Unt Vs. Denver

chrisfisher

NT rolls 91-79 over a bad denver team. :)

Actually, the Denver team that showed up tonight was shooting extremely well. That's the only thing that kept them in the game. I believe they made 14 3 pointers. I knew Denver was in trouble after on-fire in the first half with 48 points and were only ahead by 2 going into the half. They played the best ball they could and could not dominate us.

I just got home from the game. Some observations:

(1) This may have been one of the most complete games I have seen us play in 2 seasons. The Mean Green were on fire in so many areas. We have a VERY exciting offense. Numerous players in double digits.

(2) I (and many on this board) expressed concern that after KD returned, it could be rough sailing for a while as we tried to reintegrate this excellent player into an offense that already had great chemistry and scoring ability. Moreover, we figured KD's shot accuracy would be off for a while. All of these concerns are unfounded. Sturns, Williams, Young, Wooden, and Bell all got their points and then some AND KD got his 18 points.

(3) Quincy looked great tonight!

(4) Wooden looks like a new player with that plastic full leg brace off. He is playing with a ton of confidence, making his shots, and rebounding great. Tonight, he shot extremely well from different areas including 8-10 foot jump shots, free throws, under the bucket shots, and 1 big-time dunk. He looks twice as fast in his moves now and overall is much more athletic. This transfer is a big time SCORE for UNT!

(5) Rich Young had an all around solid game tonight. He does alot of things extremely well, and is the quiet player that anchors our team.

(6) KD shot very well tonight including numerous 3 pointers.

(7) The combination of Williams, Wooden, Sturns (or Young), Davis, and Bell was potent. I LIKE THAT LINE UP!.

(8) KD played extremely aggressive tonight and went down hard to floor at least 3 times. Damn that made us nervous. The last time he went down hard, he came up wincing in pain while holding his wrist. He was taken out of the game and a trainer examined his left wrist. I saw him tell them that he was fine, but they looked at it any way. After the game, I asked KD if he reinjured his wrist, and he said that he was "alright."

(9) Bell was very solid. He distributed the ball very well, and had a command of the offense.

(10) I haven't seen the stats but it looks like we cut down turn over significantly.

(11) We still need to work on how to respond to a full court press. There were several occasions were we got stuck in our half court and even had one 10 second violation. We seem to do best when Bell just tells everyone to get past the half court and let him work his way to half court one-on-one.

To say that we were on fire may have been an understatement. The stats were just posted to Meangreensports. Look at this!

2 Point Shots:

FG% 1st Half: 19-34 55.9% 2nd Half: 19-27 70.4% Game: 62.3%

3 Points Shots:

FG% 1st Half: 4-8 50.0% 2nd Half: 3-5 60.0% Game: 53.8%

Nice!

what's wrong with Watson? started and played 1 minute?

They said on the radio post-game show that Calvin twisted his ankle but that he will be fine for the game on Thursday. He could have still played, but we had the team depth to be able to cover for his absence in this game.

They said on the radio post-game show that Calvin twisted his ankle but that he will be fine for the game on Thursday. He could have still played, but we had the team depth to be able to cover for his absence in this game.

And that shows how much pure athletic ability and talents this teams has. We are the overall most talented team in the Belt, bar none, no question. We may not have a Bo McCaleb or Courtney Lee (sorry KD) but the depth and ability of this team is unsurpassed by any team in the Belt.

The boxscore off of MGSports says there were almost 1900 people there. Can anyone at the game confirm if this seems about right?

Considering the students are away, and we've shown a propensity to fold late in the season, that's a decent crowd.

That seems about right based on how other attendances were rated. The student section was very empty and the vast amount of attendance came from the general public. Hopefully, once students return that will not be the case.

My family was sitting in front of a nice older couple. They started asking weird questions like "Why are we the Mean Green". I thought at first that they were from Denver, but as the game went on and we talked to them more, it turns out they're just Denton residents. He is a Kansas Jayhawk fan first, but doesn't get to see much of that, and they're both big fans of College Basketball. They came to the game last week, and decided to start going to more. They said they live "right down the street".

That's the kind of folks we need for both basketball and football. The casual fan that can root for their "Home Team".

That seems about right based on how other attendances were rated. The student section was very empty and the vast amount of attendance came from the general public. Hopefully, once students return that will not be the case.

There were quite a few people there, even for it not being in the semester. Once the atletic dept starts promoting hard on campus through the UNT Daily and signs on campus, we should see 3,000+ fans

I'd have to say that this game was perhaps the most complete team effort I have ever seen. While we struggled with Denver's 3-point shooting in the first half, we made some adjustments and took control of the game in the second half. I really hope that we start getting more fans out for the games, because the team really deserves it. 2,000 for a holiday is decent, but still plenty of room for growth. Hopefully, we might see some games approach 4,000 if we keep playing excellent ball like this, especially for ULL, WKU, and UNO.

I think I see why Denver is now 1-13. For one, they only rotated like 7 or 8 players, so their bench is not deep. It also seemed like they only have like one major scoring threat, whereas we distributed the ball to everyone (5 players with double figures, many close to or above 20 pts).

I think I see why Denver is now 1-13. For one, they only rotated like 7 or 8 players, so their bench is not deep. It also seemed like they only have like one major scoring threat, whereas we distributed the ball to everyone (5 players with double figures, many close to or above 20 pts).

I sat behind the Denver bench... I don't think they brought more than 9-10 players. Which, by looking at the game stats, they played everyone they brought. Great game!!! Ended up bringing a buddy. It was his first game and he really enjoyed it...

Does RV and the Prez usually attend? This is the first time I've seen them there, but honestly I'm not looking for them.