Eagles Or Mean Green?

Green Mean

Hey guys...I'm a UNT student (almost to be an alum) but I was just wondering why and how did we go from the North Texas Eagles to the North Texas Mean Green? I believe it was somewhat recent but growing up my whole life in the DFW area I always knew it to be the North Texas Eagles. I thought keeping it as the eagles seemed and sounded better....not to mention its what the school has been known for its whole life. Sure we're known as the mean green as well but wouldnt it have been better if it was like a side nickname? Kinda like the 12th man(or even these days i see maroon out) at A&M, the steeler's terrible towl, the cowboys doomsday defense, or maybe like UT's hook em horns. I dont know but i think we should go back to the North Texas Eagles but another side cool nickname can be the mean green. What do you guys think?

one aspect of it is... its very unique, one of the most in college athletics. i think i read somewhere, that the number of schools with the name "eagles" reached into the hundreds. i really like it, and i think it sets us apart. of course you should know that it dates back to the mean joe green days... im sure some of these older fellas could elaborate better on the exact time and reason it changed. but i think we should stick with it 100%. alabama is the crimson tide, with a elephant mascot. tulane is the green wave, with a pelican mascot... and we are the MEAN GREEN with an eagle mascot. get it???

I'm very excited that there are so many new posters to the board. Welcome to all.

However, because of it I think it speaks volumes on how pitiful our history is of educating our athletic and traditional past to others who are currently at school. Current students have little knowledge of our past successes. And much of this stems from the lack of concern over our traditions and how little attention has been given to their passing on down.

Without rich traditions and school pride from day's of old, reagardless of what you think is old, newer folks have little to go on with concerning on campus events such as athletics and their venues. Without that they usually don't get involved on campus and eventually move on in life after graduation never to return and donate back to their school. Hopefully this is being addressed as loud as possible in fish camp each new school year.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Guest GrayEagleOne

Indeed, the Mean Green nickname was coined by Sidney Sue Smith Graham for the North Texas defense. I was a classmate of Sidney Sue and Fred and remember the story firsthand.

By the way, we still are the Eagles. We were one of two Eagles for a while in Division IA and its equivalent. North Texas was the second Eagle mascot in the highest division after Boston College. Southern Mississippi later changed to the Golden Eagles and recently Eastern Michigan changed to the Eagles when they dropped the Hurons to be PC

There are other Eagles in the lower divisions of the NCAA and hundreds of high schools with that mascot.

But I never knew what a Mean Green really looked like until FFR showed me. Thanks!

I'd never heard the story about the basketball players. I've always heard the Sidney Graham version. It is also my understanding that originally MEAN GREEN was the nickname for the defense.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with this mascot/nickname concept. Our mascot is the Eagle, and our nickname is the Mean Green. If nothing else, the fact that we wear green should make it obvious why we call ourselves the "MEAN GREEN".

Indeed, the Mean Green nickname was coined by Sidney Sue Smith Graham for the North Texas defense. I was a classmate of Sidney Sue and Fred and remember the story firsthand.

By the way, we still are the Eagles. We were one of two Eagles for a while in Division IA and its equivalent. North Texas was the second Eagle mascot in the highest division after Boston College. Southern Mississippi later changed to the Golden Eagles and recently Eastern Michigan changed to the Eagles when they dropped the Hurons to be PC

There are other Eagles in the lower divisions of the NCAA and hundreds of high schools with that mascot.

But I never knew what a Mean Green really looked like until FFR showed me. Thanks!

Jack aka GEO, you are truly one of our Mean Green Nation's national treasures. If you will, whats the skinny on NT Ex Mrs. Lamar Hunt who I believe you and/or your lovely wife, Jessica, told me you all also knew when yall were galavanting around Denton?

Hope you and the Mrs. have a very Happy New Year! Looking forward to seeing yall soon.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Our history is awesome, unique and rich.... truely the school needs to do more to keep the history and traditions alive in new students. FFR -- Personally I think that that was the best "Mean Green" Eagle ever.... beat the cartoon Scrappy hands down. Long live the "Mean Green" Eagles of UNT!!!

one aspect of it is... its very unique, one of the most in college athletics. i think i read somewhere, that the number of schools with the name "eagles" reached into the hundreds. i really like it, and i think it sets us apart. of course you should know that it dates back to the mean joe green days... im sure some of these older fellas could elaborate better on the exact time and reason it changed. but i think we should stick with it 100%. alabama is the crimson tide, with a elephant mascot. tulane is the green wave, with a pelican mascot... and we are the MEAN GREEN with an eagle mascot. get it???

Great examples......of schools with horrible mascots. If we were the Elephants, Pelicans or Weasels, yes by all means, let's divert everyones attention and use another slogan. An Eagle is one of the coolest mascots a team could have. I have already gone over what the Eagle represents. If not mistaken, isnt it so revered that it is protected from hunting, the official bird of the US of A!? I just feel we should acentuate the strength, speed, uniqueness, power and grace of the Eagle to represent UNT FB. The mean green is vague, non-committal and down right wimpish in my opinion. Know I'm stepping on toes here but my opinion.

The constant efforts within UNT to change our nickname, colors and helmet demonstrate a lack of confidence and tradition. We're much better off sticking with exactly what we have today than to embark on yet another change. The marketing power of a school that has kept these things constant for decades, like UT, Nebraska and Penn State, is worth millions.

Great examples......of schools with horrible mascots. If we were the Elephants, Pelicans or Weasels, yes by all means, let's divert everyones attention and use another slogan. An Eagle is one of the coolest mascots a team could have. I have already gone over what the Eagle represents. If not mistaken, isnt it so revered that it is protected from hunting, the official bird of the US of A!? I just feel we should acentuate the strength, speed, uniqueness, power and grace of the Eagle to represent UNT FB. The mean green is vague, non-committal and down right wimpish in my opinion. Know I'm stepping on toes here but my opinion.

My opinion is of the opposite. My class had a chance to be a part of the selection process for my high school's colors/mascot, and they had a big presentation/voting process complete with a marketing expert talking about the goods/bads of some of the animals. I very clearly remembering him stating, and I agree, that the Eagle is one of the hardest mascots to deal with because of limited marketing options. It's been, like, 13 years since then but the gist of that meant that all Eagles look pretty much the same, and it is one of the harder mascots to work new/original slogans and catch-phrases with.

I'm not saying we should abandon the Eagles, I love our affiliation with it and Scrappy, and am proud of it. But I think the call "Mean Green" provides many options that are unique to UNT; and I'm not ashamed or disgusted by it at all, unlike many of you have said previously. I just don't see any weird/negative connotations with the call of the Mean Green.

...in fact, I think it's hands down better than the Elephant/Crimson Tide duo that Alabama has. To one-up them on the mascot side, I don't think the "Elephant" has nearly the intimidation/presence compared to the Eagle.

Keep 'm both!

-gm

Edited by greenminer

I don't see what the big argument is.

The SCHOOL MASCOT is the Eagle. Always has been. Always will be.

The Nickname for our Athletics is "Mean Green" (though, luckily, the truth in advertising people have given us a break). I'm not sure how that is confusing or a problem for people.

Mean Green is different, easy to market, and probably the MOST RECOGNIZED North Texas identifier.

Can this conversation please die?

Ya'll need a hobby to keep yourselves occupied during the off-season! LOL!

Edited by yyz28

Being an alien from outside Texas, it's only been 3 years that I've known of UNT and its location.

During the past year we've had inquiries as to where our son is attending college. When we respond with "University of North Texas", their first response is, "The 'Mean Green', now is that in Dallas?".

Reading on this board of the passion those of you who are alums exhibit, I've started noting to myself the common thread that those outside the state of Texas and the program recognize. It is 'MEAN GREEN'.

Most of our family, friends, neighbors and press still can't get the school name correct. Most don't know that our mascot is an Eagle, most still think it's in Dallas, but they all know 'Mean Green'.

I don't see what the big argument is.

The SCHOOL MASCOT is the Eagle. Always has been. Always will be.

The Nickname for our Athletics is "Mean Green" (though, luckily, the truth in advertising people have given us a break). I'm not sure how that is confusing or a problem for people.

Mean Green is different, easy to market, and probably the MOST RECOGNIZED North Texas identifier.

Can this conversation please die?

Ya'll need a hobby to keep yourselves occupied during the off-season! LOL!

Its obvious why its there. We were always officially the North Texas Eagles. Our nickname and mascot were the eagles. But all of a sudden it got changed because of some marketing reason or campaign? If you ask me thats pretty sorry and you're kind of going against the schools history and tradition. The tigers is pretty common at LSU...why dont we change that name? KState wildcats? Texas A&M Aggies? Those are all common names dude. But hey since they are common lets just change it right? If its for marketing purposes then trust me it aint gonna last long if the product on the field/court is sorry....thats a fact. Marketing is something that people can do if people just think about it...heck almost every school out there has a marketing program.

Its obvious why its there. We were always officially the North Texas Eagles. Our nickname and mascot were the eagles. But all of a sudden it got changed because of some marketing reason or campaign? If you ask me thats pretty sorry and you're kind of going against the schools history and tradition. The tigers is pretty common at LSU...why dont we change that name? KState wildcats? Texas A&M Aggies? Those are all common names dude. But hey since they are common lets just change it right? If its for marketing purposes then trust me it aint gonna last long if the product on the field/court is sorry....thats a fact. Marketing is something that people can do if people just think about it...heck almost every school out there has a marketing program.

We've had the "mean green" moniker since the 60's. This isn't a sudden change.

...most still think it's in Dallas, but they all know 'Mean Green'.

Surprises me that "outsiders" think NT is in Dallas. It wouldn't surprise me that they couldn't name Denton, but I would think they would say something like, "some little town outside of Dallas."

Of course, we could then get into the debate about whether or not Denton is a suburb or part of the Metroplex. I tend to think of Denton as somewhat self-contained and NOT part of the Metroplex, but UNT is the "Leading University of the Metroplex" after all.

We've had the "mean green" moniker since the 60's. This isn't a sudden change.

No I know its been around since the 60's...but i'm talking about OFFICIALLY. A&M has always been known for the 12th man...lets just call them the Texas A&M 12th men? I think the Mean Green is a perfect side nickname. Maybe its just me and i'm thinking too much of this but I think when you alter some kind of history and/or tradition like this it needs to be discussed as to why and what was the thought process behind this.

Surprises me that "outsiders" think NT is in Dallas. It wouldn't surprise me that they couldn't name Denton, but I would think they would say something like, "some little town outside of Dallas."

Of course, we could then get into the debate about whether or not Denton is a suburb or part of the Metroplex. I tend to think of Denton as somewhat self-contained and NOT part of the Metroplex, but UNT is the "Leading University of the Metroplex" after all.

I think when I went to school there, it was a little town north of Dallas. ...but there is development from the heart of Dallas all the way up through Denton. I think by definition, it's part of the metroplex. It IS a suburb, but so is McKinney, Richardson, Plano, Keller, Lewisville, etc... and they are all part of the Metroplex...

...McKinney to Denton is on it's way to full development. Dallas to Denton is almost fully developed. The drive from Dallas to Denton will look like the drive from Dallas to McKinney in a few short years.

Considering that the nickname has lasted some 20 or so years, I wouldn't say it's a passing fad. Why is Nebraska called the "Big Red?" Why is Alabama the "Crimson Tide?" Many schools have secondary nicknames (although in 'Bama's case, they don't have much of a choice--I mean, an elephant, really?) I consider it a matter of pride that we earned the nickname "Mean Green." It was no marketing ploy nor slick maneuver to garner more attention. Our school attracted attention through its playing. That's something to be proud of. Is the Doomsday Defense or the Steel Curtain a stupid marketing trick? We are the University of North Texas Mean Green Eagles. No one else in college football has the nickname "Mean Green." It's a distinguishing characteristic of the university that is now a part of us, whether you like it or not.

Guest JohnDenver

Maybe its just me and i'm thinking too much of this but I think when you alter some kind of history and/or tradition like this it needs to be discussed as to why and what was the thought process behind this.

I can honestly say that I haven't seen anyone complain about being called "Mean Green" -- until now.

It was a genius move to make it "official." Without having it be "official" we didn't get the phone number 877-MEAN-GREEN for student recruiting. We don't have the ability to stop Mickeys from having Mickeys Mean Green Malt Liquor. We don't have any right to the Simple Mean Green cleaner.. We open so many doors to the rest of the world by letting everyone else know WHAT we have been calling ourselves. Without letting the world know that we call ourselves the Mean Green and that we have historical claim to it, Marshall may start using it and we would be too little too late. I love that we took a stand and said MEAN GREEN is OUR moniker. It is like when all of a sudden Tulane starting using "Think Green" as their alumni support slogan... around that same time I saw UNT using it. Who was first? I dunno. We didn't really make it official, it wasn't all over the place.

Too many times have been late on staking our claims to traditions and we end up with something half-assed like "DFW's leading university." No wonder people think we are in Dallas.. that was our motto for 10 years! How can you stick out of the crowd with that motto?

ramble_OFF :thumbdown::bangin::pirate:

No I know its been around since the 60's...but i'm talking about OFFICIALLY. A&M has always been known for the 12th man...lets just call them the Texas A&M 12th men? I think the Mean Green is a perfect side nickname. Maybe its just me and i'm thinking too much of this but I think when you alter some kind of history and/or tradition like this it needs to be discussed as to why and what was the thought process behind this.

is there an emoticon that bangs its head on a desk?

Its 'mean green' because it's a hell of a lot cooler than an 'eagles'. It is unique. Our mascot is the Eagle, we are the 'Mean Green'. It IS marketable. It works for Alabama. Not unlike the 'Crimson Tide', most everyone already knows us as the 'Mean Green'. The sportscasters call us the 'mean green'. We wear green uniforms.

embrace it. love it. buy the new logo gear. help create a lasting tradition.