Link To Explain The Unt Branding Changes... And Color!

GreenBlooded1

Read this link and then get over it...... you can not change the branding for a company -- much less an entire university overnight.

http://web2.unt.edu/news/story.cfm?story=9188

Here is just a tiny snippit:

...From this point forward, the updated marks will change the look of UNT's academic and university publications, university letterheads, faculty and staff business cards, university signage, UNT advertising, T-shirt logos and athletic uniforms.

The new words are selected to position UNT as a place to "Discover the power of ideas" and to "Discover the power of green." (And now, the UNT green will be a more vibrant shade.)

...a couple of other excerpts that might help around here today...

Is it the eagle or the Mean Green?

The eagle is still our mascot. But we’re the only school with the moniker “Mean Green.” Many schools, and even professional teams, have eagle mascots, but no one else calls themselves the Mean Green.

Will we change our look in the future?

Not for a very long time. We expect the new marks to be used for years to come. Standardizations, consistency and repetition are the keys to establish the respected reputation that matches our quality.

This all sounds very final and all, but I don't believe that when RV took over, the scripted North Texas was not part of the branding and official word marks. He just made his own decision about it, and put the scripted North Texas on the helmets.

Actually during the branding campaign, Alums were asked both on-line and via the North Texan for their input. The call was made for people to get on-line and vote for their favorite version of the script lettering. I did just that. This is not a new thing... like any branding campaign it takes litterally years to develop. Then it has to be implemented in stages so that the University will not loose money. Things printed with the old look have to be used up before new can be ordered... if not then they are just throwing money down the drain. I have an Advertising/Marketing background and negoitate and purchase printing for a living.... I know that there is more behind the scenes than most people realize.

As far as the green yes look for the unis to be different this year..... as for the logo - they are keeping that a secret. All I can say is be patient, standardization will follow but it just takes time. -- I for one am just thankful that they decided to ditch that horrid navy blue and copper!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

This all sounds very final and all, but I don't believe that when RV took over, the scripted North Texas was not part of the branding and official word marks. He just made his own decision about it, and put the scripted North Texas on the helmets.

When RV did that, the University was all over the place with it's image, from the top down.

...That is no longer the case today.

When RV did that, the University was all over the place with it's image, from the top down.

...That is no longer the case today.

I would be willing to bet that if some monied alum called up RV and said "put an interlocking NT on the helmet", RV would make another "executive decision" just like he did with the scripted North Texas.

I would be willing to bet that if some monied alum called up RV and said "put an interlocking NT on the helmet", RV would make another "executive decision" just like he did with the scripted North Texas.

So long as that monied alum's consideration for such a request went straight for our new stadium... I'd be OK with that... LOL!

Actually during the branding campaign, Alums were asked both on-line and via the North Texan for their input. The call was made for people to get on-line and vote for their favorite version of the script lettering.

They (UNT administration) gave alumni and students a 7 day window to "vote" before the official announcement was made. They actually gave the alums the middle finger on the whole deal. Ask FFR.

I will see if I can find the scanned images of the documents UNT turned over. It illustrates how much of a sham this whole thing was.

From the UNT branding site -

WM_D_2Line_Md_355.gif

I think a star on the helmet, for those that want it, is perfectly acceptable. It's part of an official wordmark already. Well sort of.

I've always liked the star on the helmet idea... but the swooping eagle is so "iconic" that it really would be the better choice from a "who are those guys?" standpoint long term.

They (UNT administration) gave alumni and students a 7 day window to "vote" before the official announcement was made. They actually gave the alums the middle finger on the whole deal. Ask FFR.

I will see if I can find the scanned images of the documents UNT turned over. It illustrates how much of a sham this whole thing was.

As it turned out the new logos are growing on me and I have since bought much of the gear with them on.

As for the Copper and Blue, at the time they came out I was one of the, and at times felt like the ONLY, vocal individuals against them. I screamed RAPE of our traditions to everyone who would listen to me. And as there always is, there were people like some here on this board that have little respect for our traditions and kept reminding me that "It's being done to sell more shirts", or "Get on board with your university, besides, everyone else is doing it(adding other school's colors)". Most alumni I knew however were furious over it. And as I told helwig and co that the gear wouldn't sell, it didn't and that spoke louder than the guest column I wrote for the DRC about the subject. In the end it was a bad move and it not only cost us in recognition it also cost us some bad blood with some suppliers as well.

And even though I feel that the alumni didn't get to be as involved in '04 as I would have like to have had I do know the university cares and does listen to our requests. I'll never forget the day that I met Deborah Lilieart of the URCM department. Bobby Ray introduced us in New Orleans in '03 and I simply went straight for an answer asking, "What's the new logos going to look like?". Even though she and I had never spoke before that day she immediately said almost with a chuckle, "Rick, I can't tell you just yet, but I can GUARANTEE you that they won't be BLUE and ORANGE".

It only took 9 years but the change was well worth the wait for this alumn.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

The University put up the "appearance" that they wanted our input; but trust Good Ken, FFRick, and myself when we say - the suggestion box was not open to any outside ideas. The block lettering still looks like crap on a helmet but the University gave RV no choice, it was either block lettering or UNT or an Eagle - the latter two being unacceptable so we are stuck with block lettering that looks TERRIBLE on a helmet. It really is a pretty sad statement when we have the worst looking helmet in the Belt and IA sans Oregon.