How Bout That Sun Belt Conference?

FirefightnRick

Couple of observations from that bowl:

* Troy is fast and physical. The caliber of athlete in the SBC has obviously improved. Big kudos to Troy, because they kicked Rice's butt.

* Rice was S-L-O-W. RAC's that should/would have been 15-20 yard gains instead went for 4-8 yards.

* Good illustration that the spread offense/fling the ball all over the field is not a panacea if you don't have competitive athletes to run it--and an undisciplined, unprepared team trying to make it work. Rice didn't show up last night, but give credit for a lot of that to Troy. They obviously brought their game with them.

Great win for that program.

I think FFR's point was that all we, SBC member fans, hear is how bad the SBC is, and how we should move out of the conference.

Thank you Lifer for "Getting It".

We have a lot of folks on our own board that continues to type "The Belt Sucks". Go to any other message board and you'll find people typing the same thing, including C-USA boards. All during the coaching hire period it seemed as if every message board I read had a "Todd Dodge made a horrible move going to North Texas because....." and within that there were always numerous "SuckBelt" comments. As people run out of criticisms of North Texas, in the very least they always seem to fall back on their stupid excuse of "well, their in the SuckBelt Conference". That No-Talent hack(take your pick which one) on the "Lil Ball O hate" show mentioned it several times during her rant about North Texas the other day. So what's their excuse, now?

Rick

Ticket sales are not what the Motor City Bowl would like, but from what I've read, MTSU is far ahead of what Memphis sold!

Its a crap bowl in a crap location (sorry, Detroit lovers). Good to see MTSU in a bowl, but its like Troy in the Silicon Valley Classic. You can't expect a lot of fans to be able to make that kind of trip especially not to go there... If the tables were turned and Troy was in Detroit and MTSU in New Orleans I would expect ticket sales to be reversed as well.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

Its a crap bowl in a crap location (sorry, Detroit lovers). Good to see MTSU in a bowl, but its like Troy in the Silicon Valley Classic. You can't expect a lot of fans to be able to make that kind of trip especially not to go there... If the tables were turned and Troy was in Detroit and MTSU in New Orleans I would expect ticket sales to be reversed as well.

Troy to the Silicon Valley (San Jose) is not a driveable trip, so I understand their low numbers last year. But MTSU to Detroit is the same distance as UNT to New Orleans, about a 9 hour drive. And since the Muts have not been to a bowl in 40+ years you would think there would be some following up there. NT had the disadvantage of traveling during the week Dec 14-18 when many workers were in their last week before the holidays and public school age kids and teachers were still in school/finals and couldn't go. No such excuses for the Muters. Just poor support. :angry:

Troy to the Silicon Valley (San Jose) is not a driveable trip, so I understand their low numbers last year. But MTSU to Detroit is the same distance as UNT to New Orleans, about a 9 hour drive. And since the Muts have not been to a bowl in 40+ years you would think there would be some following up there. NT had the disadvantage of traveling during the week Dec 14-18 when many workers were in their last week before the holidays and public school age kids and teachers were still in school/finals and couldn't go. No such excuses for the Muters. Just poor support. :angry:

Drivable yes, but still in Detroit in the dead of winter. Not exactly the most exciting (or safe) place to be going right after Christmas. You should expect some support and like I said if MTSU was going to NO I would expect them to sell 8-10k tickets. Its just a bad bowl in a bad location against a team that doesn't draw fans.

Reads like someone that has never been to Detroit in the winter. Comparing fans going to NO even post Katrina and Detroit is not close to being fair even if the distances involved are identical.

Reads like someone that has never been to Detroit in the winter. Comparing fans going to NO even post Katrina and Detroit is not close to being fair even if the distances involved are identical.

Ya, I can read the weather reports in Detriot too...no snow, temps in the 30-40's. Big deal. BTW, the game is indoors at 72 degees.

Ya, I can read the weather reports in Detriot too...no snow, temps in the 30-40's. Big deal. BTW, the game is indoors at 72 degees.

Now I know you have never been, if you think the only difference in Detroit and NO is the weather. By the way I have not read the weather reports in Detroit. If you are just going for the game and nothing else you have a point, both games are inside and there are no significant differences. However, if you wish to treat yourself to a few other activities imo there is a lot of difference. Do you think the MUTS would only bring 3000 to the NO Bowl? I wager that their turnout would be similar to NT's. There is a good reason why NT has fans going to the NO Bowl that don't make two games a year in Denton. By the way I have been to both places many times, have you?

Edited by GrandGreen

It's the day after Christmas, man. MEMPHIS sent less fans to that game. Give us a break.

It's the day after Christmas, man. MEMPHIS sent less fans to that game. Give us a break.

Hey, we understand. Hell, NT had to change it's school schedule one year just to make one of our bowls happen. I can't imagine what those with family's and jobs or whatever that can't get away are going through right now. I'd be pulling my hair out if it were me.

We're rooting for you dude. MTSU can win this game.

Rick

Now I know you have never been, if you think the only difference in Detroit and NO is the weather. By the way I have not read the weather reports in Detroit. If you are just going for the game and nothing else you have a point, both games are inside and there are no significant differences. However, if you wish to treat yourself to a few other activities imo there is a lot of difference. Do you think the MUTS would only bring 3000 to the NO Bowl? I wager that their turnout would be similar to NT's. There is a good reason why NT has fans going to the NO Bowl that don't make two games a year in Denton. By the way I have been to both places many times, have you?

I agree Detroit is no New Orleans as a destination, and no I have not been to Detroit and have no desire to go. Been to the NOBowl 4 times. I would hope MTSU would bring more to New Orleans.

Drivable yes, but still in Detroit in the dead of winter. Not exactly the most exciting (or safe) place to be going right after Christmas. You should expect some support and like I said if MTSU was going to NO I would expect them to sell 8-10k tickets. Its just a bad bowl in a bad location against a team that doesn't draw fans.

I found this on the MAC Board and thought it was funny; the guys up North failed to see the humor . . . go figure!

The Blue Raiders wound up in Detroit after going 7-5 and sharing the Sun Belt title with Troy. This isn't much of a post season blessing for them, since Detroit sucks (even in summer)

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/story/2006/12/17/163626/26

I hope the muts win--Good for the Sunbelt! Good for NT! How many teams on the '07 schedule

will be bowl teams? Oklahoma, Arkansas, Troy, and the muts--am I missing any other teams?

I watched the NO Bowl--Wow! That Troy defense was great! Destroyed the Rice spread offense-

I noticed the Central Michigan Chippewas roster has 4 Texas players, all from the DFW metroplex.

Duane Brooks,QB,Irving MacArthur;Arron Carr,DB,Arlington Bowie;Barron Miles,DB,Desoto;and

Chris Morris,WR,Plano East--all 4 are Freshmen. Maybe some of the top DFW players may not be

leaving the great state of Texas now that Coach Dodge is in charge!