Immediate Needs For The 2007 Football Team

SilverEagle

.....including Dennis Hopovac. Here are the areas of immediate need that I see, in the order of urgency.

Feel free to arrange them in your order of importance

FG kicker

D-Linemen

Linebackers (most of ours are Jr's)

DB's

O-Linemen

RB's

WR

TE

QB

I notice you put FG kicker at the top of the list and I cannot agree more. How many times do we see games coming down to the performance of a kicker? Answer... all the time. And what I find amazing is that very few universities (including the big boys) have a kicker on schlorship.

.....including Dennis Hopovac. Here are the areas of immediate need that I see, in the order of urgency.

FG kicker

D-Linemen

DB's

O-Linemen

RB's

WR

TE

QB

Did you watch any game this year????? We need a QB that can lead the team, there are 3 WR graduating that started, and we already have a kicker, Steven Woodward.

QB

WR

DL

OL

DB

LB

TE

RB

FG

I would believe most of the recruits will come from the DFW area and from HS's that DT and his asst coaches come from , plus maybe from HS coaching friends due to the late start in recruiting and will be based on the best available vs needs at this time. We have about 56 returning players on ship, including a highly recruited kicker, and most of last years recruits were red shirted. I am thankful DD did not burn ships after his termination.

Guest GrayEagleOne

FG kicker

D-Linemen

DB's

O-Linemen

RB's

WR

TE

QB

I haven't studied the list in depth but I don't think that we need a FG kicker. Woodard was rated 9th in the country in last year's kicking caravan. He came late and was redshirted because we had Hopovac coming back for his last year of eligibility. I think that he'll be just fine by the beginning of the season.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

1. QB - it all starts with the leadership at this positon.

2. O-line

3. D-line

The funny thing about the QB position is it affects both lines. An example we all know very well - Romo vs Bledsoe.

I can't wait to see what Dodge does with the existing QBs on the roster.

Good luck to Coach Dodge in tonight's game.

I notice you put FG kicker at the top of the list and I cannot agree more. How many times do we see games coming down to the performance of a kicker? Answer... all the time. And what I find amazing is that very few universities (including the big boys) have a kicker on schlorship.

I definately did not intend to put down our kicker here. I was speaking of football and kickers in general. Any school that signs a kicker out of high school on scholarship is unusual. They generally do not get a scholarship until soph or jr year if at all. And I do say that having a good kicker is a must (glad we have one).

I haven't studied the list in depth but I don't think that we need a FG kicker. Woodard was rated 9th in the country in last year's kicking caravan. He came late and was redshirted because we had Hopovac coming back for his last year of eligibility. I think that he'll be just fine by the beginning of the season.

Yes, he was highly rated coming out of HS, but he didn't beat out Hopovac.

Stick82, I'm not going to get too offended by your comment. But to answer your uncivil question, yes! I attended several games last year.

I've watched various North Texas QB's for over 40 years. The first one was Vidal Carlin (65 & 66). I consider myself a pretty good judge of QB's and IMHO the main thing that our current crop of QB's need is some Todd Dodge coaching. Nathan Tune has the most potential, but the rest of them would work just fine with some competent coaching/instruction/encouragement.

Meanwhile, we certainly need to sign a QB (or two) for the future, but the QB position is not the most urgent need on this team.

Yes, he was highly rated coming out of HS, but he didn't beat out Hopovac.

Stick82, I'm not going to get too offended by your comment. But to answer your uncivil question, yes! I attended several games last year.

I've watched various North Texas QB's for over 40 years. The first one was Vidal Carlin (65 & 66). I consider myself a pretty good judge of QB's and IMHO the main thing that our current crop of QB's need is some Todd Dodge coaching. Nathan Tune has the most potential, but the rest of them would work just fine with some competent coaching/instruction/encouragement.

Meanwhile, we certainly need to sign a QB (or two) for the future, but the QB position is not the most urgent need on this team.

I agree. I find it extremely difficult to believe that of all the current and former qbs on our roster that not one of them is worth a damn. I think our quarterbacks are fine, they just need some instruction and blocking. I guarantee you that had Zac Taylor come to UNT instead of Nebraska, we would still be having this same discussion. Behind that line, with that coach, no qb was destined to be successful.

I think:

DL

LB

OL

DB

WR

QB

RB

TE

FG

Our defense was getting pushed back almost all season long so I think we need to beef up our defense. I think we have a great RB combo between Super Jamario and Evan Robertson (aka Scooter). I think in the QB role Woody Wilson was pulled to quick and then he never really got another shot at it. But all I have heard about Tune is good stuff so I think we can make something of our QB’s right now.

OL

DL

WR

LB

DB

QB

RB

K

I agree with you the most out of anybody else's list, it seemed like 80% of the offensive plays there was someone in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped.. I don't care if you hav Mike Vick and Barry Sanders playing for you, if a defense is consitently getting that kind of pressure, there is no way you are going to get a passing or a running game going.. The one thing I would change is moving the Linebackers above the WRs, the linebackers last year couldn't run Zone coverages, they never got enough depth, I don't know how many time I saw the opposing team's QB throw it over a LB's head for a wide open guy 10 yards behind the LB's.. And I like how you put the kicker last, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, most big name schools don't have a kicker on scholarship, there is a reason for this, they come a dime a dozen, Sure there are a few "elite" kickers in the game, but the rest are pretty much the same, money from 30 yards and closer, and a roll of the dice from anything further