Old School Unt On Nttv

BleedGreen

I am watching my mentor, Bill Mercer, right now on Channel 22 in Denton doing a preview of the 1988 season. I was only 16 and in high school and had no idea I was going to UNT at the time. But, I have heard great things about the 1988 team. Scott Davis was a sophomore, and I got a sneak peak of some 1987 highlights featuring Marcus Camper. Neat experience seeing this.

Someone....Tell me about the 1988 team....please daddy....lol.

Hey Bleed Green, I'm glad you got to see that. I'm the Programming Director over at ntTV and I was hoping somebody on the board would find it!

You might want to watch Friday's episode, it's the UNT/Texas game that is still talked about today... UNT dominated most of the game but then the Longhorns came back and won thanks to two VERY controversial touchdown calls. It's interesting to see how Corky Nelson reacts to the calls; he was actually pretty classy about the whole thing...

Oh and while I'm "plugging" ntTV, if you can't make it to the men's game tomorrow, you can watch it live at 7:00 pm on our channel. But by all means, GO TO THE GAME if you can!

Go Mean Green!

Hey Bleed Green, I'm glad you got to see that. I'm the Programming Director over at ntTV and I was hoping somebody on the board would find it!

You might want to watch Friday's episode, it's the UNT/Texas game that is still talked about today... UNT dominated most of the game but then the Longhorns came back and won thanks to two VERY controversial touchdown calls. It's interesting to see how Corky Nelson reacts to the calls; he was actually pretty classy about the whole thing...

Oh and while I'm "plugging" ntTV, if you can't make it to the men's game tomorrow, you can watch it live at 7:00 pm on our channel. But by all means, GO TO THE GAME if you can!

Go Mean Green!

Great! Please continue to show old UNT games - football and basketball. I'll keep watching for sure. Let me also suggest three games from the past. UNT vs Oklahoma State football from Stillwater 1994 or 1995 (I think 1995), UNT vs. McNeese State football 1994 and UNT vs. Nicholls State basketball - 1994 (Jesse Ratliff scored 42 that night and pulled down 22 rebounds and ended up SI College Basketball top 5 or some such.

Keep up the good work. I am a former RTVF major and NTTV person (I am not asking you to show the above games because I was on the broadcasts....lol. Those are actually good games)...

Great! Please continue to show old UNT games - football and basketball. I'll keep watching for sure. Let me also suggest three games from the past. UNT vs Oklahoma State football from Stillwater 1994 or 1995 (I think 1995), UNT vs. McNeese State football 1994 and UNT vs. Nicholls State basketball - 1994 (Jesse Ratliff scored 42 that night and pulled down 22 rebounds and ended up SI College Basketball top 5 or some such.

Keep up the good work. I am a former RTVF major and NTTV person (I am not asking you to show the above games because I was on the broadcasts....lol. Those are actually good games)...

I'll see if I can grab those games from the archive and put them on sometime. Thanks for the input and thanks for watching!

I am watching my mentor, Bill Mercer, right now on Channel 22 in Denton doing a preview of the 1988 season. I was only 16 and in high school and had no idea I was going to UNT at the time. But, I have heard great things about the 1988 team. Scott Davis was a sophomore, and I got a sneak peak of some 1987 highlights featuring Marcus Camper. Neat experience seeing this.

Someone....Tell me about the 1988 team....please daddy....lol.

I attended UNT 86-89. Man, that combination of Scott Davis and Marcus Camper was AMAZING! Those two guys would leave sencondaries baffled. Camper was small for a receiver but defensive backs could never keep up with him, he just always seemed open. Everyone praises the numbers of Mitch Maher, but to me, Scott Davis was the best quarterback (at least the funnest) I've ever watched at UNT. Very confident passer, threaded the needle, ball had great speed on it. Plus the guy could RUN. He would always lead the team in rushing every game. Head Coach Corky Nelson had the team doing a "Run & Shoot" offense. That year they were still Division 1-AA, and for about 5 or 6 weeks they were nationally ranked. Cant remember exactly, but I think that season or the season before they were #1 in Division I-AA for a couple weeks. All the home games that year were just about sold out. It was a very fun time back then. Even being Division I-AA, they still had about 3 Division IA opponents. Texas Tech, Rice, and Texas. Losing only to Texas in a heart-breaker. If you get the chance to watch the replay of that game, the winning pass from the Longhorns will make you sick. Terrible call by the official. Anyone who followed UNT that year knows, we won that game.

Edited by trud1966

I attended UNT 86-89. Man, that combination of Scott Davis and Marcus Camper was AMAZING! Those two guys would leave sencondaries baffled. Everyone praises the numbers of Mitch Maher, but to me, Scott Davis was the best quarterback (at least the funnest) I've ever watched at UNT. Very confident passer, threaded the needle, ball had great speed on it. Head Coach Corky Nelson had the team doing a "Run & Shoot" offense. That year they were still Division 1-AA, and for about 5 or 6 weeks they were nationally ranked. Cant remember exactly, but I think that season or the season before they were #1 in Division IA for a couple weeks. All the home games that year were just about sold out. It was a very fun time back then. Even being Division I-AA, they still had about 3 Division IA opponents. Texas Tech, Rice, and Texas. Losing only to Texas in a heart-breaker. If you get the chance to watch the replay of that game, the winning pass from the Longhorns will make you sick. Terrible call by the official. Anyone who followed UNT that year knows, we won that game.

I heard we got ripped off in the UT game and many are saying it was a conspiracy. I started going to UNT in 1990. THat was Scott Davis' senior year and Eric Pegram was on the team. It was Corky's last year. I think we underachieved that year, but we did beat SMU 14-7. My memory of that year was the classless act of NE Louisiana after they beat us at home in the home finale in 1990. That made me sick too.

The wins over Texas Tech and Rice during the '88 seasons were great as well. I have a copy of the Tech game but haven't been able to find one of the Rice game yet.

There were three controversial calls during the '88 game. Two catches and a fumble. After NT took the lead early in the game they recover a fumble from the Texas FB who is clearly standing up when the ball is pulled loose. NT jumps on it and starts to run off the field when the ref signals that the player was down. This would have given NT the ball out around the Texas' 20-30 yardline.

After trailing 21-7 at halftime Texas was able to come back and score the go ahead TD with 56 seconds remaining. It was one of the best nights I ever spent on 6th street after the game.

In 1991 the day of the rematch the Austin American Statesman ran a story that relived that game. Several Texas players and at least one coach admit that there was controversy and the overall theme of the article points out NT got a raw deal.

For several years I have asked that the NT SID place an asterisk next to this game, and place it as a win instead of a loss in the media guide.

Rick

I posted this on another thread, but it applies here too.

I'm very excited that there are so many new posters to the board. Welcome to all.

However, because of it I think it speaks volumes on how pitiful our history is of educating our athletic and traditional past to others who are currently at school. Current students have little knowledge of our past successes. And much of this stems from the lack of concern over our traditions and how little attention has been given to their passing on down.

Without rich traditions and school pride from day's of old, regardless of what you think is old, newer folks have little to go on with concerning on campus events such as athletics and their venues. Without that they usually don't get involved on campus and eventually move on in life after graduation never to return and donate back to their school. Hopefully this is being addressed as loud as possible in fish camp each new school year.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I'll see if I can grab those games from the archive and put them on sometime. Thanks for the input and thanks for watching!

Does NTTV and the RTVF Dept realize they could sell copies of these games to many fans and make some money on this deal?