Observations From A Spectator

marc_moffitt

In the past few games here at home, I have noticed that our guards have been the highest scoring players on our team. Very rarely did you see our forwards and posts score a lot of points.

Statistically, it shows up when Calvin Watson, KD, and Michael Stuns are the highest scoring guys on the team. Visually, players are taking lots of long shots, and not driving in very well or, just not doing it.

I noticed Keith Wooden had a VERY different personality and style tonight than what we have seen from him so far this year. He was much more agressive and powerful tonight, and it seemed that his confidence level was much higher tonight. It led to a very productive night form him.

Quincy played a much more agressive game tonight, it showed up in his stats

Michael Sturns had an excellent night, he has his "cold" moments, but his "hot" moments of brilliance are outweighing them greatly. You have to give credit to JJ and the coaching staff for taking a guy like that and helping him focus well and develop his thought processes. He has really made progress this season. I am proud of him.

Coach Jones said in the postgame interview that, "In the past, NT has been known for its guards."

I think a lot of us have been hoping for a "big guy" to show up and deliver big, powerful moves inside. Last year we were shown up by Yemi Nicholson from Denver. He was a big guy, and he pushed our big guys out of the way consistently.

Overall, tonight was the firt time that I have seen this team display all aspects of its talent. The TEAM played well tonight.

I think that in the past few years, we have counted on 2-3 players having a good night, if they did, we won; if they didn't, we lost. (Leonard Hopkins, Calvin Watson, Isaac Hines, etc)

I think now that we have shown that we are a "well-rounded" team that we do have a legitimate chance at being one of the top 3 teams in the conference.

Your comments please.....

Totally agree with that...

Dad and I were talking during the game about how if you had a team that had no inside game but could shoot the three against a team that had an inside game but couldn't shoot the three, you'd take the team that had the inside game bar-none. We had that going tonight most definitely. I couldn't believe how everytime the Pioneers got the ball they were looking for (and the coach was telling them to) threes, and they were hitting them! But we were just too much for them tonight, we had I believe 4 or 5 guys in double figures tonight...just a great game. I agree with you, I think UNT is the 2nd of 3rd best team in the Sun Belt and can do some damage in the tourney, I'm getting excited! Sorry for the long post.