Is Riley Dodge A College Qb?

GreenBat

Is Riley Dodge a college QB?

Scout.com's Jamie Newberg just said on FSN's halftime show that he sees Carroll QB Riley Dodge playing another position in college.

No doubt Dodge will be recruited as a receiver by many programs. But I wouldn't rule him out as a quarterback despite the fact that he doesn't have the prototypical QB size. He definitely has the smarts, accuracy and touch to do it.

I could see Dodge playing QB for a program like Utah or Missouri where they've had success with athletic QBs in spread offenses.

The wild card: Will his dad be one of the coaches recruiting him? Todd Dodge will seriously consider any Division I-A head coaching opportunities, especially if Carroll wins state again this season.

I'm just speculating here, but it'd make a lot of sense for SMU to woo Dodge if new AD Steve Orsini decides to can Phil Bennett. That's a hire that would create tremendous buzz for the Ponies, and I guarantee Dodge could recruit offensive players and score a lot of points in C-USA.

Riley Dodge might be able to start at QB for SMU right now.

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 9:21 PM (E-mail this entry) | | Comments (1)

Comments

After watching Riley last night, i dont even think this should be a topic. Even someone who doesnt know much about football could figure this one out. The kid is a star. He Will be able to pick his college. The only thing i see wrong is his scrambling holding the ball with one hand way away from his body. A smart defense is gonna slap that out and could cost the dragons in a big game. Its the only flaw i see with his game. the kid is a phenomenal high school talent.

Posted by: david blanchard | September 15, 2006 01:43 PM

Some of you may think I'm completely off base, but I'm seeing some comparisons between Riley and Scott Hall. UNT was the only school that was interested in Scott as a QB, as others thought his arm wasn't strong enough, his accuracy wasn't "pin-point enough" (is that a real term?), and just basically didn't have what it takes.

But time and again, Riley has proven he just gets it done. I agree with the ball-carrying flaw: he repeatedly ran with the ball tucked under the arm closest to the defender. But that can be quickly and easily corrected.

He could stand to bulk up a bit once he gets to college, but I see Riley as being a success...especially if he comes here. Having said that, I'm still under the belief that the best players should earn their positions, and if someone else i.e. Wilson beats him out, then Wilson gets the job.

I like Riley, because he "gets it done". Not necessarily because of his relation to Todd Dodge.

NEW SUBJECT:

Anyone else watching Chase Daniel, former TD quarterback and two-time 5A player of the year, play in the Sun Bowl? This kid is just a frosh, and is looking damn good. It excites me to know that he is a product of SLC/TD.

-gm

NEW SUBJECT:

Anyone else watching Chase Daniel, former TD quarterback and two-time 5A player of the year, play in the Sun Bowl? This kid is just a frosh, and is looking damn good. It excites me to know that he is a product of SLC/TD.

Don't forget about Wasson either. There is a reason TD is known for developing QBs imagine what one thats been with him for 18 years can do...

He could stand to bulk up a bit once he gets to college, but I see Riley as being a success...especially if he comes here.

Don't forget that Riley is only a junior and will fill out more between now and the time he reports to his chosen university. Lord knows I did and still am!

Is Riley Dodge a college QB?

Scout.com's Jamie Newberg just said on FSN's halftime show that he sees Carroll QB Riley Dodge playing another position in college.

No doubt Dodge will be recruited as a receiver by many programs. But I wouldn't rule him out as a quarterback despite the fact that he doesn't have the prototypical QB size. He definitely has the smarts, accuracy and touch to do it.

I could see Dodge playing QB for a program like Utah or Missouri where they've had success with athletic QBs in spread offenses.

The wild card: Will his dad be one of the coaches recruiting him? Todd Dodge will seriously consider any Division I-A head coaching opportunities, especially if Carroll wins state again this season.

I'm just speculating here, but it'd make a lot of sense for SMU to woo Dodge if new AD Steve Orsini decides to can Phil Bennett. That's a hire that would create tremendous buzz for the Ponies, and I guarantee Dodge could recruit offensive players and score a lot of points in C-USA.

Comments

After watching Riley last night, i dont even think this should be a topic. Even someone who doesnt know much about football could figure this one out. The kid is a star. He Will be able to pick his college. The only thing i see wrong is his scrambling holding the ball with one hand way away from his body. A smart defense is gonna slap that out and could cost the dragons in a big game. Its the only flaw i see with his game. the kid is a phenomenal high school talent.

Posted by: david blanchard | September 15, 2006 01:43 PM

Some of you may think I'm completely off base, but I'm seeing some comparisons between Riley and Scott Hall. UNT was the only school that was interested in Scott as a QB, as others thought his arm wasn't strong enough, his accuracy wasn't "pin-point enough" (is that a real term?), and just basically didn't have what it takes.

But time and again, Riley has proven he just gets it done. I agree with the ball-carrying flaw: he repeatedly ran with the ball tucked under the arm closest to the defender. But that can be quickly and easily corrected.

He could stand to bulk up a bit once he gets to college, but I see Riley as being a success...especially if he comes here. Having said that, I'm still under the belief that the best players should earn their positions, and if someone else i.e. Wilson beats him out, then Wilson gets the job.

I like Riley, because he "gets it done". Not necessarily because of his relation to Todd Dodge.

NEW SUBJECT:

-gm

Well technically hes a sophomore (05' grad like me) but ya, i guess hes a red shirt.

..........................................................E

Even in just Tim MacMahon's speculation, why all the "what if" SMU talk now? We can "what if" anything till the cows come home, now can't we?:)

"What if" it takes UNT 5 HFC's in 9 years to get into the BCS Championship Series just like it did the Boise State Broncos (GO BRONCOS!)? "What if" SMU put some resources together and bought our main campus in Denton making it SMU-Northern Exposure? I know how utterly silly and ridiculous!

Only thing SMU seems to have ever affected us is getting in at least 2 conferences that I can think of. SMU has Phil Bennett for another year and he's a pretty darn good coach who just might be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Anyone think Todd Dodge might even look at that scenario that a very well respected Phil Bennett is right in the midde of now?

HERE WE GO AGAIN................. :lol: Hayden Fry has been head football coach at both SMU and UNT. Anyone else want to venture a guess as to what Fry might tell Todd Dodge if this very remote chance or scenario of SMU-comes-a'-callin' in Denton to snatch Todd Dodge away from us even materialized? The best thing with this happening would be that Todd Dodge would get a rather hefty pay raise in Denton because I don't think even our leaders would want to lose face to losing Dodge to SMU over a couple hundred thousand bucks.

Now if $MU want$ to get downright $illy about all this most unlikley projected scenario McMachon has brought up (albeit an unrealistic one to even consider at this juncture of Todd Dodge as he begins a new career as a D1-A head football coach); yet, if $MU made a most unrealistic (for a non-BCS program such as theirs) finanicial offer to T.D. that would be another thing.

But FWIW and something to consider with what seems to be the moral personna of Todd Dodge the Man that we are all beginnning to observe as the weeks go by, he is (after all) a "PK"; that is, a "preacher's kid" with his dad being a Methodist minister where in most environments as that one would usually be taught that it's just not always about money in one's life and for darn sure money should be never become one's God. Seems like some SMU'ers (and, who knows, maybe even a handfulf of UNT'ers) could learn a little something from that Sunday School lesson.

I still defer to my signature below and will till those cows do come home: :thumbsup:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plumm, that reply by Timmy Mack was from months ago - when he was campaigning for Dodge to take a job at the collegiate level period... I am guessing that the poster put this post up to talk about Riley as a QB, not whether or not Dodge should have come to NT instead of SMU.

Plumm, that reply by Timmy Mack was from months ago - when he was campaigning for Dodge to take a job at the collegiate level period... I am guessing that the poster put this post up to talk about Riley as a QB, not whether or not Dodge should have come to NT instead of SMU.

Thanks stebo..................my bad. :( (I've also always been an admirer of Timmy Macks journalistic work as I know many of you out there have). Guess there are just some subjects that are a bit sensitive to some of our old fart NT alums?:)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Thanks stebo..................my bad. :( (I've also always been an admirer of Timmy Macks journalistic work as I know many of you out there have). Guess there are just some subjects that are a bit sensitive to some of our old fart NT alums?:)

No prob Plumm, the EC's of the world gotta watch each other's backs, teehee... y'all getting busy over there for January yet? Things are starting to heat up at UOP... makes my job a LOT easier!

I guess UNT stole SMUt's potential buzz!

I guess UNT stole SMUt's potential buzz!

:lol:

I think Riley Dodge will be a very good college QB if he's in the right system, and I think we know of one particular system that might be just what the doctor ordered for Riley Dodge's future college career. B)

Does anyone have access to the personal stats on Riley, ie, his, height, weight, 40 yard speed, passing arm strength, velocity of his passes, how he throws the long ball, etc, etc, etc, that you could share with all of us? (Thanks in advance).