New Era - New Spirit Ideas

trud1966

Guys, when it comes to helmets, unis, logos, etc, Im usually the guy that will speak against borrowing someone elses idea... However, I thought about this idea once only to find out that Auburn already does it. Screw em. We should consider this for UNT football pre-games. Even though they are the Auburn "Tigers", they have what they refer to as The "War Eagle", (a trained bird with a professional handler) fly into the stadium circle around several times, and down the center of the field to it's handler. Went to a game once, the people go nuts over this and get unbelievably fired up! It's a great ploy to get people in the stands to be a part of this tradition. In addition, it gets kids really interested. Think of the potentional. If it caught on, you could tour the bird around to local elemetary schools, get kids on the "junior eagles" team, etc. Below is a link of some videos the Auburns War Eagle... Thoughts?????

Edited by trud1966

When I was on campus (1990-1997) and involved with the Talons, we explored this. At the time we were trying to better the game experience any way possible. We were in the midst of the move back to D1-A. 15,000 fans in attendance was a lofty goal at the time. Helwig even did some research for us on this issue. Here were the problems.

-The cost of mainatining an eagle was very high. Housing, training and keeping the darn thing alive was going to cost a ton.

-Bald Eagles were out of the question because of their protected status. We would have to hire a certified "bird man" to make sure the Bald Eagle was never in danger.

-Other Eagles seem to have less alure.

-We couldn't some up with a humane way to make the Eagle green.

Seriuosly, we did look a this idea. The plan was to have it on display near the Student Union during the week and at Fouts during the games. However, the price tag associated with it was prohibitive.

Our only hope was to "loan" one from a zoo or other "bird dealer" during the games and it never happened so the idea was dropped.

First of all. I think this is a wonderful idea/concept.

Decades ago, North Texas used to own an Eagle (or was it a hawk), and someone with the spirit organization used to handle it/bring it to the games.

I noticed that the Eagle that they used is a Bald Eagle. I don't even want to think about what sort of federal rules/regulations/paperwork etc. we would have to go through in order to get permission to do the same thing.

Whoever wanted to make this happen would have to understand that they would basically be on their own as far as being in charge of the care of the bird, and it's home. Because FFR can tell you just how responsible (not!) the current spirit groups are regarding our current (and more durable) spirit icons.

FFR also told me that they once checked into this. And not only is there strict federals regs. regarding Bald Eagle, but you also must have a "falconer's license" to handle the bird, and that takes 7 years.

This was decades before my time, but if I remember my Talons history correctly, we had a devil of a time keeping those birds alive when we had the mascot at the games. We went thru alot of Eagles that just up and died on us, one or two before they even made it to a single game.

This was decades before my time, but if I remember my Talons history correctly, we had a devil of a time keeping those birds alive when we had the mascot at the games. We went thru alot of Eagles that just up and died on us, one or two before they even made it to a single game.

We could steal Bevo and dress/paint him like an eagle.

Why not just put an albino squirrel on the 50 yard line and wait a moment or two. I'm sure some sort of bird of prey will show up. It'd be much cheaper than "owning" a bald eagle etc and the last time I checked albino squirrels aren't regulated by anyone so there won't be any red tape. Plus we could dress the squirrel in a tiny squirrel jersey which would be a replica of that weeks opposing team. Talk about a show the kids would love.

(I for one would make it in prior to kick-off for that. Not to mention the extra tickets we'd sell to PETA each week. Truly a win-win situation.)

Why not just put an albino squirrel on the 50 yard line and wait a moment or two. I'm sure some sort of bird of prey will show up. It'd be much cheaper than "owning" a bald eagle etc and the last time I checked albino squirrels aren't regulated by anyone so there won't be any red tape. Plus we could dress the squirrel in a tiny squirrel jersey which would be a replica of that weeks opposing team. Talk about a show the kids would love.

(I for one would make it in prior to kick-off for that. Not to mention the extra tickets we'd sell to PETA each week. Truly a win-win situation.)

I freaking love this idea.

First of all. I think this is a wonderful idea/concept.

Decades ago, North Texas used to own an Eagle (or was it a hawk), and someone with the spirit organization used to handle it/bring it to the games.

I noticed that the Eagle that they used is a Bald Eagle. I don't even want to think about what sort of federal rules/regulations/paperwork etc. we would have to go through in order to get permission to do the same thing.

Whoever wanted to make this happen would have to understand that they would basically be on their own as far as being in charge of the care of the bird, and it's home. Because FFR can tell you just how responsible (not!) the current spirit groups are regarding our current (and more durable) spirit icons.

FFR also told me that they once checked into this. And not only is there strict federals regs. regarding Bald Eagle, but you also must have a "falconer's license" to handle the bird, and that takes 7 years.

I realize it's a longshot. Just when the idea came to me, I would never consider UNT to OWN the bird. That would be like UNT owning the firworks and RV actually being the one to light the fuses at the end of the game. NUTS. It would only make sense to contract it out a professional handler that already works with bird. Find out what the guy charges to come do Denton for 5 home games to fly his bird into the stadium. Nobody is going to boo the thing if it isnt a "Bald Eagle". Theres a tons of eagle species out there, all very powerful looking. If you found a trainer said he do it, but it's a Golden Eagle, you guys would say no to that? MeanGreenFreak also said there was no 'humane" way to make the bird Green. Dude, tell me your kidding. Tell me that wasnt actually an argument against the idea. You guys ACTUALLY considered a way to paint a bird? Theres the reason why you contract this out. Stick to ringing the bell and driving the funny car.

Edited by trud1966

I realize it's a longshot. Just when the idea came to me, I would never consider UNT to OWN the bird. That would be like UNT owning the firworks and RV actually being the one to light the fuses at the end of the game. NUTS. It would only make sense to contract it out a professional handler that already works with bird. Find out what the guy charges to come do Denton for 5 home games to fly his bird into the stadium. Nobody is going to boo the thing if it isnt a "Bald Eagle". Theres a tons of eagle species out there, all very powerful looking. If you found a trainer said he do it, but it's a Golden Eagle, you guys would say no to that? MeanGreenFreak also said there was no 'humane" way to make the bird Green. Dude, tell me your kidding. Tell me that wasnt actually an argument against the idea. You guys ACTUALLY considered a way to paint a bird? Theres the reason why you contract this out.

Good points. I'd love to see it.

why does it HAVE to be a bald eagle??? i think it would be understandable to folks if it wasnt. in fact... they have/had an eagle display in the environmental science building that wasnt a bald eagle.... i think it would be ok. yeah, i think it would be neat to see. obviously, no spirit group currently on campus is responsible enough to take care of the thing. maybe the exes or the AD could be in charge of this idea?

oh yeah... and DO NOT paint the bird!!!

Edited by MrStrange62

We could hire Darryl Dickey to dress up in a costume and strap a thousand helium balloons to him in order to "fly" him into the stadium. As a fundraiser, we could sell pea shooters and bb guns to shoot at the balloons as he floated above Fouts Field...

efly.jpg

Make sure it is a BLACK costume......with an eagle-beak mask.....

When I was on campus (1990-1997) and involved with the Talons, we explored this. At the time we were trying to better the game experience any way possible. We were in the midst of the move back to D1-A. 15,000 fans in attendance was a lofty goal at the time. Helwig even did some research for us on this issue. Here were the problems.

-The cost of mainatining an eagle was very high. Housing, training and keeping the darn thing alive was going to cost a ton.

-Bald Eagles were out of the question because of their protected status. We would have to hire a certified "bird man" to make sure the Bald Eagle was never in danger.

-Other Eagles seem to have less alure.

-We couldn't some up with a humane way to make the Eagle green.

Seriuosly, we did look a this idea. The plan was to have it on display near the Student Union during the week and at Fouts during the games. However, the price tag associated with it was prohibitive.

Our only hope was to "loan" one from a zoo or other "bird dealer" during the games and it never happened so the idea was dropped.

Any chance of working together with the Fort Worth Zoo? Then again, TCU may have something to say about that.

North Texas did, at one time, have an eagle that was kept in a large cage at the top of the hill by the old golf course clubhouse.

Guys, when it comes to helmets, unis, logos, etc, Im usually the guy that will speak against borrowing someone elses idea... However, I thought about this idea once only to find out that Auburn already does it. Screw em. We should consider this for UNT football pre-games. Even though they are the Auburn "Tigers", they have what they refer to as The "War Eagle", (a trained bird with a professional handler) fly into the stadium circle around several times, and down the center of the field to it's handler. Went to a game once, the people go nuts over this and get unbelievably fired up! It's a great ploy to get people in the stands to be a part of this tradition. In addition, it gets kids really interested. Think of the potentional. If it caught on, you could tour the bird around to local elemetary schools, get kids on the "junior eagles" team, etc. Below is a link of some videos the Auburns War Eagle... Thoughts?????

Awsome idea! I know something similar was done previously but I think the Talons handled all of that and the Talons today are a shell of the great spirit organizion of the 70s. I think any eagle would work. Fort Worth Zoo seems like the obvious place to start. Pay them to come to the games...zoos are always begging for money. Corporate sponsorships may be one way to pay for it. How about a war tiger and...just kidding. :D BTW can the Talons be fixed???

Awsome idea! I know something similar was done previously but I think the Talons handled all of that and the Talons today are a shell of the great spirit organizion of the 70s. I think any eagle would work. Fort Worth Zoo seems like the obvious place to start. Pay them to come to the games...zoos are always begging for money. Corporate sponsorships may be one way to pay for it. How about a war tiger and...just kidding. :D BTW can the Talons be fixed???

Exactly, think of Public Relations Value of the idea. UNT helping to fund the program (Zoos, conservations, etc) that educate people and protect the very type of bird is our Mascot.

Edited by trud1966

Guest GrayEagleOne

Back in the 50s NT had a live eagle that was kept at the golf course clubhouse. where the Radisson now stands. The cage was rather stark and not nearly large enough for a bird of that size. We decided to give him to Forest Park Zoo in Fort Worth with the understanding that we could come get him on game day.

In 1956 when I was president of the Rally Club (the forerummer to the Talons), I used to drive to Fort Worth on gameday Saturday and bring him to Denton in a cage that was about 6x6x4. I made a trip around the track at the stadium and parked the trailer in fromt of the student section. We toyed with the idea of circling the track after each touchdown but decided against it.

I'm told that the tradition died becasue the eagle (which may not have been an eagle) died.

Why not hire these guys??? They do the bird show at the State Fair so they are already in the area for part of the fall. There busisness is bird of prey flyover a crowd!

http://www.naturalencounters.com/

Good Idea, I considered those guys but couldnt remember their names. Problem is they're based out of Florida. Probably wouldnt be practical to fly the guy in every other week to do the entry. However, it might be worth asking them of they knew someone in their line of work that might be closer and be interested in the idea. I'm willing to make some calls and put the numbers and the idea in front of UNT. Thanks for the help Baby Arm.

During the Matt Simon era, the team along with Coach Simon got involved with an organization called "Last Chance Forever" or something like that. It was a group in the Aubrey area that rehabiliated eagles. Simon and some members of the team had their pictures made with the eagle at the "farm" and the picture was in the D R-C.

I bet there is some kind of bird handler in the area that would love to provide a eagle flyover on game day.

But be prepared for the "dangers" involved. Remember the photos of the little girl shown on the scoreboard the victim of tortilla misfires ?

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Why not hire these guys??? They do the bird show at the State Fair so they are already in the area for part of the fall. There busisness is bird of prey flyover a crowd!

http://www.naturalencounters.com/

I spoke to this guy already.....:

Steve_Martin.gif

......Steve Martin of the Natural Encounters organization about this very subject back in 1990 after one of his shows in Dallas and you would have thought I called his mother a whore or something. He chewed my and three girls from Talons asses out in front of about 20 people down in front of the stage after we asked him for some information on the subject and he all but threw us out. You DO NOT WANT to contact this man about any bird of prey being placed on display for the sake of being an object of amusement. You will not like what he has to say to you.

You might could find a Falconer with a suitable bird to hire? Outside of that I'd simply say there's just too much to keep up with without a much larger budget than we currently have. And as Silver has already implied, we DO NOT have the people needed to stay on top of it. We are having a hard enough time keeping up with the few traditional items we still have remaining, and while biting my lip as hard as I can, that's all I have to say about that. <_<

Back in the late 80's I wanted to start an Eagle rehab/adoption center on campus and have it sponsored through the Fort Worth zoo. But I was desparately trying to finish "Boomer" the Cannon's first restoration and didn't have the time to complete the study of it, plus the money to do it was going to be out of this world. Maybe some day? It seems to me that during or after the Centennial North Texas or the UNT Health Science Center actually sponsored one of the Bald Eagle facilities at the Fort Worth zoo, but I can't remember when? Maybe someone here recalls when that was?

Rick

Maybe we can splice genes together and grow a green eagle. Sure people would think we're nuts, but at least it's more humane than painting a bird green.

Another crazy thought I had - I used to fly remote controlled, model airplanes and one time, a guy showed me an ornithopter. It actually resembled a bird pretty well. Maybe there's a RC enthusiast/pilot in Denton that would be able to build(with UNT funding, ofcourse) and fly an RC Green Eagle.

Okay, I shouldn't be up posting this late at night.