Going Out In Style !

MeanGreen61

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

Dodge finishes in style

on Saturday -- no big surprise there. The Dragons beat Austin Westlake for their fourth state title in the last five years.

And now the Dodge era at UNT can really begin. Dodge will hire his staff in the next few days and begin recruiting.

I would be interested to hear what the expectations are among the UNT faithful for the next few months. Is it realistic for Dodge to land three players ranked among the top 100 in the area? Could he land five? And what about state-ranked recruits?

How Dodge forms his staff will also be interesting. Former UNT wide receiver Clayton George is on the way, and I would be willing to bet some Carroll assistants will also join the UNT staff. It will be intriguing to see if any current UNT assistants will be retained.

Head coaches on the college level often keep an assistant or two from the old staff that knows the school and the players, which can help smooth the transition. It could also help to have someone who has been on the road recruiting the last few years.

I can't imagine Dodge hiring a staff made entirely of current high school coaches.

Feel free to weigh in. Who would you keep off of the current UNT staff and what are your expectations in recruiting?

Don't forget Hurd.

Yep. Definitely him too. Anyone off those '01-'04 teams that hit the field with passion and love for NT would be great to bring back. The teams the last few years just didn't seem to have that same love and passion and when the guys from those teams came back you could tell they were pissed with the state of things.

A very late start in recruiting is not going to help, but I expect a group better than any DD has had in the last four years. It is funny that getting players on the DMN area list is now considered noteworthy. Even in NT's 1aa years they managed to get a handful of recruits on that list in most years. I think TD will pull in a few surprises and should be able to immediately get players that DD would not even try for. DD's recruiting strategy was basically focus on borderline prospects and hope for little competition. I think TD will go toe to toe with the lower tier of Texas Universities (non-Big 12) and won't lose recruits to Sun Belt schools.

A very late start in recruiting is not going to help, but I expect a group better than any DD has had in the last four years. It is funny that getting players on the DMN area list is now considered noteworthy. Even in NT's 1aa years they managed to get a handful of recruits on that list in most years. I think TD will pull in a few surprises and should be able to immediately get players that DD would not even try for. DD's recruiting strategy was basically focus on borderline prospects and hope for little competition. I think TD will go toe to toe with the lower tier of Texas Universities (non-Big 12) and won't lose recruits to Sun Belt schools.

I totaly agree with you. But I do think that he will be able to go up against some of the lower level Big 12 schools and win. TD is going down as one of the greatest HS coaches ever. Every high school athlete knows of him and what he has done. I wouldn't be surprised to see some commits change from other schools to NT. We just landed a transfer from Rice because of TD. I fully expect this years class to be better than any DD class.

I totaly agree with you. But I do think that he will be able to go up against some of the lower level Big 12 schools and win. TD is going down as one of the greatest HS coaches ever. Every high school athlete knows of him and what he has done. I wouldn't be surprised to see some commits change from other schools to NT. We just landed a transfer from Rice because of TD. I fully expect this years class to be better than any DD class.

I also think TD will do very well in recruiting. What DFW high school player has not heard the name Todd Dodge? I also think instead of having to shape high school players into his system he can now go find and recruit players that will already fit into his system, a huge difference. I bet he already has a list of exactly who he wants to go after.