Riley Dodge Named 5a Offensive Player Of The Year

NT80

Carroll's Dodge named 5A offensive player of year

07:42 PM CST on Friday, December 22, 2006

Associated Press

Southlake Carroll quarterback Riley Dodge was named Class 5A offensive player of the year by The Associated Press on Friday, marking the fifth straight year a Carroll quarterback has won the award.

In his first season as a starter, Dodge led unbeaten Carroll to its fifth straight Class 5A final. The junior has thrown for more than 3,800 yards and 51 touchdowns in 15 games this season.

Dodge follows Greg McElroy (2005), Chase Daniel (2004, '03) and Chase Wasson (2002), who also won the award for Carroll with similarly impressive numbers.

"I'm speechless," said Dodge, the son of Carroll head coach Todd Dodge. "I've always wanted to get that award, to follow those guys and keep the tradition alive for Southlake."

Cedar Park linebacker Justin Allen and San Benito lineman Joey Nunez were selected co-defensive players of the year.

Carroll, which has won 47 consecutive games, plays for its third straight title Saturday against Austin Westlake in the Division I championship. It will be Todd Dodge's last game as Carroll coach before jumping to the college ranks as head coach at North Texas.

Selections for the 17th annual Associated Press Sports Editors all-state team were based on regular-season performance, and ballots were cast by sports writers from across Texas.

Edited by NT80