are getting a promotion and a pay raise. It helps the overall mentality of the team if the coaches are excited to be here and honestly want to be at NT. TD is not going to bring anyone here that he belives cant contribute and translate his efforts into wins.

All these coaches can stay in their same homes and not disrupt their families too. Has to be a major consideration for some.

I was a little concerned about hiring a HS coach (even though it's TD) but I was happily surprised with all the positive publicity it received. Before TD was even hired, I was questioning (mainly to myself) who would be OC and DC because I wondered if college coaches could accept working for a HS coach with no collegiate experience as HC. Now it's starting to unfold as I had feared it would with not just one, but a whole staff of former HS coaches. :blink: But, I'm just going to stop with that comment, bite my lip and hope for the best.

I was a little concerned about hiring a HS coach (even though it's TD) but I was happily surprised with all the positive publicity it received. Before TD was even hired, I was questioning (mainly to myself) who would be OC and DC because I wondered if college coaches could accept working for a HS coach with no collegiate experience as HC. Now it's starting to unfold as I had feared it would with not just one, but a whole staff of former HS coaches. :blink: But, I'm just going to stop with that comment, bite my lip and hope for the best.

Todd D. will WIN at NT!!!!!!

I will trust TD to hire the staff that he thinks will put the team in the best position to win. If it is high school coaches that he knows and is confortable with then so be it. TD already knows Ford, Mendoza, and Drake. He has worked with them the past several years so the trust level should be high and learning curve should be short. He coachd George at NT and knows him as well. TD has probably thought about the staff he would hire for months if not years. Coaches at all levels have their dream staffs assembled in their minds if they get their shot at the next level so I doubt TD just came up with the list.

Mendoza looks like a firebreather that will be an in-your-face, fire and brimstone coach that wills his players to be better than they really are. Fear as motivation can be a good thing. Ford has coached the offense at Southlake for 3 years and will be able to hit the ground running as far as terminology and schemes are considered.

Right now it looks like:

HC - Dodge

OC -

OL -

WR - George

QB - Ford

RB -

TE -

DC - Mendoza

DL - Drake

DB -

LB -

ST -

Edited by Eagle-96

You are not alone, my friend.

I'm not concerned at all about having a staff of high school coaches. We've had a staff of nothing but college experienced coaches for the last 10 years and what did we get? 3 winning seasons and a change from green to black jerseys! :) Who's to say this will or will not be successful?

I agree with you and thats why I really dont have a problem with these hirings TD is making. However I am also expecting the coaching staff to have a lot of hurdles, obstacles and be totally outcoached and lost during several games this season. We all have to realize that this is a huge promotion and step for TD and I think we need to expect the worst but hope for the best. What do you guys think?

I beleive that TD has thought long and hard about his choice of assistants. TD knows that with his HS rep and the publicity already received, he'll be scrutinized by many. UNT can be his launch pad or his sinking ship. You can bet he's well aware of what's at stake with his personnel decisions.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I agree with you and thats why I really dont have a problem with these hirings TD is making. However I am also expecting the coaching staff to have a lot of hurdles, obstacles and be totally outcoached and lost during several games this season. We all have to realize that this is a huge promotion and step for TD and I think we need to expect the worst but hope for the best. What do you guys think?

You have to crawl before you can walk, and it very well might even get worse before it gets better. We cant forget this is really HIS rookie year. TD has had incredible success, but he's no stranger to losses, and surely understands that if he's hit with them, he'll learn from them. The measure of the man will be the fact he's willing to step into a role where he could face brutal criticism this next season. Remember, Leaders take the arrows. A good coach is willing to see things through to the other side.

And if youre still in doubt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K92OVFeGgIE